7-300

coyotelite

im looking at having a 7-300 built on my m70 action with a 28" finished length. iv'e seen guys getting 3050-3100fps with the 195 bergers. At these speeds with that bullet, what is a realistic effective range for deer and elk assuming the shooter can make the shot?

Wish I could be more helpfull on elk but here goes. Have shot 180 bergers out to 619 yards on Alabama deer. AND one hog that was 200 plus lbs at 821 yards. Both aniamals were DRT. 7mm STW custom. Pushing 180 bergers at around 3000 fps. Never got to try 195 Bergers. But I hope this helps

I have been absent from the group for almost 4 years now and I am looking to get back into the game if every one will give me a chance?? I have been looking over some of the past posts and there was one gentleman that I was working with that helped me a lot?? His handle was
cummin-un-glued and I would sure like to contact him???

Knapper

cummin-un-glued;
What forum did you answer me in?? I'm having trouble finding you??

Thanks. That was helpful
I hope you are serious. I was serious. Even DRT, retrieving game from 1,000 away is a young man's job.

Yes, I believe it would be effective out to 1,000 on game with the correct bullet.

On the other had, a poor shot will make tracking a nightmare.

With those numbers you are very close to what I am running in my 28 Nosler, I would have no problem pulling the trigger on a 1500 yard shot if all condition's were right, as I am still carrying almost 1000 lb of energy and 1500 fps at that range.

Id recommend shooting at a few milk jugs at 1500 before making any final decisions on that.
At 3350/3400 the 7mm is a great cartridge to a point, but the point is not 1500 yds.
Bigger bullets aint the answer, more powder with bigger bullets is the answer.

coyotelite,

im looking at having a 7-300 built on my m70 action with a 28" finished length. iv'e seen guys getting 3050-3100fps with the 195 bergers. At these speeds with that bullet, what is a realistic effective range for deer and elk assuming the shooter can make the shot?

Should we assume that this is the 7mm-300 Winchester Magnum? I have 4 variation on other '300' cases.

I think you have to solve for the OAL you can use with your choice of actions first. I know how I set them up but this cartridge is not on any of my Winchesters. If you are limited to 3.600", you'll have given up some space in your case capacity. When I run this out of a DBM I can set the bullets out to 3.775" OAL.

If you can achieve that velocity (3050) safely and consistently, then 1,000 yards is right in the zone of completion with about 1,600 ft/lbs. of remaining energy. This is based on that velocity being an accuracy node, of course. Without accuracy, that distance is simply unobtainable.

I would just add to the post above its the accuracy that will kill much faster than any thing else. Shot placement and accuracy or how many time can your gun and you make a 1000yrd shot in a 8 inch target. There a good kill reel from best of the west and almost every animal is taken by a 6.5x284 at considerable distance using the 140 berger. A lot of animals droping at 750yrds and out farther. One of the bulls were out to 950yrds and it looked like it was dropped like a bad habit. I think the 7-300 win would be an awesome round. Actually want one myself.

cummin-un-glued;
What forum did you answer me in?? I'm having trouble finding you??
cummin-un-glued.. I had a time trying to find you.. This is knapper and I want to chat about the 7 300 that you helped me with about 4 years ago.. Hope you are still with us? I have been on a extended vacation

coyotelite,, I have made three good shots with my 7 300 all just a little shy of 1000 yards.. two deer and 1 antelope, the deer were scope ranged at 750 and 1 at just under 900.. The antelope was on almost flat ground in wyoming. and scope ranged at about 875 to 900 yards.. It took two shots to get the antelope.. I shot over him the first shot, but #2 dropped him straight to the ground... 69 grains of H4350 on all my shots..
I shoot nothing except Hornady brass, 300 win mag, necked down to the 7 MM.. down the tube at 3050 fps..

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.