6mm SAUM ??

My 6AI in a Savage Model10 (short action) handles 105 vld great seated to the lands with a few thousandths room in the mag. Not sure you could do that with an unaltered M700.

I honestly don't know how fast I can push 105gr because I stopped at 3380 fps because its getting consistently .3 average MOA 5 shot groups regularly.

The group in the pic is 200 yards.

That really sounds about right (105 gr. bullet @ 3380fps) , and is probably got another 50fps in it. My 6/250AI will push the 105 or Sierra 107 to slightly under 3100 with a tad over 44 grains of H1000 or Retumbo (don't remember how much). Barrel has about 850 rounds thru it, and is showing a slight bit of erosion. Yet the rifling is as tight as day one. I'll do a barrel set back in a couple hundred more shots. The next chamber will be exactly the same, but reamed with a 6mm AI chamber reamer. Cases can be made with the same .243 Winchester brass. The barrel shot .250" five shot groups till it got to the 700 round mark. It's now about .31". Barrel is going fast I guess. Neck comes at about .240"; which is about .075" short. Have a box of Berger 88"s gathering dust, and may try to work up a load with them (my two 6mm's hated them)

gary

The Berger didn't make it to the target.
The 115 Dtac and 107 smks held together.

Coal is 2.905.
I used a phoenix machine action rem model 7 size short action.
I have to single load them.

Just a note on the velocity I posted.
I used the density altitude and all drop info and stated bullet bc of the 115 dtac to determine the velocity.
I wasn't able to chronograph it but 3650 worked with all of the drops.
I thought it would be 200 fps less but it shot much flatter.

Just a note on the velocity I posted.
I used the density altitude and all drop info and stated bullet bc of the 115 dtac to determine the velocity.
I wasn't able to chronograph it but 3650 worked with all of the drops.
I thought it would be 200 fps less but it shot much flatter.

That is important enough to say from the beginning.

Starting up on old thread. anyone else still running a 6mm saum? Finishing up a 7mm Max and looking to do a one (base) gun to do all. Should I just shoot the 7mm max for everyting, coyotes to elk? Was thinking maybe having a 6 saum spun up for coyotes to deer and if I draw an elk tag put the 7mm max back on. 7mm max will be shooting hammer hunters or 162 eldx.

I'm sure it been done but I'd be more than a little concerned about barrel wear !! That's a lot of powder in a .243 bore in my opinion, oh well, life's short...

It's what 2 grains more water capacity than a 6-284 ? I'd like a shorter coal the 284 case really needs an xm with the new long 6mm bullets. As far as barrel life I'm doubtful it's going to be perceptible worse than the 6-284 and considering the long range nature of this board is right in the mix.

Seems like a solid option that doesn't have as much of a following as you'd think. Would like some semi standardized 243 magnum to take advantage of these new long 6mm pills.

Barrels are consumable but each to his own. If a shooter wants to run a "magnum" 6mm in a short action, I think the SAUM or a Sherman variant would be perfect. I decided to go Long action with my 6-284 & now I'm really glad I did when I switched from the 107smk to the 112 Match Burners.

One would think the short & fat case of the SAUM would be a little more efficient than the 284 although, I would personally prefer a longer neck if I could be picky about it. Run a cool burning powder & keep the barrel temps down... a 6mmSAUM would be pure poison on anything up to mule deer. It might actually be THE go-to cartridge for the wide open space of antelope country. 🤔

t

The one that shocks me is the lack of a 6mm prc, kinda shocked that one isn't everywhere as it would be as easy a switch as the 284. Seems like companies jumped in with both feet on the 6.5prc, those 6mm pills in a prc should still go in a wyatts short action (big maybe).

Heartily agree on barrels being a consumable, especially in the long range game. Sports cars and tires, 2 stroke mountain sleds and top ends... gotta pay to play.

Lazerronis don't count.... unless we're hunting ligers, unicorns, or jackalopes.

Credit where it's due, lazerronis were ahead of their time. Issue is they make Weatherby optins look positively mainstream and easily available.

Saum and prc have as readily available premium brass as is possible, and with bushing dies shouldn't be substantially difficult to load for. It's been a while since I had a 6x284, operated at modern pressures it's a fun one. Stepping up to to the prc/saum might get to the upper node with less effort on brass.