Beginner 7 SAUM reloading tips

couesbuck1021

Hello, I'm new to the forum here and seeking some advice as far hand loads/reloading tips for my new 7 SAUM.

I'm really interested in finding a good starting point for solid deer hunting loads, as that's what I'm primarily setting this rifle up for.

* using ADG brass
* 22" proof carbon barrel 1:8 twist
* custom mid-length action

Any advice on primers, powders, preffered projectiles would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You're going to get a lot of suggestions. But if your largest target will be deer hard to beat the 162 out of a 7saum. Tons of powder options for that bullet as well. What do you have on hand or what can you find that's available? 61-64g of h1000 works good with the 162s.
In hand, I have a lot of IMR 4064 & 4227, but that's about it, I'm sure I can find some h1000. When you say 162's, is there a particular brand you like best? Coues deer and mule deer is all I'm really hunting.

Last edited:
Those are some screaming velocities! And nice groupings. Those 162's sound like the place to start. Safe starting charge for that H4831SC?

It's a 24 inch barrel.
IMG_2070.png

Well, it should be obvious by now, but I will add - don't try heavies in the 7 SAUM. I was dead set on 180 class and just never got my Shilen Select match barrel to shoot. Gave up. (lots got to acceptable, as in 1 moa or a little less, but never a tack driver that a really good barrel and competent reloader should attain) Moved on to other projects. Sent the barrel back to Shilen after years just cause I could not bear to throw it away, and I always wondered if the barrel had an issue. This was custom throated to allow relatively long seating of the 180 Berger in the longer "short" action of a Savage.

Kudos to Shilen -- they really looked over the barrel. I had acquired a borescope in the meantime and also could find no issues. In the end they re-threaded and re-crowned the barrel and said to try again. For free. I paid shipping.

I've not gotten to that project. Just -- for heavies to work in a 7 SAUM, I think you must have a long action. Or be really lucky.

Silver Lining: trying to get that stupid 7 SAUM to shoot left me with 8 lb jugs of H1000. H4831 SC, Norma Magnum, Ramshot Magnum sitting on the shelves..... Back when you could buy stuff. They all shot about the same, which led me to believe it was the barrel or the bullet.

There are plenty of success story's with the 7saum and heavies. I shoot heavies in mine with good results. I am sorry your attempt didn't work out but I would not try to steer people away based on your experience with a single barrel.
Well, it should be obvious by now, but I will add - don't try heavies in the 7 SAUM. I was dead set on 180 class and just never got my Shilen Select match barrel to shoot. Gave up. (lots got to acceptable, as in 1 moa or a little less, but never a tack driver that a really good barrel and competent reloader should attain) Moved on to other projects. Sent the barrel back to Shilen after years just cause I could not bear to throw it away, and I always wondered if the barrel had an issue. This was custom throated to allow relatively long seating of the 180 Berger in the longer "short" action of a Savage.

Kudos to Shilen -- they really looked over the barrel. I had acquired a borescope in the meantime and also could find no issues. In the end they re-threaded and re-crowned the barrel and said to try again. For free. I paid shipping.

I've not gotten to that project. Just -- for heavies to work in a 7 SAUM, I think you must have a long action. Or be really lucky.

Silver Lining: trying to get that stupid 7 SAUM to shoot left me with 8 lb jugs of H1000. H4831 SC, Norma Magnum, Ramshot Magnum sitting on the shelves..... Back when you could buy stuff. They all shot about the same, which led me to believe it was the barrel or the bullet.

I've never had really any problem with any weight in a 7mm Saum. Most efficient cartridge to me there is. I have several chambered for it. If you going to shoot 168's or less then you can use a Short Action. If you going heavier then use a Medium Action or Long Action. I use all LA's except for one of them. I have 8 chambered rifles in the cartridge. I've shot, just a guess, maybe 8 barrels out to date. They are easy to load. They love 175's, 180's and even 195's. If you want to shoot heavies then use a Freebore of .190" to .220". All the heavies shoot fine in that FB range.

The statement above that the cartridge won't shoot heavies like the 180's is BS. Even in the short actions. You just inhibit yourself a little with velocity using a SA. So that's why you use LA's. You won't regret it. Built one last week that shoots one hole groups. They are super super easy to load. If you can't reload for a 7mm SAUM then obviously you know nothing about reloading for precision. OP.....build it on a Long Action and tell your gunsmith you want a freebore of .190 to .220" and you will never look back.