7 mm SHERMAN SHORTMAG vs 7 SAUM

60 grains of h4831sc with a 180 berger vld hunter, shoots lights out. Right at 2900 fps. Doesnt seem to group as well with Rl26.
3D5E20F6-07E2-4D6C-87A7-B548019F296A.jpeg
What an awesome little cartridge. Cant wait to take this lil gem hunting.

Yes i am very happy with it so far. Yes it is a 23" bartlein 2b. Now that i put a muzzle brake on it i am going to try out the Rl26 again. Now that you have used the rl26 extensively have you noticed much temp sensitivity? When will headstamped brass be available? Will it be Norma? That will be great!

Well Rich i didn't realize that was you i was talking to on that PRC thread. After some reading on your cartridge, i'm sold. Seems to have remedied the glaring weakness of the 7 SAUM which was OAL restrictions. Velocity is outstanding, brass is lasting as you said. So yeah i'm 100% on board, going to try and find a barrel this summer for my TL3 to be spun up. Looking to snag a proof if i can catch a deal on one and it doesn't require inlet on my EH1, but might stick with a #4 bartlein. I'll be cutting to 24" to save a bit of length with the can. Maybe shoot for 3000-3100 with 175/180s, if applicable without too much pressure.

What is the FB on the reamer specs? I imagine i'd have it throated long like i did our 6.5 SAUM. Which i had the lands at 2.970 with a 140gr EH which was the OAL restriction of the alpha and accurate mags we're using. I've been running everything 10 thou off the lands so cutting it close. Might cut shorter than that to allow room to chase but idk that it would be shot that much.

Have you tried H1000 or 7977? We've been running H1000 but it's so **** dirty i stopped and went to RL26 which from my understanding allows more speed regardless. 7977 should be cleaner though going on my previous experience with both enduron powders (4166,4451). Just curious as i know those two powders are extremely temp stable, where as RL26 seems to have various opinions on it's stability.

Well Rich i didn't realize that was you i was talking to on that PRC thread. After some reading on your cartridge, i'm sold. Seems to have remedied the glaring weakness of the 7 SAUM which was OAL restrictions. Velocity is outstanding, brass is lasting as you said. So yeah i'm 100% on board, going to try and find a barrel this summer for my TL3 to be spun up. Looking to snag a proof if i can catch a deal on one and it doesn't require inlet on my EH1, but might stick with a #4 bartlein. I'll be cutting to 24" to save a bit of length with the can. Maybe shoot for 3000-3100 with 175/180s, if applicable without too much pressure.

What is the FB on the reamer specs? I imagine i'd have it throated long like i did our 6.5 SAUM. Which i had the lands at 2.970 with a 140gr EH which was the OAL restriction of the alpha and accurate mags we're using. I've been running everything 10 thou off the lands so cutting it close. Might cut shorter than that to allow room to chase but idk that it would be shot that much.

Have you tried H1000 or 7977? We've been running H1000 but it's so **** dirty i stopped and went to RL26 which from my understanding allows more speed regardless. 7977 should be cleaner though going on my previous experience with both enduron powders (4166,4451). Just curious as i know those two powders are extremely temp stable, where as RL26 seems to have various opinions on it's stability.

You should be good with the throat on the reamer as it was designed for the 180 Berger. Also, you should be able to run 3000 fps even with a 24" barrel. H1000 or 7977 will give you 2900+ as will RL23

You should be good with the throat on the reamer as it was designed for the 180 Berger. Also, you should be able to run 3000 fps even with a 24" barrel. H1000 or 7977 will give you 2900+ as will RL23

Awesome, i figured i'd be a bit behind with H1000 or 7977. I've gotten RL26 on the basis that we can get a jump in velocity on dad's SAUM. Assume it works as advertised with minimal temperature shift, i'll probably stick with it.

So you've got formed brass ready and stocked? What about current smith's who have that reamer in their inventory?

Also dies, am i stuck with whidden or can i get redding?

The brass I have now is prepped Norma which is ready to fire form. The ADG head stamped brass, which is coming, will also need some fire forming.
I have smiths that I can recommend or send a reamer to yours.
Whidden dies are the only option at this time.....rich