7-300

Wherever the bullet goes below 1600fps in my opinion. So around 1400-1500 yards with that combo. Longest bull I killed was 1125 yards with a 7RM and 162 AMAX at 2950fps. Bullet entered behind shoulder, destroyed lungs, and exited. He went 20-25 yards and fell over dead with all 4 feet straight up in the air. Elk have a 24" vital radius, a lot easier to poke an elk at 1000+ then a deer where your vital size is cut in half...You also only need 1000ft lbs of energy or so to kill elk reliably...

Last edited:
Remember this about videos, you get to see what you are intended to see and nothing else.
Ive seen whitetails drop like a rock with 300 gr 338s. But get back up and walk off like they werent even hit. Mind you they were hit, and they didnt go all that far before dieing. But unless you actually witness those things happen, your apt to be believing things you really shouldnt be.
Go watch some get hit at some of the distances discussed on sites like this before deciding what to believe.
Of coarse the key is to hit them right, we all know that. But the bigger key is to do it at those distances.
It is far easier to talk about than actually do. Go shoot at some milk jugs at 1500 on a less than nice day like its apt to be during hunting season with the 7mms.
You will soon find out why some of those great hunting locations dont get hunted very much.
If your going to be shooting at animals at even 1200 yds and further, and you want a gun to do it with, dont even be thinking of anything less than 30 cal, and preferably a ( good) 338.
And by good im talking 3000 fps or better with a 300 gr.

Last edited:
coyotelite,, I have made three good shots with my 7 300 all just a little shy of 1000 yards.. two deer and 1 antelope, the deer were scope ranged at 750 and 1 at just under 900.. The antelope was on almost flat ground in wyoming. and scope ranged at about 875 to 900 yards.. It took two shots to get the antelope.. I shot over him the first shot, but #2 dropped him straight to the ground... 69 grains of H4350 on all my shots..
I shoot nothing except Hornady brass, 300 win mag, necked down to the 7 MM.. down the tube at 3050 fps..

well I had Dallas Lane build mine with a 26" 8 twist Brux throated for 180 Bergers. Im running 73 grains of rl26 at 3120 with an ES of 10. 1/3 MOA all day. Its fantastic!!!
20A0E3C8-40DE-4961-A31F-D9F2DAD23A24.jpeg

yobuck;; I kind of think that you have been up in the night, to long for you to believe that your 338 is some kind of a GOD send.. As to your belief that you shouldn't go hunting with any thing smaller that a 30 caliber is plain nuts.. I have and shot a 300 Win Mag ever since I was in the CORP. and found it to be lacking in several areas.. Now I realize that when I was doing my precision shooting I was only 18-19 years old and it was over 30 years ago, and ammo has changed some what but still the 30 Caliber minimum is cutting things a little shy. At a 1000 yds I will stack my 7-300 up against you and the best out there..

yobuck;; I kind of think that you have been up in the night, to long for you to believe that your 338 is some kind of a GOD send.. As to your belief that you shouldn't go hunting with any thing smaller that a 30 caliber is plain nuts.. I have and shot a 300 Win Mag ever since I was in the CORP. and found it to be lacking in several areas.. Now I realize that when I was doing my precision shooting I was only 18-19 years old and it was over 30 years ago, and ammo has changed some what but still the 30 Caliber minimum is cutting things a little shy. At a 1000 yds I will stack my 7-300 up against you and the best out there..

He wasn't talking about 1000 yrds. Hes talking the 12-1500 yrd shots. Its a common opinion that the big 338's are more effective and are optimal at those distances.

Joefrazell I will agree with you on the selection of the range and I find it difficult to hit a gallon milk jug 8 out of 10 shots at that range.. also a mile..

Joefrazell I will agree with you on the selection of the range and I find it difficult to hit a gallon milk jug 8 out of 10 shots at that range.. also a mile..

Yeah I don't know anybody that can make a first round hit even 50% of the time on a milk jug at 1200 in field conditions. Definitely not me

I have had a bit of practice (A LOT) grin.. Conditions have to be very good and early in the morning is best, I have found prone, down in the trees or high sage brush, rolling small hills and heavy ceder growth.
knapper

Joefrazell;; To carry on a little bit because you were very cordial to me. So I decided to expand some what to help clarify some..
My rifle helps me a great deal and I have spent many hours with my (baby,as my wife calls it) Out on the hunt, in a sleeping bag, my baby sleeps with me, ammo and all.. My reloads are handled with great care and
I spend as much as an hour a peace on each round.. They are made up of hornady 300 Win Mag brass and
weighted, babied, and layed out on the reloading bench on a blanket before their put in the magazine with care. If one gets dropped on the ground, it is put away, completely dismantled, and start from scratch.. I put each in a die that reduces the neck down to a 7 MM.. .284 Dia.,camphor each in and out and install large
rifle mag primers, 69 grains of H4350 push um.
My rifle is a Savage Precision 7 MM-300 Win Mag, model 110 FCP. The barrel is a sheilean, 28 in heavy, straight bull. 5R rifling, 8.5 twist. I use a silencer, which helps a great deal on barrel jump.. I don't like a hard kick. My scope is a Burris, XTR II 8X40X 50, illuminated, FFP Love it.. I have 3500.00 wrapped up in it.
I hunt mostly on horse back.. I am 81 years young and have trouble climbing hills on foot?? Grin

Knapper
Knapping is the art of making arrowheads and ammo to suit your self

Well at 1000 yds i wouldnt argue with you over that.
I think there are quite a few good cartridges for hunting long range out to 1000 yds.
But then 1500 is a whole lot more than just a little further, and so is 1300 for alot of them, including your 7x300.
I have two of them using the 300 wby case, and ive been using them for more than 45 years.
Weve killed lots of deer with them and a few bear at long range and they do a great job.
But they are not a great cartridge at the more extreme distances ,and neither is a 300 Win or a 300 Wby.
Again, take your 7x300 out and shoot it at milk jugs or rocks at 1500.
And on the same day shoot a large 30 cal like a 300 ultra, or a Norma and a good 338 and compare your results.
You will find the 338 will make you a better shooter, because its a better cartridge for those distances.

Joefrazell;; To carry on a little bit because you were very cordial to me. So I decided to expand some what to help clarify some..
My rifle helps me a great deal and I have spent many hours with my (baby,as my wife calls it) Out on the hunt, in a sleeping bag, my baby sleeps with me, ammo and all.. My reloads are handled with great care and
I spend as much as an hour a peace on each round.. They are made up of hornady 300 Win Mag brass and
weighted, babied, and layed out on the reloading bench on a blanket before their put in the magazine with care. If one gets dropped on the ground, it is put away, completely dismantled, and start from scratch.. I put each in a die that reduces the neck down to a 7 MM.. .284 Dia.,camphor each in and out and install large
rifle mag primers, 69 grains of H4350 push um.
My rifle is a Savage Precision 7 MM-300 Win Mag, model 110 FCP. The barrel is a sheilean, 28 in heavy, straight bull. 5R rifling, 8.5 twist. I use a silencer, which helps a great deal on barrel jump.. I don't like a hard kick. My scope is a Burris, XTR II 8X40X 50, illuminated, FFP Love it.. I have 3500.00 wrapped up in it.
I hunt mostly on horse back.. I am 81 years young and have trouble climbing hills on foot?? Grin

Knapper
Knapping is the art of making arrowheads and ammo to suit your self

It sure sounds like your having a good time with her! When I rebarrelled my 300 win mag I almost went to a 7-300 win mag. I really like this cartridge. Think it's pretty dang cool. I ended up sticking with the 300 win.

Yobuck For the most part.. I will agree with you.. When I was in the Corp, 1958 - 1962 i was issued a 308
and later on the gave me a 300 Win Mag.. I got so I really liked the 300 and just before my discharge they
tried to bribe me with 50 Cal.. It was one of the first ones that came out with the two hydraulic rams that ran
down each side, just under the breech and if I remember right the **** thing weighted almost 20 pounds
and would jar you back about 4 to 6 inches on each round. Hell I only weighted about 160 lbs and that
thing hit so hard it made me sick to my stomach. I only fired it 3 times.. You needed to be a Swartensnager
to be even able to carry it. Let alone it but say 50 rounds of ammo. A darn BAR like to eat my lunch and that
was a 3006.. I loved it in a prone position.. I just wasn't man enough and it almost got me washed out..

Knapper

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.