7mm Hart and 30 Hart

cbaker

Does anyone have any information on these calibers. I understand they are built by Hart barrels. Are they basically Ackley Improved calibers? What brass do you use to form the caliber? Thanks.

The 30 Hart is formed from 300 Weatherby brass. You basically lose neck length to gain some in case capacity. It's purpose when developed IMHO was to serve the function of a 300 RUM, before there were any. The turning and forming techniques turned me off to the caliber and over to a plain jane 300 Wby chambering. I am glad I did as I am certainly not lacking for case capacity with one load at 82% and one about 90% load density providing best accuracy for me at 1K. The only mod to the case I would consider if I were wanting to have something different is squaring off the double radius as I am sure one of the other 300 improved cartridges do but definately would not mess with the neck length. Or if it's more punch you are after 300 RUM. I'd much rather deal with an extra thou of wall thickness deviations due to REM brass than lose 1/4 inch of neck support.

what Hoytman said...

no need to got the "hart" route anymore.... alot of guys did variations of the weatherby case.... Hart did it, Borden did it.... thats basically old news.... and a PITA!!!

The 30 "Hart" originally the 30 B&N is made off a 300 wby case with shortened neck and 40 degree shoulder. (Basically an ackley type round) Any 300 wby will run neck and neck with this cartridge without the "PITA" fireforming, but a RUM it is not.. I achieved 2976fps with a 220 Sierra in a 30" bbl. and this was starting to push the envelope. The standard 300 Wby round or the 300 RUM would be a much wiser choice without the hassel.

the 30 hart will push a 180 br bullet 3450fps depending on how you want to push it and expected brass life. Not sure how much faster, but I know the one I have worked with will do that and just starting to reach the pressure signs with Norma brass.

Trief Rem weatherby brass and lost half of it fireforming.

Forming brass is a pain, but accuracy can be outstanding and MV is there.

Everyone has there idosycricies but I will always take a cartridge with good brass over the Rem crap for an accuracy gun. OK for plinker and 1 MOA and up but not serious work.

Now that I PO'd the Rem brass shooters off, oh well. Like I said my pet peeve.

the stock 300 weatherby is a much better way to go unless you like a lot of work.

BH

If your really looking for a flat shooting 30 cal then I would suggest the 300 Tomahawk.
Based off the 300 rum case its got a bit more case capacity than its parent case.
With a 34 in barrel I can launch Berger's 190 grainers at 3600 fps behind 100 grains of H1000.
It is one of the fastest shooting calibers out their and trajectory is impressive.
There are probably a few other cases that can match this but usually they are built off of belted whby cases and the case usually costs a lot more than the 300 rum brass.
The 338 Tomahawk is a true performer also with around 3300 fps topping the velocity meter.
JM2C
Dave

Here are some 30 Hart data out of 27" Hart barrel for comparison.

81.3gr VV165, 180 SST, F210 3218fps, ES 27.6 and SD 11.1 bullet jump of .080

84.0 gr RL22 (slow lot) 180 Sierra spitzer 3457 fps

Considering the shorter barrel and 20 gr less powder, it does not give much up to the RUM, but can still get a standard 300 weatherby with 180 to around 3200 fps and that is w/o fireforming and much better brass.

BH

Yea, I had a 30 Hart built by Bobby Hart many years ago. At the time it was a speed demon. Since then so many other 30 caliber cartridges have been developed. But it is accurate and I've hunted all over the world with it

does any one shoot bobby harts 7mm hart.its a blown out regulare 7mm magnum with a 40 degree shoulder on it.am looking for loads for 160 to 180 grain bullets,

Recent Posts