7 mm SHERMAN SHORTMAG vs 7 SAUM

She's finally done fellas. Just gotta find some time to get home, mount the AMG, and do load development.
IMG_5746.jpg

Be sure to let us know your coal with a 180 or 184. Did DST have the reamer?
I rented it from Rich, so they had it for 14 days or so. I will as soon as i can. The plan all along was 180gr ELD-M which is rather long so we'll see. Hoping i can go home next weekend and fireform at least.

I rented it from Rich, so they had it for 14 days or so. I will as soon as i can. The plan all along was 180gr ELD-M which is rather long so we'll see. Hoping i can go home next weekend and fireform at least.
curious about the 180 ELDM in this caliber...what COAL are you using? Assume a short action was used?

Wonder if I can get it to move at 2800+ in a SA 2.950 COAL with a 22" barrel? if so I will be building one myself

2C/1H - I'll let you know. I will be testing that exact setup here in the next couple of weeks. I have a 22" Proof barrel and will be starting my COAL testing at 2.940 (0.010 off the lands). I will be using the 180 ELDM with RL23. From what I've seen there should be no problem getting 2800+. I have a 1:7 twist on the barrel so we'll see how that does...should be a tack driver with those bullets.

2C/1H - I'll let you know. I will be testing that exact setup here in the next couple of weeks. I have a 22" Proof barrel and will be starting my COAL testing at 2.940 (0.010 off the lands). I will be using the 180 ELDM with RL23. From what I've seen there should be no problem getting 2800+. I have a 1:7 twist on the barrel so we'll see how that does...should be a tack driver with those bullets.

Whoa that is exactly what I would do....please tell me your results!

I do have a bit of knowledge on this matter...one day last year I called Fritz at mile high and said hey I want to build a SA 7mm08 2.950 COAL in a 9 twist 26" barrel with 162 ELDM's. Fritz said ok. The end result is stellar!!

I easily get 2770ish without pressure but settled for .3 MOA at 2700 fps and can hit whatever I want out to 1,760 and it has enough steam for 1K on game I am at 9,000 ft guys. It's awesome to tell you the truth.....BUT I want a 22" that can produce similar power if not a bit more, then I will go back to shooting my 338 Edge and then build a 338 Enabler lol.

curious about the 180 ELDM in this caliber...what COAL are you using? Assume a short action was used?

Wonder if I can get it to move at 2800+ in a SA 2.950 COAL with a 22" barrel? if so I will be building one myself

I didn't even get to fireforming this past weekend. Probably be thanksgiving before i know. I've got some old nosler 150gr ballistic tips to fireform with then i'm going to start loading with the 180gr. I plan on 2.970 COAL and am shooting for 2900fps-3000fps with a 24" proof. Current issue is i'm out of RL26.

No offense taken at all! I have a 280 Sherman that is similar to the a.i. with a little more capacity, so I know what you are saying. The main difference is that it is a short action, and short enough to cycle with long bullets which the others will not. Also, because of the very short burn column, it is more efficient than the A.I., or the Sherman for that matter. I can exceed the velocity of the a.i. with less powder, and in fact it will equal the velocity of the long action Sherman. I say this based on what it does in both of the 6.5's, so the proof for the 7SS will be in the field test soon to be.......Rich

Hi Rich, Ive been looking at the 280ai vs 7ss. You said the 7ss is more efficient. Just curious how much less grains will the 7ss use to reach a given velocity than the 280ai? For example, 180 vlds at 2900 fps?