7 Magnum at the range

TackDriv3r

I am in the process of gearing up for deer season and loaded some RL-22 and 140 Bergers VLD. I have a Sako with a custom Brux 26 inch pencil thin barrel and made 6 loads in .5 increments from 66.5 to 69 grains as a work up to find accuracy / velocity with some good case fill for consistency. I started close to max as manuals indicate and up to under max pressure as Quickload indicates. I have used RL 22 up to 66.5 grains in the past with several bullets. At the range I set up my Oehler 35 and settled down to shoot my first string of 3 rounds, mean speed average was 3275 fps with 14 ES and 7 SD. Group was .267 MOA, 2nd group was at mean velocity of 3302 fps with 67 grains with 15 ES and 7 SD but groups opened up slightly to .4 MOA, 3rd group shot a mean of 3323 fps and no pressure signs on bolt or brass. Groups opened even more to .5 MOA. I know that I never have shot a 7mm Magnum with this kind of speed and I decided to stop right there. I chose to go back to 65.5 grains and work up to 66.7 grains and find that sweet spot. Just being wise not to continue to shoot the rest of those loads and pulled out all the bullets.

3300 fps is more than you need to take out any whitetail with a 140 grain bullet and if you gun is really shooting .2-.4 groups your more than good enough for deer, their kill zone is at least as big as a basketball...

Sounds like you have a fast barrel Like I do... Try some 168 VLD's behind 7828 SSC. You should be around the 3,100 fps range, like my rifle before you hit pressure.

Sounds like you have a fast barrel Like I do... Try some 168 VLD's behind 7828 SSC. You should be around the 3,100 fps range, like my rifle before you hit pressure.

I have some 7828, it am pretty sure that will fill the case more than the SC. I just have never tried the 7828SC and its the same burn rate, only difference is the fill. How much powder are you using for the 168 VLD's with the SC? I have some 168's on the shelf. Last time I tried the 168 VLD was with RL 19, but was not in the single digits on ES and SD I was looking for. I am pretty sure the 7828 has pretty good fill % to be more consistent to see the SD and ES in the single digits. 7828SC is in my to buy list. Should be great for my new .300 Win Mag that will come in August. I would try those heavyweight Bergers for the .300 as well.

I have some 7828, it am pretty sure that will fill the case more than the SC. I just have never tried the 7828SC and its the same burn rate, only difference is the fill. How much powder are you using for the 168 VLD's with the SC? I have some 168's on the shelf. Last time I tried the 168 VLD was with RL 19, but was not in the single digits on ES and SD I was looking for. I am pretty sure the 7828 has pretty good fill % to be more consistent to see the SD and ES in the single digits. 7828SC is in my to buy list. Should be great for my new .300 Win Mag that will come in August. I would try those heavyweight Bergers for the .300 as well.

It's the same burn rate, just a different fill-rate thanks to the super-short kernels. I keep the SSC because I use it for compressed and nearly-compressed loads in my .30-06 AI and .25-06 AI. It also works great in magnum cartridges (which is what it was originally designed for).

I think right now my current load is 65.5 grains behind the 168's with Fed 215M primers in formed and neck-sized Nosler brass. My rifle has a tight-spec chamber, so the brass doesn't grow much to keep brass life as long as possible, so it hits peak-pressures at lower powder charges than a standard SAAMI spec or factory cut chamber.

Yes, 7828 SSC will also be good in the .300WM.

Here is something to think about...The difference in time of flight between the 3275 and 3323 load at 400 yards is .0061 seconds. Your load at 3275 fps is just fine!!!!

Tom

Here is something to think about...The difference in time of flight between the 3275 and 3323 load at 400 yards is .0061 seconds. Your load at 3275 fps is just fine!!!!

Tom

Tom, Of course, I mentioned that I stopped and going back a grain from where I started and working up to 66.5 grains which is 3275 fps,,, to find the sweet spot. A deer won't know the difference.

What distance do you expect to be taking game at? If relatively close you might end up with a lot of meat damage.

What distance do you expect to be taking game at? If relatively close you might end up with a lot of meat damage.

Mostly beyond 300 yards, actually I never shoot into the shoulders or do quarter shots. I just wait till its perfectly broadside and do the double lung. They don't go far, mostly DRT.
If its real close, neck or behind the ear will do. Shooting into the shoulders is what causes meat damage, and I avoid that.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.