6x45 and 55gr hammer, anybody try it?

Matt Tatum

I'm looking for a bullet to run in my 16" auto 6x45 for pigs. I was wanting to see if anybody has tried that combo. Was hoping that it would be fast and flat enough to use out to 200 or so. Thanks for any advice.

I'm looking for a bullet to run in my 16" auto 6x45 for pigs. I was wanting to see if anybody has tried that combo. Was hoping that it would be fast and flat enough to use out to 200 or so. Thanks for any advice.

I never heard the end of it, but the 16 inch is a deficit. my bud and I have a 20 inch and we loaded up a bunch of Barnes 72 gr varmint bullets. The faster out of the barrel 55 gr might be about the same velocity by the time it get to 200 yards and the 72 being about 24% heavier is going to have the foot pounds. The dynamics of more energy using the 72 would be better for hogs

I don't have any experience but thinking the light Hammer will respond better to fast powders in there short barrel giving you the velocity you are looking for. Having a bullet that is designed for penetration and higher impact velocity will certainly work better than a bullet that is heavier and slower that is designed to come apart.

Thanks for the input. I have a 20" too and like it. Was doing something short and light for walking the fields. I'm going to run a thermal on it so most shots will be close. I've been running the 85gr nosler partition and they are pretty tough. Hammers are just so different.

I've only used the 72's Barnes on PD's and been along antelope hunting with a friends 6x45. My reasoning is from being a lifetime 243 hunter. I had lots of boxes of 72 barnes. My lightest bullets, and I hardly used them in favor of heavier higher BC that retained energy.

So for the 6X45 we were trying to think of PD rounds and slightly bigger animals. A2230 for powder really works.

Even pig hunting I've used 62 gr HPBT in .224 out of my AR.

I like to hear some pig stories us ing 55 hammers

I may try them before it's over. I've used 69 smk and 77smk Extensively in the 223. They work well.

I'm debating the 70gr vs the 55gr hammer. Still trying to get the thermal thing worked out.

Hammer bullets are also 69, 70, and 71 gr. They are made to hold together unlike frangible bullets. My go to pig gun for multi shot like night hunting is my AR10 in 308. I use 125 gr TNT varmint rounds. They rarely require follow up shots :)

One problem with the 6X45 is OAL. At some point you are compressing the powder as the bullet length goes up.