Nosler Compressed Loads?

timberelk

In my search to find max velocity and max accuracy in my 7mm08, I'm have turned my interest to R-19, Ramshot Hunter and Ramshot BigGame powders.

Did some research and they seem to be pretty decent powders for hunting setup but I'm concerned about the whole compressed load note in Nosler's manual.

All loads start around 97/99% capacity but they go up to 103%-110% compression. As a comparison varget stars around 83% and goes to 90% ish.

That is with a COAL of 2.800 per Nosler manual. And at least with Nosler 140 BTs my COAL is 2.885 so I will be most likely loading to a longer COAL so I would theorically have more Case capacity because I load my bullet out further than specs say in Noslers book.

What's your guys opinions on compressed or close to compressed loads?

RL17 will give you the highest velocity in the 7mm-08 . I'm getting 3080 FPS with a 140 Berger VLD , out of a 24" bbl . compressed loads don't give me problems until I get over about 105% . if you use a drop tube funnel this really helps with high case fill powders . yes , with you setting the bullet out further you will have more case capacity , but you will probably be adding a little more powder so the case fill percent will be about the same .

RL17 will give you the highest velocity in the 7mm-08 . I'm getting 3080 FPS with a 140 Berger VLD , out of a 24" bbl . compressed loads don't give me problems until I get over about 105% . if you use a drop tube funnel this really helps with high case fill powders . yes , with you setting the bullet out further you will have more case capacity , but you will probably be adding a little more powder so the case fill percent will be about the same .

Do you see any COAL change (powder pushing the bullet out) with your compressed loads?

Any negative effects with a compressed load?

Not sure I fully understand your last statement: "I will probably be adding a little more powder when I seat the bullet out further". Why would I do that? Wouldn't I stay on the exact powder grain charge as the manual but only load the bullet out .085" further (in the case of 140 nosler BT's)?

Do you see any COAL change (powder pushing the bullet out) with your compressed loads?

Any negative effects with a compressed load?

Not sure I fully understand your last statement: "I will probably be adding a little more powder when I seat the bullet out further". Why would I do that? Wouldn't I stay on the exact powder grain charge as the manual but only load the bullet out .085" further (in the case of 140 nosler BT's)?

I have ran into the bullets being pushed back out . this was using IMR7828 in a 243 . now that IMR7828 is available in the short cut , IMR7828ssc , that should solve that problem . all I did was reseat them the next day and the bullets stayed where I wanted them . I think this was with a higher percent case fill than 110% , I'd have to do some checking .

as you seat the bullet out longer you've added case capacity , pressures go down , velocity goes down . you can then add more powder to bring the pressure back up , this will bring the velocity back up .

I have ran into the bullets being pushed back out . this was using IMR7828 in a 243 . now that IMR7828 is available in the short cut , IMR7828ssc , that should solve that problem . all I did was reseat them the next day and the bullets stayed where I wanted them . I think this was with a higher percent case fill than 110% , I'd have to do some checking .

as you seat the bullet out longer you've added case capacity , pressures go down , velocity goes down . you can then add more powder to bring the pressure back up , this will bring the velocity back up .

Is there a rule of thumb as to how much extra powder you can add when seating bullets further out? Maybe for every .010" further out you load you can ad 0.1 grains?

COAL - Berger Bullets possibly you should read this if you have not already it should answer some questions you also need to be aware of when your bullet gets close to or starts contacting the lands because you could run into big trouble adding powder as it fits in the case with only compression in mind a lot of times when your bullet is close to the lands you cannot run the powder charges as high as you could at the SAAMI seating depth

COAL - Berger Bullets you should check this out if you have not already it should answer some questions you also need to be aware of when your bullet gets close to or starts contacting the lands because you could run into big trouble adding powder as it fits in the case with only compression in mind a lot of times when your bullet is close to the lands you cannot run the powder charges as high as you could at the SAAMI seating depth

Thank you for the heads up. I'm currently at .025" off the lands

Is there a rule of thumb as to how much extra powder you can add when seating bullets further out? Maybe for every .010" further out you load you can ad 0.1 grains?

No since each powder has a different sized gain. Also try slowly pouring your powder into the case so it consolidates better. Some people use a drop tube which does the same thing.

No since each powder has a different sized gain. Also try slowly pouring your powder into the case so it consolidates better. Some people use a drop tube which does the same thing.
Turn your media tumbler on an touch each case to the side of it to settle the powder further

not that I know of . I'll play on quickload and get an idea of where my pressure is , and about how much powder to add for the longer seating depth .

RL16 gave me a higher velocity than Big Game. I'm getting 2830 fps with a 140 grain Partition in a 20" barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.