Advice Please!!!

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Jim Hundley, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Jim Hundley

Jim Hundley Well-Known Member

A couple of general questions:
    I reload for the .300 Win.mag.with hunting bullets.I am working with the Quick Load program.There is a value to be added in this program called "shot start"pressure.What value should I place in this spot when using a Federal GM215m or a WLRM primer?
    Another question is there anything that I am over lookingi.e. advantages/disadvantages in using slow burning powders in this caliber with 165-180grn.bullets?I have used powders such as H-1000,Retumbo,Ramshot magnum with great accuracy and no conventional pressure signs even though the loads are compressed.I have attained higher velocity with these powders and 1/2" and under accuracy.I have used the popular powders like RL-22,Hodgdon 4831sc with good results ,also.It seems spooky to me that just about any combination that I load seems to provide acceptable results.Am I overlooking the obvious or just lucky?I am fairly new to reloading.Would welcome any commits or advice.
    Thank you,
    Jimmy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. sniper2

sniper2 Well-Known Member

If it's not broke do not fix it !!!

3. tvincent

tvincent Member

Jimmy

Have you tried the Sierra loads in the 5th handloading manual? If you need any help, I would be happy to offer any recommendations or help.

Thomas

4. Jim Hundley

Thanks to all.No,I haven't tried any Sierra loads.It is the only manuel that I don't have at this time.Are there many choices for a 150 or 168 hunting bullet?
    Jimmy

5. goodgrouper

goodgrouper Well-Known Member

300 win mags hold a good portion of the 1000 yard br records and that is not a coincidence. They flat work. You might have a very easy-going rifle that likes all loads and that is something to be grateful for. Enjoy it because the next rifle you buy probably will be more finicky!

6. tvincent

tvincent Member

Sierra Recommends: (Most Accurate load)
    150 gr. IMR-4895 61.5 gr. Velocity = 3100 Ft.-Lbs = 3201
    168 gr. MagPro 77.2 gr. Velocity = 3000 Ft.-Lbs = 3298

Thomas

7. Jim Hundley

Thanks!
    Jimmy