7 mm SHERMAN SHORTMAG vs 7 SAUM

just got word my action is shipping, now to order a blank:
Im 95% sure im going with a 1-8, but i also have options for 8.25, 8.4 & 9. Any reason not to go w/ the 1-8? I would love to shoot the 195, but realize I may get better performance with the 180 or 184 (I'd like to keep it as a 26" tube unless the overwhelming majority of you are running a 28")

Also, how many of you are running the 7SS through a DBM? Or are most goign the BDL route? If using a DBM, what mag are you running? Is it possible to run the 180gr + through a DBM w/o neutering the round?

Thanks for any advice!

just got word my action is shipping, now to order a blank:
Im 95% sure im going with a 1-8, but i also have options for 8.25, 8.4 & 9. Any reason not to go w/ the 1-8? I would love to shoot the 195, but realize I may get better performance with the 180 or 184 (I'd like to keep it as a 26" tube unless the overwhelming majority of you are running a 28")

Also, how many of you are running the 7SS through a DBM? Or are most goign the BDL route? If using a DBM, what mag are you running? Is it possible to run the 180gr + through a DBM w/o neutering the round?

Thanks for any advice!

I would go with the 8 twist. A dbm like the Accurate or Alpha mag for the wsm is the best way to go.

I would go with the 8 twist. A dbm like the Accurate or Alpha mag for the wsm is the best way to go.
thanks for the reply. Any thoughts on 26" vs 28" uses are my "do-all" hunting rifle as well as a steel ringer for 800-1330yd.

Folks have got great results with both cals here , but for ELR spotting misses in the dirt is always easier
with a heavier bullet . You are going to see more splash in the dirt with say a 180 Berger vs a 140 Berger
6.5 bullet .

Scaling up a little , I regularly shoot 300 NM and 338 LM at ELR distance . Spotting the misses in grass
with the 230 Berger is very difficult , we can almost always see the misses from the 300 Berger : bigger
bullet = more energy more signature . Barrel life and running costs will most likely be longer and cheaper
with 6.5 depending on how hot you load . Guys running 7 SAUMs around here are pulling match barrels
at 1500 ish rounds . Haven't run a 6.5 SAUM , but a friend is and has over 3000 on his latest barrel .

Barrel life and running costs will most likely be longer and cheaper
with 6.5 depending on how hot you load . Guys running 7 SAUMs around here are pulling match barrels
at 1500 ish rounds . Haven't run a 6.5 SAUM , but a friend is and has over 3000 on his latest barrel .

Ive heard this before, but Ive never understood how its possible. This is the only cartridge I know of that people claim the smaller bullet, the longer the barrel life. Some of it has to stem from George Gardners claim of 4000 rounds on a match rifle (but they downplay the fact they run relatively anemic loads to achieve that)

Ya sorry but there is no way a 6.5 saum is going to get more rounds than a 7 saum using same powder and pressure. Just think about others: 28 Nosler vs 30 Nosler. 7 RUM vs 300 RUM. 6 creed vs 6.5 creed. Same case smaller bullet=less barrel life..

Ya sorry but there is no way a 6.5 saum is going to get more rounds than a 7 saum using same powder and pressure. Just think about others: 28 Nosler vs 30 Nosler. 7 RUM vs 300 RUM. 6 creed vs 6.5 creed. Same case smaller bullet=less barrel life..
The 6.5 Saum is running rather light by design for extended barrel life due to the ease it reaches the max velocity in PRS. The 7Saum is getting pushed a lot harder in typical use I would suspect and thus the 6.5 would shorten up its barrel life too if the speed limit was increased.

The 6.5 Saum is running rather light by design for extended barrel life due to the ease it reaches the max velocity in PRS. The 7Saum is getting pushed a lot harder in typical use I would suspect and thus the 6.5 would shorten up its barrel life too if the speed limit was increased.

Idk we have to push to reach velocities with our 6.5 SAUM 60gr of RL26 certainly isn't mild to reach 3065 with 143s. Granted we opted for a shorter barrel (23') so kind of knew it was coming, but depending on where you are the velocity claims weren't that consistent. I know guys down here that were attempting to get 3100 with 140s with a 26' tube with h1000 and couldn't reach it without pushing. Vice versa Joe Comfort in LA is getting near 3000fps or so with a 21' SAUM with 140s.

Just ordered some 7SS dies and some more brass from Rich. Just need a new bolt and to have it chambered. Will try to have it done before Christmas but we'll have to see how it goes. **** impact bolt is nearly as much as it cost to chamber.