7 MM SHERMAN MAG FIRST LOOK

I've been dragging my feet on chambering a new 8 twist proof barrel in stw. I've always loved that cartridge and have had one for close to 15 years. Even milled the receiver for the long Wyatt's box to seat bullets out to 3.9". I may just be selling all my stw brass and try something new to fling the 195s. Appreciate your desire to make cartridges with a common sense approach! I'm excited to see how things progress with this!

In this configuration, the neck is about .308" length, and in conjunction with the 40 degree shoulder, the flame point will be well inside the neck. I understand what you're saying but it might be a matter of getting reasonably priced brass?

I am just looking at it from a case capacity standpoint. I have had a SAUM, WSM, 7Rem, 7LRM, 7-300 win, and 28. The LRM capacity is around 88 the 7-300 is around 94. Again I understand there are a plethora of differing opinions but I feel 90 grains h20 capacity is perfect for the 7. The LRM is close to perfect but brass sucks. The 7-300 Win is easy and efficient but just a little hard on throats and I am out on the 28 as it is far too much throat wear for me.

And to clarify I understand that just bumping the shoulder angle a little is not going to take it to 90 grains.

Last edited:
I am just looking at it from a case capacity standpoint. I have had a SAUM, WSM, 7Rem, 7LRM, 7-300 win, and 28. The LRM capacity is around 88 the 7-300 is around 94. Again I understand there are a plethora of differing opinions but I feel 90 grains h20 capacity is perfect for the 7. The LRM is close to perfect but brass sucks. The 7-300 Win is easy and efficient but just a little hard on throats and I am out on the 28 as it is far too much throat were for me.

And to clarify I understand that just bumping the shoulder angle a little is not going to take it to 90 grains.

yes, just bumping the shoulder to 40 degrees to lengthen the neck might be 1 grain. To lower the capacity 10 grains would mean shortening the body about . 200".

yes, just bumping the shoulder to 40 degrees to lengthen the neck might be 1 grain. To lower the capacity 10 grains would mean shortening the body about . 200".
I think you are spot on. I like the idea of using the prc case, I would just do what I said. I am interested in seeing what this case will do with 195s and h1000.

Here is a first look at a fully formed 7 SM loaded with a 195 Berger at 3.665" to the lands. This combo should shoot very well at 3.650". 30 PRC for comparison.View attachment 158553The plan is to have reamers by January and head stamped brass by February. Dies should be available by March or you could even bush down a 30 SM die if you couldn't stand the wait! :D
I'm digging it. Got an stw. Man does she shoot. But it took some doing to get the magazine long enough to fit loaded 180s.

I am just looking at it from a case capacity standpoint. I have had a SAUM, WSM, 7Rem, 7LRM, 7-300 win, and 28. The LRM capacity is around 88 the 7-300 is around 94. Again I understand there are a plethora of differing opinions but I feel 90 grains h20 capacity is perfect for the 7. The LRM is close to perfect but brass sucks. The 7-300 Win is easy and efficient but just a little hard on throats and I am out on the 28 as it is far too much throat wear for me.

I'm thinking the same....

A Sherman improved version of the LRM would be of my preference too, but with a slightly shortened neck over the LRM. With around 92 grain case capacity.

IMO - It would be a good compromise between burning up barrels and pushing the heavy high BC 195's at around 3100 fps. Also, we'd have more choices in powder availability (faster burning) and thus be more efficient with shorter barrels.

Problem with the LRM was all about the crappy brass when it was introduced, of which ADG could easily fix. An improved version of the LRM would just be icing on the cake...

I'm thinking the same....

A Sherman improved version of the LRM would be of my preference too, but with a slightly shortened neck over the LRM. With around 92 grain case capacity.

IMO - It would be a good compromise between burning up barrels and pushing the heavy high BC 195's at around 3100 fps. Also, we'd have more choices in powder availability (faster burning) and thus be more efficient with shorter barrels.

Problem with the LRM was all about the crappy brass when it was introduced, of which ADG could easily fix. An improved version of the LRM would just be icing on the cake...
I dont disagree with what you guys are saying but again, it comes down to economics of whats available without completely retooling for a new cartridge. $$$$$$$$

I dont disagree with what you guys are saying but again, it comes down to economics of whats available without completely retooling for a new cartridge. $$$$$$$$

I totally get that and agree. Many times it all about what we can do with regards to tooling and money and what we wish we could do...

Your 7mm Max will be be bit more efficient and the cases will undoubtedly last longer compared to a 28 Nosler. There is a lot to like here...

I totally get that and agree. Many times it all about what we can do with regards to tooling and money and what we wish we could do...

Your 7mm Max will be be bit more efficient and the cases will undoubtedly last longer compared to a 28 Nosler. There is a lot to like here...
Exactly! The 7Max will run efficiently at 2950-3000 with a 195 with good case and barrel life. The 7 SM will run 200' faster but with 20+ grains more capacity. It should still have better barrel life than a Nosler or stw

I have a case capacity of 91 grains in a wildcat 7mm weatherby I made with a 35 degree shoulder... The norma brass hardens up and shoots forever after it is formed.... I have whidden dies that full length size that match my chamber.... My creamer will give me plenty of barrels too...

Attachments

• IMG_20190718_205408_678.jpg
    IMG_20190718_205408_678.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 152
I have a case capacity of 91 grains in a wildcat 7mm weatherby I made with a 35 degree shoulder... The norma brass hardens up and shoots forever after it is formed.... I have whidden dies that full length size that match my chamber.... My creamer will give me plenty of barrels too...
Creamer not creamer... Phones

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.