7 mm SHERMAN SHORTMAG vs 7 SAUM

I've got a bit of a dilemma. I want to run the 180gr ELD-M at 3000fps give or take, that's the goal. I'm going to order the proof soon. Settled on Sendero Lite according to calculators 1in8 or 1in8.44 will stabilize it. I've been leaning toward 24" because i know all too well i'm going to run it suppressed almost exclusively. That said given the nature of this bullet (long bearing surface) i think it's going to be inherently harder to get it to 3000 than say a 180gr Hybrid. So do i go 26 or 24? On one hand i'm a huge fan of shorter rifles and if i could get away with it i'd love to with the 24" + the omega gives me roughly 31" or 30" OAL of the barrel. Add those two inches and it's the same length as my comp gun with my 9" TBAC. Maybe i should just do 26" with a 1in8?

I've got a bit of a dilemma. I want to run the 180gr ELD-M at 3000fps give or take, that's the goal. I'm going to order the proof soon. Settled on Sendero Lite according to calculators 1in8 or 1in8.44 will stabilize it. I've been leaning toward 24" because i know all too well i'm going to run it suppressed almost exclusively. That said given the nature of this bullet (long bearing surface) i think it's going to be inherently harder to get it to 3000 than say a 180gr Hybrid. So do i go 26 or 24? On one hand i'm a huge fan of shorter rifles and if i could get away with it i'd love to with the 24" + the omega gives me roughly 31" or 30" OAL of the barrel. Add those two inches and it's the same length as my comp gun with my 9" TBAC. Maybe i should just do 26" with a 1in8?
BC is king, and with the 180 eldm for hunting 50 to 70 fps is not going to hurt much. Based off my 6.5ss you can push it a little harder to get where you want. I'm going with 22" on my 7ss.
Mike

BC is king, and with the 180 eldm for hunting 50 to 70 fps is not going to hurt much. Based off my 6.5ss you can push it a little harder to get where you want. I'm going with 22" on my 7ss.
Mike

Rich told me 3000 should be achievable with the 24" I guess i just want it to be achievable with ease, i suppose. Going off my limited experience with dad's 6.5 SAUM i'm not quite where i want to be velocity wise. You're right ultimately BC is king and 50-70fps here or there isn't going to make that much difference. My goal with the 6.5 SAUM with dad's rifle finished at 23" was 140s at 3050fps. I'm at 2934fps last i checked with 61gr of H1000 though i've recently switched to RL26 in hope of achieving a little more desired results. Supposedly it should speed up too. Was going on that basis that maybe i should stick to 26", that said you bring up some valid points Mike and that little bit of velocity difference isn't going to equate to all that much in the end. Thank you sir, sticking with 24".

I'll be honest was really dreading those 2" i know people say it doesn't matter but just moving in and out of a truck, cabin, woods, confinement, you name it with cans immediately brings the OAL of the rifle to your attention. Hell that's the sole premise that TL3 is setup as a 18" 6.5x47 right now. Got tired of fighting my 32" suppressed 17lb comp gun hunting.

My 26 inch bartlien 6.5ss sped up right around 150 rounds I gained about 60 fps or so. I'm confident I can push the 180 eldm to 2950 in a 22"with RL26.I'm with you 30+ inch suppessed sucks to carry / hunt with.
Mike

Just for comparison I'm pushing a 140 hyb with RL26 in a 26 inch tube at 3189 with no sign of pressure in the ss. You can do that with a 6.5 gap, but thats stomping in it and brass is dead fast. I got all the way up to 3280 befor I really saw hard bolt lift and flat primers and I have 10 plus realoads on this brass with that 3189 load.
Mike

My 26 inch bartlien 6.5ss sped up right around 150 rounds I gained about 60 fps or so. I'm confident I can push the 180 eldm to 2950 in a 22"with RL26.I'm with you 30+ inch suppessed sucks to carry / hunt with.
Mike

What twist are you going with for the 7SS? Also what 180gr pill are you planning on using?

Just for comparison I'm pushing a 140 hyb with RL26 in a 26 inch tube at 3189 with no sign of pressure in the ss. You can do that with a 6.5 gap, but thats stomping in it and brass is dead fast. I got all the way up to 3280 befor I really saw hard bolt lift and flat primers and I have 10 plus realoads on this brass with that 3189 load.
Mike

Yup that's the detriment to the GAP at the moment hornady brass might as well be molded clay. I've always used Lapua, Nosler/Norma, and never had much if any experience with lesser quality brass. It's pretty evident with the Hornady at least in terms of pushing that is.

What twist are you going with for the 7SS? Also what 180gr pill are you planning on using?
I'm going with an 8 twist proof sendero, and the 180 eldm. Have some right here in front of me, and the bearing surface is not as long as you think. I tried to get evolved to get me a 7.5 twist but proof shot it down from what that told me...
Mike

I'm going with an 8 twist proof sendero, and the 180 eldm. Have some right here in front of me, and the bearing surface is not as long as you think. I tried to get evolved to get me a 7.5 twist but proof shot it down from what that told me...
Mike

That's where i'm ordering from. So i guess to that end 8.44 will work, or will have to work. According to hornady at least that 7.5 twist puts it a .816 G1/.411 G7 at mach 2.25. I don't know Proof's turn around time but i assumed it was pretty slow on the carbon fiber barrels. Also couldn't tell if this was a sale or if they dropped their pricing?

There is one guy on the hide with a 24" sendero lite at 8.24" for 730$ free shipping. Idk i'd rather go through evolved in this case.

EDIT

Scratch that. Found one from Gunware

Last edited:
That's where i'm ordering from. So i guess to that end 8.44 will work, or will have to work. According to hornady at least that 7.5 twist puts it a .816 G1/.411 G7 at mach 2.25. I don't know Proof's turn around time but i assumed it was pretty slow on the carbon fiber barrels. Also couldn't tell if this was a sale or if they dropped their pricing?

There is one guy on the hide with a 24" sendero lite at 8.24" for 730$ free shipping. Idk i'd rather go through evolved in this case.
I posted it somewhere on here befor, not sure what thread. but I spoke with a couple guys on lrsu that are shooting the 180 eldm here in Utah out of a 9 twist 7 rem mag. They are saying that they are getting a spot on bc of .800 verified out to 1600 yards. I just want the 8 twist so I can stabilise at lower altitudes if I draw a tag somewhere else and need it.
Mike

My 1-9 twist will not stabilize the 180 eldm or 195 eol to my liking. Im at 2650 ft. Shoots the 180 berger vld into one hole though. I have a proof sendero 26" 1-8 waiting to be spun up though.

Decisions!!:D

Ordered the 24" 1in8 sendero light. Though got and error and tried again, then got another error. Cards been charged twice and have no order confirmation lol. Got to call them in the morning.

I have a 7ss with a 26" bart. I'm getting 2930 fps with the 180 eld'm. Haven't shot it a lot so maybe it will speed up in another 50-70 rounds. Was hoping for 3000 just cause it's a nice round number but if I don't get there I don't get there.

Regards