6mm SAUM ??

hemiford,

The 6mm SAUM is alive and well. GAP has had the reamer for the last couple of years. There should be about a 1/2 dozen barrels cut with it already.

By practicing the same powder management as with the 6.5 SAUM (6.5 GAP 4S) you will achieve the high velocities you want and still get viable barrel life. It is infinitely easier to form the cases now that Hornady is supplying the 6.5 GAP 4S brass as a starting point.

Regards.

Hard not to like the plain old 6mm Remington which is a very balanced cartridge and it gets about all you can without being overbore. Hard to tell that I like that cartridge by looking at my handle.

David

6mm Remington,

No there isn't anything wrong with the 6mm Remington. Except that for long range shooting, trying to stuff the VLD bullets into that case and make it work through a short action magazine defeats any gains you might achieve. The bullets intrude deeply into the case compromising the powder space available. The 6mm Rem. case capacity is only a grain and a little more than the .243 Win. yet it's nearly 0.200" longer than that case. This doesn't bode well for using those longer, high BC bullets at all.

Now, if you get away from the short actions, going instead to an intermediate length action such as the Defiance XM, you have exactly what Paul Mauser used when he design the 7mm Mauser cartridge for the M98 system, room to work with the longer bullets.

Then, if you improve the body and change the shoulder angle to a modern design of 30 to 32 degrees, you really have a much higher performance cartridge. You find yourself getting about 61 gr. instead of 54.5 gr. and a much better range of powder selection for higher velocities and cooler burning, better barrel life.

If none of this interests you then ignore the above and continue being happy with what you have. There is a ton of interesting cartridges out there and we can't all agree on which one is the best. The best is the one you are comfortable with and the one which accomplishes your goals. No argument there.

Regards.

Sable,

Thanks for the heads up.
I see that the 243W and the 7-SAUM/6-SAUM have almost
the same case length. SAUM has 20-gr more powder though !

Also it looks a little simpler to form 6-SAUM out of 6.5-SAUM
then it does to form 6-WSM out of 270 WSM.

What to do, what to do....

6mm Remington,

No there isn't anything wrong with the 6mm Remington. Except that for long range shooting, trying to stuff the VLD bullets into that case and make it work through a short action magazine defeats any gains you might achieve. The bullets intrude deeply into the case compromising the powder space available. The 6mm Rem. case capacity is only a grain and a little more than the .243 Win. yet it's nearly 0.200" longer than that case. This doesn't bode well for using those longer, high BC bullets at all.

Now, if you get away from the short actions, going instead to an intermediate length action such as the Defiance XM, you have exactly what Paul Mauser used when he design the 7mm Mauser cartridge for the M98 system, room to work with the longer bullets.

Then, if you improve the body and change the shoulder angle to a modern design of 30 to 32 degrees, you really have a much higher performance cartridge. You find yourself getting about 61 gr. instead of 54.5 gr. and a much better range of powder selection for higher velocities and cooler burning, better barrel life.

If none of this interests you then ignore the above and continue being happy with what you have. There is a ton of interesting cartridges out there and we can't all agree on which one is the best. The best is the one you are comfortable with and the one which accomplishes your goals. No argument there.

Regards.

a lot of your post is dependent on the action you select. The Remington short action starts out too short for much of anything longer than 52mm in case length. But they still chamber the big six in it all the time. A Winchester M70 is about .100" longer, and of course better suited for the 57mm case length. The Savage is roughly .150" longer, and nearly perfect. Plus the Savage can be had in a single shot configuration. Magazine wells are restrictive in any rifle.

Lets just say you want a 6mm fat case whatever. They all have they same issue. Too short of a neck length, but the 7mm case length necked down will do for a 6mm diameter. Still marginal. So your big on long VLD's, and you can also expect the base of the bullet to be in the shoulder unless your into free bore. The big six has a .350" neck length, and the VLD's fit right in there with little issues.

gary

What about a 6 MM Sherman Shortmag? Anybody done one of those?

No, but I want someone to:D It would be a screamer for sure. The neck would be approx. .310" which would be great for a 6mm. You could load the 115 Bergers where they should be and would fit nicely in any action. Velocity would be at least 200' more than a 6/284......Rich

No, but I want someone to:D It would be a screamer for sure. The neck would be approx. .310" which would be great for a 6mm. You could load the 115 Bergers where they should be and would fit nicely in any action. Velocity would be at least 200' more than a 6/284......Rich

This would work in a short action?

a lot of your post is dependent on the action you select. The Remington short action starts out too short for much of anything longer than 52mm in case length. But they still chamber the big six in it all the time. A Winchester M70 is about .100" longer, and of course better suited for the 57mm case length. The Savage is roughly .150" longer, and nearly perfect. Plus the Savage can be had in a single shot configuration. Magazine wells are restrictive in any rifle.

Lets just say you want a 6mm fat case whatever. They all have they same issue. Too short of a neck length, but the 7mm case length necked down will do for a 6mm diameter. Still marginal. So your big on long VLD's, and you can also expect the base of the bullet to be in the shoulder unless your into free bore. The big six has a .350" neck length, and the VLD's fit right in there with little issues.

gary

The post is directed towards the 6mm Remington cartridge as it is used in the M700 short action. It was originally positioned to compete with the .243 Win. cartridge for varmint shooting. Slow twist, short, light varmint bullets. They later added a longer 100 grain SP bullet, made the barrels with a faster twist and seated the bullet deeply to accommodate the deer hunters.

This is a 'Long Range Hunting' website and forum so yes the use of VLD bullets is decidedly germane to this discussion. However, when we attempt to seat the VLDs so as not to infringe too deeply into the powder space, we usually run out of magazine space. Many of us who like and use the 6mm Rem. in it's various iterations have resorted to using the DBM with the added 0.150" of length by not including the spacer in those magazines. Using the 105 and 115 VLDs still eats up 0.150" to 0.300" of case capacity even when the 0.350 neck length is taken into consideration.

Certainly there is a fair selection of single shot actions I would choose over the Savage without even giving it a second thought. Surgeon, Defiance, Remington 40X, let alone all of the competition single shots from Kelbly, Borden, Barnard, BAT, Stiller, etc. Push comes to shove and even the lowly Remington M700 can be fitted with a single shot adapter and used in a solid bottom stock. In this configuration nearly any length can be achieved as long as the chamber will accommodate the cartridge length and the bullet doesn't fall out of the end of the case...

The short, fat case has been a heated topic of discussion for a couple of decades at least. There is nothing wrong with short and fat so long as the powder can be ignited safely and the burn is according to Hoyle.

Insofar as the 6mm SAUM is concerned, it has been fired until a barrel gave up, either accuracy or lost a significant amount of velocity. They were removed and the chamber/throat area was milled off to expose the damage without resorting to a scope. Most went 2,000 rounds thereabouts. This is practicing the same sort of powder management as used for the 6.5 GAP 4S, a slow, cooler burning powder, lower pressure and no long, fast runs. There aren't any secrets, it's all been published on the internet.

Do I like this cartridge? Sure I do. It's easy to make, the reamer and parent brass are both available. It accomplishes what I set out to do without a lot of fuss.

In that same vein though, I still love the 6mm Crusader (a version of the 6mm Rem. with improvements) but fired in a single shot or intermediate length magazine/action. But there is also a ton of other 6mm and 6.5mm cartridges that are superb. Choosing is difficult at best.

Regards.

6mm Remington,

Regards.

My 6AI in a Savage Model10 (short action) handles 105 vld great seated to the lands with a few thousandths room in the mag. Not sure you could do that with an unaltered M700.

I honestly don't know how fast I can push 105gr because I stopped at 3380 fps because its getting consistently .3 average MOA 5 shot groups regularly.

The group in the pic is 200 yards.

Attachments

• 20160217_142701-1.jpg
    20160217_142701-1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 171
I built up a 6-300 wsm for my antelope hunt last year.
Shot 115 gr Bn coated DTAC s at 3650 with 65 gr Retumbo.
Accurate and laser flat. I used 14.75 MOA at 1000yds if my memory serves me right.
I shot a nice antelope at 1020 yds.