7 mm SHERMAN SHORTMAG vs 7 SAUM

Thats a beautiful rifle!! Thanks for the post and keep us informed with progress. FYI, I would try about 58 RL23, give or take, if you have some.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep my eye out for RL23. This really has been the easiest cartridge I've worked up. I haven't even played with seating depth. I did velocity/pressure testing with 3 rounds at each charge weight. 63.3 got me something like a 2fps ES so that's where I thought I'd try for now. I had planned to do seating depth testing after that but thought I'd wait until at least the first 100 rounds before trying to fine tune the load. Given the most recent results though, I'm just going to leave that one be and call it good until I get another powder to try.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep my eye out for RL23. This really has been the easiest cartridge I've worked up. I haven't even played with seating depth. I did velocity/pressure testing with 3 rounds at each charge weight. 63.3 got me something like a 2fps ES so that's where I thought I'd try for now. I had planned to do seating depth testing after that but thought I'd wait until at least the first 100 rounds before trying to fine tune the load. Given the most recent results though, I'm just going to leave that one be and call it good until I get another powder to try.
The 7 SS is known to be very easy to tune. Efficient cartridges tend to be that way.

I've been shooting awhile and now looking to go beyond the 6.5 and 6 creedmoors I have. I've been looking into the 7SS and seriously considering these. I'm wanting something that will not be full magnum size, but for something to look use very long BC bullets from 1400-1mile. These are very appealing. I have several impact SA actions today, but would these be better suited for mid length to long action better?

Id go Xm-Xm plus for sure with the heavier class bullets. That cartridge has a lot to offer in performance.
Have you spoken with Elkaholic directly? I would imagine he can give valuable suggestions.
Hes the mastermind behind the designs.

Just finished loading for a 7SS
Defiance Anti SA
Gunwerks Magnus
24" Proof CF
Hawkins Flush mags

IMG_4914.png

IMG_4904.jpeg

IMG_4903.jpeg

Nice looking rig. I'm thinking the XM plus with a chassis would fit my ELR needs nicely.

The Xm would be better suited for 184-195s

The load was
RL26 60gr (max in this rifle)
Fed210m
180gr berger HVLDs
Can't remember the coal with out my notes but I'm jumping them .010"