Compressed Loads?

Does a compressed charge have any springback where the seating depth changes [COL increases] over time?
It's a possibility. I personally have never had it happen and I've had some compressed loads sitting around for years with no change.

Depends how compressed. Depends on neck tension. I don't know for sure but logically it makes sense to me that longer necks gripping more total bullet bearing surface should hang on tighter.

If one is worried about this there's always the option to crimp.

I seated a number of rounds to the same depth, but some were apparently still too long and wouldn't chamber. I don't think it was the cases. Possible the bullets are different enough in the ogive area or the seating stem might be touching the bullet point which it shouldn't be doing. Could always back off the powder by a grain or so also. The gun appears to have a short throat.

I seated a number of rounds to the same depth, but some were apparently still too long and wouldn't chamber. I don't think it was the cases. Possible the bullets are different enough in the ogive area or the seating stem might be touching the bullet point which it shouldn't be doing. Could always back off the powder by a grain or so also. The gun appears to have a short throat.
More details please!

What cartridge and what projectile?

It's also of note that I stopped trying to kiss the lands a long time ago, avoids all manner of potential problems in the field I've found. Same with neck-only resizing. I don't always just load to factory coal, there's sometimes a real benefit from seating longer and I have no problem with it. But if it's in a rifle that has any use other than paper punching (and i don't shoot competitively at all) I full length resize and i don't get so close to the lands that minor ogive variance or other intrinsic variables will be made manifest in a bad way

Full reliability is my number one priority. Then performance. Then accuracy. That's not to say I have no accuracy standards but for the hunting I do I'd rather have a .75 inch group with full horsepower out of a cartridge that feeds, chambers, and extracts like butter with no resistance and no risk of problems even if it gets roughed up a bit in the truck or the hike than a .3 inch group going 200 fps slower in a cartridge that's "finicky".

More details please!

What cartridge and what projectile?

It's also of note that I stopped trying to kiss the lands a long time ago, avoids all manner of potential problems in the field I've found. Same with neck-only resizing. I don't always just load to factory coal, there's sometimes a real benefit from seating longer and I have no problem with it. But if it's in a rifle that has any use other than paper punching (and i don't shoot competitively at all) I full length resize and i don't get so close to the lands that minor ogive variance or other intrinsic variables will be made manifest in a bad way

Full reliability is my number one priority. Then performance. Then accuracy. That's not to say I have no accuracy standards but for the hunting I do I'd rather have a .75 inch group with full horsepower out of a cartridge that feeds, chambers, and extracts like butter with no resistance and no risk of problems even if it gets roughed up a bit in the truck or the hike than a .3 inch group going 200 fps slower in a cartridge that's "finicky".

6.5-06 with Hornady 129 grain InterLocks or Barnes 130 grain TSX BT or Hammer 123 grain absolute. Less of an issue with the Hammers. All brass was new. The Hornadys have to be seated to the cannelure in order to chamber.

I'm using 55 grains of N-165 with the Barnes bullets and 55 grains of Reloder 19 with the Hammers. Both loads shoot pretty decent and nearly to the same POI with little to no jump. I could try the 120 grainers or back off a little on powder charge.

Last edited:
I've ran into this . run them through the seating die again the next day , they should stay after this second seating , mine have .

my first time experiencing this, I was loading IMR7828 in a 243 with 100gr bullets . this was before IMR7828sc was invented . the short cut powder fixed this problem .

It can…but depends on HOW HEAVY the compression is and how tightly PACKED the powder is.
The 2 worst offenders for me have been really heavy compression with tightly packed (vibrated to settle) RETUMBO and H50BMG, this being the worst after vibrating. It will push bullets out a full .100" with VLD boat tails. I try to avoid heavy compression, but sometimes the results can't be ignored and you just need to re-seat prior to shooting them.

Cheers.

Yes, it can happen. I avoid compressed loads if possible due to the effort during reloading and before shooting. This is move of an issue with bullets seated near the lands but as MagnumManiac noted, it can move quite a bit. Most of the compressed loads I see in the book won't move half that much. Only way to know is to measure it. Neck tension or the force required to release bullets changes with time as well.

Does a compressed charge have any springback where the seating depth changes [COL increases] over time?

I once had a "very" compressed load, using a powder that I knew was too slow while waiting for my chosen powder to come available!

The first couple of cartridges I loaded "swelled" the cases as I seated the bullet too rapidly. I ended up using a long drop tube, while gently tapping the case with a small screwdriver. Even then the powder was just (maybe 1/16") below the case rim…..I then seated a 270 grain Barnes bullet very slowly to prevent swelling (expanding) the case as done with the first few!

But…..once seated, the bullet remained at the proper seating depth! memtb