advice please

Possum284

I have a model 70 boss in 7mm rem mag the barrel isn't very long only like 23-24 maybe I want to up the performance a little and thought about a rechamber but don't know what to go to the mag well isn't very big so the stw is out and I don't know if I can rechamber to the weatherby or the dakota or something else I don't know about any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Rechambering your gun to even the 7mmRUM will give you very little added performance in a barrel that short , personaly i don't think its worth the money , save those funds and put them to having a new barrel installed that will allow you to get all the good out of the higher capacity cases like the STW and Dakota.

but if you want to rechamber the Weatherby would be your best bet but the differance is velocity is going to be minimal , I seriously doubt that you would even get 100fps and the cost of the ammo is 2x higher. You can make the Dakota work as well as the STW but it;ll take a little more work than just rechambering.

You should have a 26 inch barrel to get the optimal preformance out of the big mags like the RUM, STW, and WBY. If you want to rechamber, you would be wasteing your money rechambering a factory barrel. Purchase a Krieger, Hart or Lilja and have it chambered in what you want or start from scratch using a Savage action. When you rechamber you have to keep in mind the bolt face if you want to reuse the bolt w/o having it machined. The RUM will take machining as will any of the WSM based cartidges. If the gun shoots good, leave it be and put up with the 100 fps loss in velocity IMHO. Good luck

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.