6mm SAUM ??

Credit where it's due, lazerronis were ahead of their time. Issue is they make Weatherby optins look positively mainstream and easily available.

You might want to examine John's newer website. He has updated his business model and a couple of the suppliers. He is now using a Sako-type action (maybe Fierce) and has RCC making some of the brass for him. Reports from consumers I know are positive. The brass is a big improvement and is now available as compared to the past when finding it was impossible. It's actually less expensive to buy loaded ammunition $7/shot ($140) as opposed to buying the brass first time use at $8/piece ($400/50). Yes, I understand about multiple firings for brass cases.

;)

You might want to examine John's newer website. He has updated his business model and a couple of the suppliers. He is now using a Sako-type action (maybe Fierce) and has RCC making some of the brass for him. Reports from consumers I know are positive. The brass is a big improvement and is now available as compared to the past when finding it was impossible. It's actually less expensive to buy loaded ammunition $7/shot ($140) as opposed to buying the brass first time use at $8/piece ($400/50). Yes, I understand about multiple firings for brass cases.

;)

He's still using his 2012 action made by Defiance for his rifles. I haven't seen anything to say otherwise?

Did a little look at the new website. While I'm grateful for his attempts at bringing non belted steep shoulder angle magnums mainstream, as well as the ground work for the wsm concept. A cursory scroll through his web page, wildcats are easier to stomach.

Rcc brass is a really near outfit, I've used brass from them for loading an antiquated cartridge fir a friend wanted to use them on a once in a lifetime africa hunt. Our goal wasn't maximum loadings, rather proper headstamp brass. It felt a lot like old federal premium brass, I'd rate it as decent but not adg/lapua level. I've been reloading for oddball cartridges long before I could drive under the tutelage of a family friend. Like most of us who have done that for decades, brass prep is onerous and quality brass that lasts is worth every penny. Guessing 100 pieces of adg prc brass could easily outlast the leade of a 6prc barrel, could 100 pieces of rcc? Dunno, but at 4x the cost I'll stick to a more standard base. Guessing a full custom with dies and a reamer factored in will beat the lazzeeoni by several thousand in savings.

On the barrel life side of things.. started reading lrh in 05 while healing up from a broken bone. Barrel life was not nearly as crucial to the community back then and the wildcats it precipitated are evidence of such. I've burned a 6x284 barrel, so understand it's a short life but so are rear tires in a muscle car but it doesn't stop burnouts...

Does anyone know a barrel builder with a 6 prc reamer? It would be nice to follow someone else's path than start scratch with a reamer and an idea...

People are building 6.5 SAUM's with good results.

Am I just being silly considering a 6mm version ?

I had a plan to build a 6mm-6.5 Rem Mag, so I thought
well as long as I'm considering that, what about a slightly
more extreme version ?
Well, you defiantly set a goal for yourself, I think the 6.5 Rem Mag case is a great little platform, but maybe a little overbore as would be the 6mm RSAUM idea. What you might look hard at is the .243 WSSM this I've used and loved in the 6mm class, pretty much everything past the 6mmx284 Win, 240 Wby Mag, 6mm06 is just burning unneeded powder, the except would be the 6mm Remington and of course the .243 Win Good luck, Cheers

I just placed an order with my gunsmith tonight for a 6 SAUM. The reasoning in my mind is that I absolutely love the velocity and believe it or not the on target energy of my 22 Creedmoor. Out to around 500 yards the extra velocity (88gr Hornady ELD-M's at 3,350 fps muzzle velocity) of the 22 Creed really shines with pretty good on target energy. I wanted to be in the same ballpark velocity wise with the 115gr bullets in 6mm caliber. I love the 6mm Creed also and it's really all that is needed for southern whitetails in West Texas or Southwest Arkansas where I generally hunt, but I wanted a 6mm that would have a velocity of around 3,300 fps with the 115's and using the 27" barrel I just bought I think it will achieve those kind of velocities. Someone once told me: barrels are like tires, and I tend to believe that's true. Since it'll only be used as a hunting rifle after load development, I'm betting the first barrel will last me many years.

I just placed an order with my gunsmith tonight for a 6 SAUM. The reasoning in my mind is that I absolutely love the velocity and believe it or not the on target energy of my 22 Creedmoor. Out to around 500 yards the extra velocity (88gr Hornady ELD-M's at 3,350 fps muzzle velocity) of the 22 Creed really shines with pretty good on target energy. I wanted to be in the same ballpark velocity wise with the 115gr bullets in 6mm caliber. I love the 6mm Creed also and it's really all that is needed for southern whitetails in West Texas or Southwest Arkansas where I generally hunt, but I wanted a 6mm that would have a velocity of around 3,300 fps with the 115's and using the 27" barrel I just bought I think it will achieve those kind of velocities. Someone once told me: barrels are like tires, and I tend to believe that's true. Since it'll only be used as a hunting rifle after load development, I'm betting the first barrel will last me many years.

My 6-284 will beat 3300 with a 112, with the powder capacity of the SAUM, you should definitely have no problem achieving your goal.

I still think it would be a very cool little chambering & just about perfect for a solid antelope rifle.

t

My 6-284 will beat 3300 with a 112, with the powder capacity of the SAUM, you should definitely have no problem achieving your goal.

I still think it would be a very cool little chambering & just about perfect for a solid antelope rifle.

t
Thanks Outlaw, my main plan for it is for my West Texas whitetail rifle. I bet it'll be fantastic on them; I normally use a 6mm Creed on them and it does great but since I was gonna have a custom one built I figured why not go ahead and go a little bit faster with those 115's you know. I ordered an AG Composites Adjustable Chalk Branch stock for it this morning over the phone. Question: what powder are you using in your 6-284? Trying to get an idea of some good choices for the 6 SAUM if anybody has any recommendations? I've used N565 with wonderful results in my 6.5 PRC's but don't know if that'll be a good choice for 6 SAUM or not?

@pappasmurff

I completely understand. I'm a speed freak as well lol Hence the 6-284 & 6.5WSM & 22-243 & the 22 Creed i'm planning at the moment.

I run Ramshot Magnum in the 6-284 which offers a very comparable burn rate to H1000. I apologize, but I do not have any experience with N565 (just N570 that I use in my 6.5WSM).

t

@pappasmurff

I completely understand. I'm a speed freak as well lol Hence the 6-284 & 6.5WSM & 22-243 & the 22 Creed i'm planning at the moment.

I run Ramshot Magnum in the 6-284 which offers a very comparable burn rate to H1000. I apologize, but I do not have any experience with N565 (just N570 that I use in my 6.5WSM).

t
You will LOVE a 22 Creed! I'm using RL-26 and pushing the 88gr ELD-M at 3,360 FPS out of its 26" barrel averaging group sizes in the .1 MOA's (shoots 3 shot groups of around 3/4" at 400 yards). It hits a whole lot harder on target than you think it's going to with those long 22 caliber bullets at those kinds of velocities. And thanks for the info, I have some Magnum powder I can try once it's finished.

I want to use the 90grn A-tip if I can find any when I get it built lol I'll also be going 26". I'm honestly not sure what i'm going to do with it yet as I have three 6mm's I usually take out after deer & goats... But i'm sure i'll have to give it at least one try on a speed goad :cool:

Magnum is the only powder this rifle has ever seen and it's been darn good to me. If you can get your hands on some H1000, it's pretty cool burning and should help extend barrel life some... then again, they are consumables anyway so...

t