6x284 Hart BBL

Iron Worker

I bet I have 700+ rnds thru my Hart bbl Its moor accurate now then when the BBL had less than 200RNDS thru it. Why? Or have I develope better bench techniqs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Your barrel is probably breaking in now. Even with a Hart barrel, you have some minute machine marks from the chambering and throating done. Your barrel has gotten rid of these thru firing and cleaning. How did you "break in" your barrel? Makes a difference.

1st 10 rnds I cleaned after every shot.Took note of the blueness of each and every patch.It lesseoned. 11th rnd thru 30 cleaned every 3 shots. 1st cople of hundread rnds I was scratching my head saying "So this is a Match Barrel"!!!!! Now it shoots like a lazar.But for how much longer? Its a 6x284.I load it for speed.No interest in cutting off an inch are so to get rid of erroaded throat.What about Broughton BBLs I wonder If I'd have the extreem BBL break in blues with that brand?

Iron Worker
I had several Hart Barrels most cleaned easy and broke in easy. One 30 Cal was a dream, but another .30 I recently broke in was a bear. The first 10 shots were brutal, severe copper.
As for Broughton, they are the only barrel I'll use at this time. 6.5 broke in easy and my 300 WSM 5-C (175SMK's) Broke in so easy I thought something was wrong. I tried several cleaners because there was so little copper.
To be honest the Hart was shooting a 200 accubond with long surface compared to the 175 SMK so that may contribute to copper alomg with high FPS.

Iron Worker,
I currently have three 6x284's and had four but sold the Mod. 70 with a Shilen Select Match Grade 1:10.

Two of my current 6x284's are 30" Hart 1:8 barrels with brakes on them.
One is a M700 PSS and the other is a M700 VLS.
The VLS has approx 2000 rounds through it and I re-chambered it a couple of months ago. It still shoots decent groups but I haven't had time to play with it since I re-chambered it.
The PSS has 400 rounds through it and I haven't shot it in two years…???? Geez – that's a terrible thing to admit to - I've got to quit working so much!
That danged Hawkeye bore scope my wife bought me for my birthday is going to cost me more money. I think the barrel makers have stock in Gradient Lens so whoever buys a bore scope and looks at their barrels will naturally have to have a new barrel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My Hart barrels acted the same as you described and they really don't shine until you step them out past 300 yards.

Larry

Gator teach me some thing."Hart barrel doesn't shine untill 300yds?" I don't understand.If it doesn't shoot good groups at 100 how will it at 300? Now all day at work I'm going to be scratching my head.I shouldn't get on the internet before work in the morning.

Well I would say the 300 yard thing depends on the bullet you are shooting. If they are VLD type bullets they will probably shoot better at 300 yards then 100 yards just because they are still trying to settle down when they hit 100 yards. I have Hart 9 twist 6 groove on my 6-284. I just had it re done and really have not had time to shoot it much but the old chamber would shoot in the .1's and .2' at 100 yards with 3 shots. I used 95 B-tips 100 Sierra's and I even have a target in the .3's with 100gr Nolser Partitions. I would say this barrel shot the best after 300 rounds on the first chamber job when it was new. But when I broke it in I knew it was a shooter when the first 5 shot group was one hole at 100 yards and was the size of a dime. You also could be getting used to the rifle that also helps a lot.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.