6mm Remington advice Please

KABAR

I inherited a beautiful bench rest rifle in 6mm Remington that has a Hart barrel with a 1 in 12 twist. The rifle has only had 12 rounds threw it and they were factory rounds. I truly need help getting some load advice on this barrel twist since Remington changed the twist rate years ago to a 1 in 9 twist. I would love to shoot this rifle from reloads and not factory ammo, but I have no clue where to start. Everything I find are great loads for the 1 in 9 twist and nothing on the 1 in 12.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kabar

mine shoots everything good i have tried 70, 80 85 87 88, (except) 95 vld no. enjoy . mine is awesome.

Ron, thank you for your input on the rounds that will shoot in the 1 in 12 twist, and I have most of those plus the 87 V Max. My need is for a starting point with the recommended best powders and their favorite recipes. All the manuals are for the 1 in 9 twist and I am looking for guys input for their 1 in 12 twist . Thanks again for your input.

Kabar- barrel quality is more important the twist. my 6mm br ( krieger) 1 in 8 twist shoot s. everything good from 55 to 107. my .243 hart 1 in 12 twist shoots everything i have tried real real good ; except the 95 vld . the 1 in 12 is not designed to shoot them. i have loaded a lot of .243 win i use I4064 and varget and shoot mainly 70's and 85-87s . for a little more velocity i use H/I 4350. not sure what you are shooting at. for target/paper i would load some 87 berger or some 70 sierra matchking. and i would use varget or I4064. based on my experience loading .243 and 6mmbr. the twist only determines if you can shoot the heavier/longer bullets. i have tried the 95 berger , no go. i have not tried the 90 scenar or 90 berger . i have not tried the more standard hunting bullets like the 95 partition or 100 btsp . . i am sure they would do fine. they are not long like the 95 vld. load some up , let me know how it shoots . ron

Ron, I apologize for not giving enough information on this rifle. The barrel is a Hart barrel not broken in yet, it has a Jewell trigger set at a few ounces, and a Weaver 36 fixed power with a bench rest stock. I got crate of bullets in 58 V Max, 65 V Max, 87 V Max, Berger 74 MEF's, and some Toland 68 grain. Those I know he shot in his other rifle, but this one not yet. Plus a box of Hornady 100 BTSP, Sierra 107 HPBT, and a box of 105 Lapua Scenar. I know the last 3 won't shoot in a 1 in 12 twist, but all the others should.
Now to pick the best powders and starting grains and I can start working with this rifle.
Thanks for your help.

Kabar- i have not tried the 100 btsp in mine. however like a 105 amax in a 1-9, the 100 btsp may or may not do ok. no reason to shoot them though. plenty of others to chose for deer or what ever that would be fine.

:)
I inherited a beautiful bench rest rifle in 6mm Remington that has a Hart barrel with a 1 in 12 twist. The rifle has only had 12 rounds threw it and they were factory rounds. I truly need help getting some load advice on this barrel twist since Remington changed the twist rate years ago to a 1 in 9 twist. I would love to shoot this rifle from reloads and not factory ammo, but I have no clue where to start. Everything I find are great loads for the 1 in 9 twist and nothing on the 1 in 12.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kabar
I think you need to use 90 grains or less
bullets . Remington used to make 90 grain bronze points for the 244 aka 6mm . Remington changed the when they changed the twist to 1-9 . I have 244 ackley improved . It does not have factory 1-12 twist barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts