Load advice please

Caleb517

Sorry if this is in the wrong place,
Iam new to reloading and Iam just getting started, these will be the first loads I've made, but my dad has loaded in the past so I've got the basic operations down, Iam just clueless on what I need to load them with, I just need to know what kind of rounds to get started with I know I will have to play with them to see which ones my guns like.
What kind of loads would you guys start with, Iam from Tennessee, I've heard tempeture will bother some powders, but correct me if iam wrong. I usually shoot 300-600 yards maybe 800 if I can find a place, I will be loading for thease 2 guns
Dpms lr-308 with 24" stainless barrel 1x10 twist
22-250 sendero 26" barrel not sure on the twist of it, how can I tell?
Thanks!

For the 308, the 175 SMK works wonderful with Varget if you can find it. OAL should be in the 2.808 region. Tennessee has major temp variations from winter to summer so if Varget is unavailable, using IMR or RL powders, you are going to have to work up two loads; one for winter and one for summer. Three different loads may suit you better depending on how much precision you need. I can't speak for the 22-250 since I have never loaded for it. I am willing to bet H4831 or H1000 are the preferred powders for the 22-250.

Caleb,
Welcome to LRH and the exciting world of reloading. I started years ago to make shooting affordable. If you enjoy it as much as I do, it's everything but affordable! The more you reload the more you will shoot, the more you shoot the better a shot you become.
For your .308 I'd load either the 168 or 175gn. There are some excellent bullets in this range and they shoot good out to 800yds. As for powders, the guys I shoot with use IMR4064 and Varget. There are plenty of powders out there that will work with the .308. I would probably experiment with the Hodgdon and IMR varieties of 4350 and 4831, Viht N150 and RL15. Years ago when I owned a .308 I shot 150gn Ballistic Tips with 43.0gns of IMR3031.

Your .22-250 is a 1-14" twist. Anything from 40 - 55gns should shoot wonderfully. I loved the 40's for crows but the Sierra 52gn MK was superior for accuracy. The crow's couldn't tell the difference! IMR4895 was my go to powder with Varget in #2 position.

Both calibers are capable of terrific accuracy. I used CCI BR2's for both calibers. IMR4831 is probably too slow for the .22-250 and H1000 is too slow for both, IMO. :) JohnnyK.

Welcome to the LRH site!

For the .308 I would load 168gr Hornady A-MAXs or BTHPs. Sierra 168s are also very accurate. We exclusively have switched to 168 A-MAXs in two .308s and two .30-06s for all around hunting out to 800yds. These bullets are exceptionally accurate and work very well on game animals. For powder, try IMR 4064, this is what we shoot in both of the .308s and we are getting around 2700fps with the 168s in a 24" barrel so this is a very effective load.

In the .22-250 we have always tested rifles for accuracy using IMR 4320 and 50, 53, or 55gr bullets. The 53gr V-MAX is your best option for varmint hunting with a high BC and the high speeds of the .22-250 make this a very destructive and flat shooting combo in this cartridge.

Both a 1:12 and 1:14 are the most popular factory .22-250 twists and Remington uses a 1:14 so that's what is in your rifle. To test a twist, if you ever need to though, measure out common twist rates for a given caliber on a cleaning rod. Make sure that the rod spins freely with the rifling, and mark the spot with a Sharpie or something of that matter and make sure to have a tight fitting patch on the rod. In this case, if you marked the 14 inch spot and if it's a 1:14 twist like what is used in your .22-250, then the black spot will be pointing straight up after pushing the rod 14inches down the barrel. Hope this helps!

for the 22-250 ; 35.5 for benchmark and a 50 grain balisitic tip. there are other powders and bullets almost as good. for the .308 varget or I4064 are the two most commonly used. bullets are : 155 berger or scenar, 168 berger , 167 scenar.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.