6x284 shooters?

midwesthunter

Any 6x284 shooters on here? I know its over bore. But looking at building a new .243 cal. Main purpose would be occasional varmints and long range antelope possibly deer. Just looking for some first hand experience users. I'm leaning towards a 28-30" barrel 1-8 twist shooting 105's of some kind. Anyone shot the 105 bergers at the speeds this cartridge can produce?

I have one that I shoot the 107 SMK's through. I have it around 3200 MV and it is a great shooting gun. I shot the 105 VLD and AMAX during load development and settled on the SMK cause i do skin the coyotes that get shot with it.
lapua brass
51 gr H4831
210M
107's .020 off the lands
26" Kreiger

Shooting 105 bergers at 3260. Pretty awesome caliber. I wouldn't worry about the overbore factor. Shoot it and have fun. Great deer hammer to boot. 3350 to 3400 fps is do able but it's hard on brass

It seems like a very marginal performance increase relative to a 243 AI that requires a long action and expensive brass and a custom barrel. I imagine the dies would not be cheap either. After all that it is going to wear the throat out about 10-20% faster than a 243 (based on weight of powder)..

I bought a reamer to my specs from PT&G I had my gunsmith make a 28" bartlein 5R 1 in 7.5 on a heavy platform. Shot quite a few bullets and settled on the 105 Berger match target hybrid. Getting 3445 fps with 64.5 gr of RL-33. Should you decide to try RL-33 please drop down to 58-60 grs and work up.
I am using Lapua brass and am on the 8th firing with primer pockets still snug.

I bought a reamer to my specs from PT&G I had my gunsmith make a 28" bartlein 5R 1 in 7.5 on a heavy platform. Shot quite a few bullets and settled on the 105 Berger match target hybrid. Getting 3445 fps with 64.5 gr of RL-33. Should you decide to try RL-33 please drop down to 58-60 grs and work up.
I am using Lapua brass and am on the 8th firing with primer pockets still snug.
Have you had the chance to shoot any game with the 105 hybrids? Do you know anywhere there in stock? That is a an impressive bc
And mv combo!

Definitely among my favorite calibers of all time & yes, I still have mine :D

700 L/A
28" Kreiger
HS DBM
McM A-5

107SMK
Ramshot Magnum
Fed 210M
3440FPS

Fast, Flat & easy on the shoulder. What more can you ask for?

t

Outlaw, do you mind posting a couple pictures of your set up as well as a loaded round and possible game taken if any with this combo. I have been considering converting my .243 win into a 6-284. It is feeding from ai mags short action. Is just a reamer or barrel change all that is needed for this conversion?

Outlaw, do you mind posting a couple pictures of your set up as well as a loaded round and possible game taken if any with this combo. I have been considering converting my .243 win into a 6-284. It is feeding from ai mags short action. Is just a reamer or barrel change all that is needed for this conversion?

It would not be worth your time to switch to the x284 if are running a short action with AI mags. My COAL is 3.100", you will be pushing the bullet so far into the powder column you will be negating the extra powder capacity. I would look more closely at the 243AI for your application.

Here is the best picture of my 6x284 (I upgraded from the Leupy to an NXS):

Attachments

• 6-284 Pic.jpg
    6-284 Pic.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 99
I have three 6mm-284s.

The one I already mentioned is a SA Rem 700 using a Wyatt's mag box. I was shooting it as a single shot when I shot 107 Sierras and 115 DTACs. When the 105 Berger hybrid came out I decided to make it a repeater. OAL is 2.995". It has a .065" jump to rifling but the hybrid doesn't care. I simply seated to fit and feed magazine and worked up the powder charge with excellent accuracy. This is the one with a 28" barrel using RL-33 for velocity of 3445 fps.

Another SA REM 700 with Wyatt's mag box is shooting the 55 gr nosler bt with bullet seated so some of the bullet is in the neck. OAL is quite short didn't measure it. Used a 243 24" rem takeoff rechambered. Velocity is 4175 with Varget.

Final 6mm-284 is a SA Ruger with an altered mag box of 3.1". 87 Hornady V-max is kissing the rifling with OAL of 2.990" velocity 3375 using RL-17 from a 20" barrel. (this was my first barrel job, used a 20" 243 takeoff)

6mm bullets aren't anywhere near as long as a 6.5 bullet. IMO the 6.5-284 needs a long action but you can get away with a SA in a 6mm-284.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.