7 SAUM Reloading Quesiton

HavenHunter

I'm new to this stuff and hope someone can help. Just recently purchased a 7 Saum that was reamed and throated for the 180 bergers but the reamer was printed for a short action. My gun happens to be a long action so i didn't think I would run into this problem so I'm hoping someone can help. I got some reloading data from a fella that had a short action gun built by the same smith with the same reamer. Just to mess around and see how the rifle fed, I loaded a dummy round to the same exact over all length, .2.950, which was .01 off the lands of the data I received from the guy. Put the dummy in the box of the long action and proceeded to chamber the round. As the bolt pushed the dummy forward, the nose of the bullet caught on the front of the action, leaving the inside of the action with a stripe from the nose of the bullet and leaving the nose of the bullet a bit deformed. Why with a dummy loaded for a "short action" rifle scrape in a long action gun? I tried this a few times and every time the bullet dug into the action and fed rough. I'm hoping it's something stupid I over looked. Thanks to anyone that replies.

Is your magazine and follower for ultra magnum size cases or regular magnum cases or 30.06 size cases ?
Is this a Savage or Remington?

I'm not sure. I assumed when I purchased the gun it was set up for Ultra Mags sized cases. Looks like I may need to order some parts if that's the case.

I'm not expert and don't know anything about Lawton actions but I would contact them first but my thought is that the feed ramps are too narrow causing the case to ride low due to the minimal taper of the case. Just a thought.

Re: 7 SAUM Reloading Question

Thanks for the responses! I guess my next question would be, which follower would I use in a long action to work with the 7 SAUM? I assume the 7 SAUM follower would be built for a short action and wouldn't work in my long action. Any suggestions? Thanks

Any suggestion you get is going to be a guess. What you have to do is look at it and determine what needs to be done to fix it. If you aren't sure what to do, you need to take it to someone else so they can look at it.

+1 on EDDs comment. If you had Lawton make the rifle. Give them a chance to make it right. It may be something as easy as working the feed lips of the magazine. The long action was good choice for our bullets. With the over SAMMI length nose spec you need more room in some cases. Customers I have talked to on the phone and email have even had to go to options like the Wyatts Outdoor extended mag boxes with the longer cartridges for the new longer bullet profiles.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to have someone else look at it because I'm new to all of this. Hopefully the fix isn't too expensive but it is what it is I guess at this point. Thanks again.

i was working on a friends long action rem 700 chambered in 300 wsm. this rifle would'nt feed but one round out of the magazine. Edd recomended the wyatt cfe-13 mag box and it fixed the problem. i know this is not the same issue that you are having but it is something to try if your other options fail.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.