7 SAUM vs 284 Win

I have 3 284's two of which are clip fed - limiting OAL to 2.8" One loves the Barnes 140 TSX bullet driven at 3125 muzzle velocity. This rifle now has 11,000 rounds thru it and is in need of a third barrel. Purchased in 1984, this early A-bolt once shot a 10 round group of bullet weights from 130 Gr to 154 Gr into 1 1/4" at 100 yds with it's factory barrel. 5 shot groups with the same bullets were nearly all below 1/2" and some were approaching 1/4" At about 5000 rounds thru it the original barrel was swapped for a Shillen #3 and I went with a 23" length. Groups returned to the 3/8" standard and another 5000 rounds have been down the tube.

I have 3 - 284s. Win M88, win M100, Savage M99. Factory ammo is limited to Winchest 150 grain, but it works nice on deer ranging from 35 to 300 yards in my experience. (But I do equate the 300 yard shot to BS luck as much as skill as it was a big buck standing broadside waiting for the 8 does in the cattails to follow him. Not sure who was more surprised when the bullet him in the heart).

284 brass is still pretty easily found. I am amazed that people can find 7 SAUM brass. In Canada, you will find hens teeth as commonly as the SAUM cartridges either in ammo or brass.

Another option is the 7 WSM. Brass and ammo are still available although getting tougher to find, but if guys can find SAUM brass, then you can find WSM brass. You can make a nice lightweight gun with long range hitting power with it.

I have 3 - 284s. Win M88, win M100, Savage M99. Factory ammo is limited to Winchest 150 grain, but it works nice on deer ranging from 35 to 300 yards in my experience. (But I do equate the 300 yard shot to BS luck as much as skill as it was a big buck standing broadside waiting for the 8 does in the cattails to follow him. Not sure who was more surprised when the bullet him in the heart).

284 brass is still pretty easily found. I am amazed that people can find 7 SAUM brass. In Canada, you will find hens teeth as commonly as the SAUM cartridges either in ammo or brass.

Another option is the 7 WSM. Brass and ammo are still available although getting tougher to find, but if guys can find SAUM brass, then you can find WSM brass. You can make a nice lightweight gun with long range hitting power with it.
I have no problem finding 7 Saum in Canada and I know where there is some ADG brass right now.

Good to hear. I guess it's like anything... I keep hearing you can't find 7 WSM or 325 WSM brass and I just picked up some of those and 300 of 257 roberts brass that I'm going to load up for my 257 AI.

I was looking hard at a 7 SAUM that was for sale here in Saskatchewan but everytime I went looking for brass I couldn't find any. I eventually decided not to buy it but it was only because it was also a little too high priced for a Rem model 7. I already have a 6.5 and 350 Rem Mag and finding brass for them was tough but doable.

Good to hear. I guess it's like anything... I keep hearing you can't find 7 WSM or 325 WSM brass and I just picked up some of those and 300 of 257 roberts brass that I'm going to load up for my 257 AI.

I was looking hard at a 7 SAUM that was for sale here in Saskatchewan but everytime I went looking for brass I couldn't find any. I eventually decided not to buy it but it was only because it was also a little too high priced for a Rem model 7. I already have a 6.5 and 350 Rem Mag and finding brass for them was tough but doable.
Glad to hear Canadians are still allowed to buy rifles.....

Well... I'm kind of wishing that they would stop us. I just bought (literally 5 min ago I transferred the funds) for a Remington 660 in 6.5 Remington Magnum.

The wife was all suspicious last night because I cooked a big pot of chili AND washed all the dishes and she was like... what did you buy??? I was like nothing. Then I stumbled upon this one as it was posted for sale yesterday. So now I'm wondering... is there room for a hot plate in the dog house to heat that chili now???

I always want a 350 rem mag for he collection
Gotta admit... the Rem 600 feels nice in the hands. I don't care for the half cut bolt end (flat on bottom and round on top) but the 18" barrel makes for a super easy carrying gun that's for sure and it swings quick but steady. I haven't shot it yet so not sure what the recoil is like. Apparently (cause it's where I found lots of ammunition for it) it's a really popular cartridge still with people on the west coast (British Columbia) as a great bear protection round. When I talked to the store owner he was like... yep I keep 20-25 boxes in stock from HSM and there's always reloading dies here (so I grabbed a set of those as well lol).

I don't have rifles chambered in either of cartridges you mentioned. I've had many 7RM's and currently have a 280AI. Now I want a 7SAUM with a shorter barrel to hunt suppressed. As Feenix mentioned above it is all about preference and purpose.

I'm committed now. Another 2 boxes on the way.
Build it Mark !!! 😉

IMG_6295.jpeg

18" 7SAUM
IMG_6297.jpeg

26.750" with suppressor/e-brake
IMG_6304.jpeg

Afterburners !!

Last edited:

Recent Posts