22-6mm Newbie Here - Advice Please

Levers -

Howdy !

I shoot a 6mm wildcat w/ powder capacity of 51.2gr H2O.
My most accurate loads have been w/ RL-22.

After reading that RL-22 burns pretty "hot", I began trying out the newer ( also less temp sensitive ) RL-23.

RL-23 has a burn rate positioned between that of RL-22, and IMR 7828.

Since I have no desire to burn up any of my barrels prematurely, I am currently doing range work w/
RL-23 ( and 95T- MK ).

In my rifle/ my loads ....my max RL-23 load happens to be just
.1gr < my max RL-22 load. More range time will tell whether RL-23 will provide the accuracy level I seek. Case fill levels are comparable for the same charge wt , when comparing these 2 powders ( IMHO ).

YRMV in .224" caliber ?

With regards,
357Mag

Look at RL 25 and RL 26 as well with 75 gr ELD's or Berger 82.5 grain. For larger game look at the Barnes 70 TSX.

See, I would have thought the other way round. I was thinking RL19 might be a good one to use. As soon as bullets show up today and my pesky job gets out of the way I will work up a couple of ladders with a couple of powders. My pet load with 22-250 uses Varget….any thoughts with the heavier bullets?

Levers -

Howdy !

I shoot a 6mm wildcat w/ powder capacity of 51.2gr H2O.
My most accurate loads have been w/ RL-22.

After reading that RL-22 burns pretty "hot", I began trying out the newer ( also less temp sensitive ) RL-23.

RL-23 has a burn rate positioned between that of RL-22, and IMR 7828.

Since I have no desire to burn up any of my barrels prematurely, I am currently doing range work w/
RL-23 ( and 95T- MK ).

In my rifle/ my loads ....my max RL-23 load happens to be just
.1gr < my max RL-22 load. More range time will tell whether RL-23 will provide the accuracy level I seek. Case fill levels are comparable for the same charge wt , when comparing these 2 powders ( IMHO ).

YRMV in .224" caliber ?

With regards,
357Mag

I haven't tried the RL23, I have 22 & 25 on the shelf. But it do get HOT here in Texas, all 100's next week. That has been an issue in the past with RL17 for me. Work up loads all summer here in TX, then hunt in fall / winter. POI varies. I am not looking to burn barrels unnecessarily either. Thank you all for the replies & advice!

I am not familiar with that cartridge. Is case capacity comparable? I don't have any of the SSC on the shelf, nor do I have experience with it but If all else fails....

Technically it's a 22-243 middlestead, reform 243 brass by pushing the shoulder back slightly and changing the shoulder angle.

Technically it's a 22-243 middlestead, reform 243 brass by pushing the shoulder back slightly and changing the shoulder angle.

So yeah fairly comparable, the 6mm has a couple of grains on it. I will see if one of my buddies has some SSC I can try. If not I'll grab a pound but "on the shelf" powder selection has been sketchy in my neck of the woods lately.

Yes sir. I think RL22 seems to be the consensus, I would have thought a little faster burn rate, but I have 4-5lbs on the shelf so why knock it! I'm looking forward to putting those Swift bullets on game. I have had very good results with them in all my .30's and .270.
I will work up carefully, I want this barrel to last. I think it will be a winning combo.
The throat will be toast after about 500 rounds. This is a very hot .22. Do not spend a lot of time working up a load. 75gr Sciroccos will shoot about 1/2-3/4" in a gun that will shoot in the .1's with target bullets, but they have the best BC of any hunting bullet available, and performs well on game. It shoots laser flat within its effective range, and it is a good hunting cartridge for coyotes to deer. It is not a target or varmint cartridge. Re 23 sounds like something to try, but Re 22 works.

The throat will be toast after about 500 rounds. This is a very hot .22. Do not spend a lot of time working up a load. 75gr Sciroccos will shoot about 1/2-3/4" in a gun that will shoot in the .1's with target bullets, but they have the best BC of any hunting bullet available, and performs well on game. It shoots laser flat within its effective range, and it is a good hunting cartridge for coyotes to deer. It is not a target or varmint cartridge. Re 23 sounds like something to try, but Re 22 works.

I think I have a real good place to start with the RL22 thanks to you guys. I won't be using this one for super long range so BC is secondary for me to weight & construction. I believe the swift's will do what I want. Here's hoping these expensive little bullets get on game within 20 rds or so. Definitely cost prohibitive for me to shoot them all day long. 2 boxes of them should last my lifetime for hunting, my kids can worry about it after that. I'll try to get some range reports up soon.

These large capacity cases with very small bores use up the barrel pretty quickly. Having burned the throats out of a couple of .22-250's, and I think that putting this one out there to see what other guys have had success with was a VERY good idea. Start with something that has worked well for other guys, find a good bullet and load with a minimal amount of shooting, and save your barrel for shooting a whole bunch of deer.

These large capacity cases with very small bores use up the barrel pretty quickly. Having burned the throats out of a couple of .22-250's, and I think that putting this one out there to see what other guys have had success with was a VERY good idea. Start with something that has worked well for other guys, find a good bullet and load with a minimal amount of shooting, and save your barrel for shooting a whole bunch of deer.

Yes sir. That is the plan. I figure on shooting the barrel out of my savage 22-250 eventually but it is cheaper and easier to replace. I'm going to be about there on my 257Wby soon I'm afraid and I did a bunch of load development with a 300RUM this last year, they are hunting guns only now, can't afford too many barrels!
UPS just dropped off my midway box at home. As soon as I can get out of work, I'll be at my bench!
Seems like sage advice from most of these shooters on here. It is much appreciated!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts