7-300 Wtby Reloading

270 Sender0

I've searched through the site and sent PM to several members trying to find the proper trim length for a 7-300wtby. If you have one that usually is the best info, so please don't post with info that it's close to the STW. Thanks

I've been messaging with a couple members about reloading. The info below is from yobuck with his permission......

Yobuck:
I suppose the trim length could vary depending on the chambering, but the 300 Weatherby case length is standard. Really easy to just run the 300 cases thru your die and thats it, no fire forming or case prep.
As for a load, i guess there could be quite a few powders today that would work well, as opposed to years back when there were only a couple. I use 7828 because it gives me decent accuracy and very good velocity.
3300 fps shouldnt be a problem using bullets in the 160 gr class. Im currently using 78 gr with a 162 Hornady.
And thats with a Rem 700 action.
My advice would be to start at 74 or 75 gr with that powder and bullet weight and load just one round, then one more with a 1/2 gr increase, and so on till you get to where you just start to notice a slightly stiff bolt lift.
Id be shooting them over a chronagraph, but not necessary to have a target, just a dirt pile will do.
Were only looking for velocity at this point, nothing else. And no need to shoot out a barrel looking for it.
Of coarse the temperature can affect the powder charge to some degree also.
I find 80 gr to be absolute max in my gun, except during periods of cold weather. So take that for what it might be worth to you. Rather than playing around with various powder looking for accuracy, we look for velocity first, then try to make it work with seating depth changes. Also best to shoot at 400 rather than 100.
Be cautious about leaving hand loaded ammo lay around for a few years due to case weld. The bullets will definitely weld themselves to the case over time and cause a dangerous situation when firing them.
Best to reseat the bullet slightly deeper on old ammo, while listening for a slight snapping sound.

270 Sender0:

So far the resizing has been easy, the box mag is short so I've been single feeding. I tried H1000 77,78,79, and 80g no pressure with 168g Berger VLD hunting, Norma brass and CCI 250 M primers.

I started a thread in reloading and I'll post some pic's there.
Thanks so much for the info, I still have more questions, this is great info....

Yobuck:

No problem, H1000 might be another good choice, but ive never tried it.
I usually just stay with whatever works well.
As for the short magazine box, i would try seating the bullet so it works in the magazine and see if the gun minds you doing that. My 700 action Rem dosent mind at all, so thats the length i use in that gun.
Mine has the hinged floorplate on the magazine so it only holds 2 rounds. My sons gun has a solid floorplate and his holds 3 rounds. No mods to the magazines required at all. I also have one built on a 40x Rem action with a solid bottom, so i do seat them out further on that gun since its a single feed anyway.
As for the way we go about getting our load, again we look for velocity first, and if a particular powder wont produce it, then theres no need to waste time and barrel finding that out.
I can tell you that 3450 to 3500 fps isnt unheard of with a 7x300 Weatherby using the 162 gr Hornady Match BTHP with 7828 powder. BUT, GO SLOWLY, till you find out just how far you can go with your particular gun.

270 Sender0:

These are single feed and only one shot at 80g to check for pressure. I'll continue to shoot one load till pressure is found with 80.5, 81, 81.5 etc. So far it's shooting well...

Attachments

• 17132056-F387-4AB5-9BAA-EFC64CBDF253.jpeg
    17132056-F387-4AB5-9BAA-EFC64CBDF253.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 99
  • 1FD18CAF-5F8B-4C6F-9A11-03D89D05EC70.jpeg
    1FD18CAF-5F8B-4C6F-9A11-03D89D05EC70.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 104
  • 46464F31-9879-4235-B441-D052349DA975.jpeg
    46464F31-9879-4235-B441-D052349DA975.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 105
Built mine on a stiller with a hart barrel. Have only shot 7828 through it. Used that powder with the stw and started with it on the 7-300. Shoot 180 berger hybrids exclusively at 3150 with 74 grains. Only use weatherby brass and I weigh them before sizing because I have found a 15-20 grain difference between lots. I also skim turn the necks. Mine has a wyatts mag box so I can seat bullets longer. Spent minimal time working up a load and probably only shoot 20-40 rounds a year through it. Very fine cartridge.

Built mine on a stiller with a hart barrel. Have only shot 7828 through it. Used that powder with the stw and started with it on the 7-300. Shoot 180 berger hybrids exclusively at 3150 with 74 grains. Only use weatherby brass and I weigh them before sizing because I have found a 15-20 grain difference between lots. I also skim turn the necks. Mine has a wyatts mag box so I can seat bullets longer. Spent minimal time working up a load and probably only shoot 20-40 rounds a year through it. Very fine cartridge.

Cuz
What twist do you have, this is a 1-10. I'm not sure if a 180 will stabilize, according to Berger's chart the 175 will.
The stock and a new wyatts box is the next upgrade. I was surprised to get a 1/2" group with 9 total rounds shot. As you stated it is a Very fine cartridge!

Last edited:
1-9 twist. I know a lot of people are going to a 1-8 or 8.5 for the 195 grainers. I started with the 180 and it shot well so I settled on that combo. On a hunting rifle I look for a half inch load that will hold accuracy at distance and then stay with it. I don't like to wear out a barrel trying for a little more accuracy. This one will usually hold 3/4-1 inch at 200yds. I built 2 of these, one on the stiller and one for my hunting partner on a remington with the same reamer and headspaced the same. Maybe luck but they shoot the same load at the same velocity and accuracy. Our ballistic data is identical.

Any thoughts why the group opened up from 1/2" at a hundred to 3 1/2" at 200? Checked scope, had a good rest.

5E1B87E5-E3A7-4A5D-843C-A024FFA21AAE.jpeg

1EE823E0-336B-4E6C-B16E-059828A0F9DA.jpeg

I should have done this ladder at 200 or further?
81g a little stiff w/bolt lift
81.5 sticky bolt ejector mark
82 not sticky no ejector mark ?

image.jpg

Last edited:
Parralax set for 200 yards? How close is the e.s. On that load? Look at the berger twist rate calculator, that bullet may not be fully stabilized.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.