6mmBR loads

1kstr

I am interested in hearing what recipes you reload in the small weight bullets (55gr-70gr) as I am getting a
1-14" twist barrel 6mmBR built. Thanks in advance.
1kstr

Using Fed205gm primers and Lapua brass, I found Benchmark made a good combo with Sierra 70 grain Blitzkings. My particular barrel was a 6ppc barrel with about 1300 rounds down it when I converted it to a short barreled 6br for varmints. The barrel is still smooth but it didn't like 70 grain ballistic tips or 75 grain Vmax. Only the blitzkings worked really well.

With Benchmark, I use the low end node of 32.5 grains because it shot a little better at 200 yards than the high node of 34.5 grains. Although the 32.5 grain load is kinda slow, it shoots great and still whaps the chucks well.

Also, my barrel is only 21" long so trying for super speed with it was kinda pointless.

6mmbr.com recommends using CCI br primers in the 6br and I couldn't see where it made any difference, except that my groups got bigger with them. Fed 205gm primers worked the best by far in every load I tried.

1000yd,
I have a 6BR 14 twist Cooper varmint and its favourite load is 30.5grns of Vit 135 pushing a 68grn Berger, sparked off by a Fed 205M primer out of Lapua brass.
This load passes over the chrono for an average of 3120FPS and is extremely accurate.

Ian.

Yes. they go FAST!

A 26" barrel will yeild 3900 fps with AA2230. 7mmrhb has had one for many years and that's what he shoots. I never got them up that fast out of my gun but it only has a 21" barrel.

Hi i use the 55gr BlitzKings with 32gr Benchmark in a Rem 700 that was rechambered 243 VLS heavy barrel and cut to 22". With an ejector fitted over 32gr damages the head of the cases. I also use 33gr H4895 or 34gr Varget they all shoot under 3/8" at 100 yards and are all around 3400fps.

Cheers Bill
Australia

I have to admit, I do like FAST! GG, was his load also pretty accurate? I have never given that powder a try but looks like I might have to give it a test.

Thanks Bill, I have some powder like you mentioned that I will probably give a shot as well.
1kstr

Good

Have you shot any 65-68gr bullets in your BR.

I have a 22" one and tested some loads out last weekend with 65gr V-Max's and was getting 3550 with no pressure.

It seems high to me but don't know. I have a cheap Chrony and could have been lighting but it has been very close for me to work out drop charts. I am gonna try and get out this weekend for more testing.

I never tried the 65 grain bullets but I would bet your speeds could be realistic. I had 70 grain bullets doing 3400 from my 21" barrel and it wasn't really hot either.

The chrony chronos have been known to be off a ways but if you get the same numbers several times in a row then it has got to be consistent.

1K shooter, The BR Grouper is talking about is very accurate with any combination I have ever tried in it.

34-35grs varget works great with the 70gr NBT or 68 match bullets, giving an honest 3400 plus fps.

Benchmark gave 3400 plus fps with 32-32.5 grs and the 70s

With the 55 NBTs AA2230 is king for velocity- 3927 fps and plenty accurate in my gun!!

This gun was built 11 years ago and is not tight necked , In fact nothing about the chamber is tight. The long freebore(.108 ) probably contributes to the high velocity it achieves. It shoots Rem. brass because there weren't any Lapua brass at the time. I've threatened many times, as GG Uncle b. and OLd bear will testify, to have it set back and rechambered but it just shoots to good !!! ---RHB

[ QUOTE ]
Good
I have a 22" one and tested some loads out last weekend with 65gr V-Max's and was getting 3550 with no pressure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am also shooting the 65 V-Max, and getting about 3570 in a 24" barrel w/14" twist. Not a "hot load".

They keep in the high teens to mid twos on an overcast day.

I have tried the 70gr BKs and they shoot "OK", but in the 1/2" to 5/8" range. I think the 14" twist is a marginal for the 70 BKs.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.