6mm/saum

nostawpres

Hello, I'm new here to Long Range Hunting and like what I see, I have a small shop where I build a few rifles and I had a fella that wanted me to
barrel his rifle in a 300 saum necked down to 6mm but he nor I have any data for this round if any of you out there know anything about this round
I would be grateful. we can't seem to get much better than 6mm rem.
speeds out of this thing and we can't catch my 240 wby. at all. what are we doing wrong?????

What weight bullets you running? Case capacity should be almost identical to the .240 Roy... maybe a little more. I'd think RE-22 would be the ticket with bullets above 70 grains. I know my 6mm Rem. loves RE-22 and the 95 grainers (Berger, Nosler). I'm thinkng you'll need to run pretty slow powders and should be able to get 3300 or so with a 95... that should hammer whatever you'd want to shoot with a 6mm bullet. ~JT

we can't catch my 240 wby. at all. what are we doing wrong

What you did wrong is you should have used the 240 Wby reamer.:D

Try about 52+ grains of IMR 4350 if you have the nerve and are capable of regenerating body parts.

Do a search -malcarjeb- he has a 6mm wsm maybe you can get a starting point from his info anyway.

I think he has good luck w/ ball type powders.

Also you can google for -jon sundra 25 saum- ,he had one built and did some load work up w/ 100gr bullets.Again maybe you can get a good baseline.

46gr of 4831 85gr Speer BTSP = 3580fps in a regular 6mm.
Ya can't reinvent the wheel.
Good luck though...hope ya find the right combo. Keep us posted.

I do have a 6mm WSM and I love it. It has a 29" 12 twist barrel. I have had very good results with Ramshot Magnum. I mainly use mine for deer and use the Barnes 85g XLC and it will shoot between 1/4 and 1/2 with a velocity of 3850fps. It has been very easy getting a load worked up but I'm not sure of the exact amount of powder I am using(info in shop).

I did kill 2 deer last season with it and it was awsome. Both were dead instantly. Hope to shoot some more this year.

thanks fellas for the input, say Malcarjeb if you get back to the shop i would be grateful for whatever load data you were using thanks again!!!

i have a buddy that has a 6mm WSM and he was getting 4200fps with a 70 gr bullet out of a 28" BBL, but that was MAX LOAD maybe a little over!!!

nostawpres,

Sorry its taken so long to get back to you, I was out of town.

I worked up to 74 grains of Ramshot Magnum and a little more but 74 was the best accuracy and velocity. I am using CCI 250 primers. Like i said before it shoots so good i have never tried any thing else.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.