22-6mm Newbie Here - Advice Please

Yes sir. That is the plan. I figure on shooting the barrel out of my savage 22-250 eventually but it is cheaper and easier to replace. I'm going to be about there on my 257Wby soon I'm afraid and I did a bunch of load development with a 300RUM this last year, they are hunting guns only now, can't afford too many barrels!
UPS just dropped off my midway box at home. As soon as I can get out of work, I'll be at my bench!
Seems like sage advice from most of these shooters on here. It is much appreciated!

I have an old "hunting gun" that is almost shot out. It's a Browning .308, and it lives in my cousin's safe. I only use it when I go back east to hunt whitetails with my old chums, and it's bore looks like the dark side of the moon. It still shoots "minute of deer" groups, though. On average, I shoot about ten rounds through it every fall. At this rate, if it's going to be completely wasted in another couple hundred rounds, the five boxes I have of its preferred factory load are my "lifetime supply." I suppose that I could re-barrel the rifle, since the rest of the gun is just fine. But it still keeps knocking them down, even with a barrel that's mostly used up.

I have an old "hunting gun" that is almost shot out. It's a Browning .308, and it lives in my cousin's safe. I only use it when I go back east to hunt whitetails with my old chums, and it's bore looks like the dark side of the moon. It still shoots "minute of deer" groups, though. On average, I shoot about ten rounds through it every fall. At this rate, if it's going to be completely wasted in another couple hundred rounds, the five boxes I have of its preferred factory load are my "lifetime supply." I suppose that I could re-barrel the rifle, since the rest of the gun is just fine. But it still keeps knocking them down, even with a barrel that's mostly used up.

Yup, I have Grandpa's old Remington wood master in 270...it prints good 5" groups at 100, but one of the favorite rifles in my safe! It took a white tail doe just last fall.....

Yup, I have Grandpa's old Remington wood master in 270...it prints good 5" groups at 100, but one of the favorite rifles in my safe! It took a white tail doe just last fall.....

A rifle that shoots groups the size of a deer's heart ought to put a lot of deer in the back of the pick-up. My old rifle is good for groups around 3", and all this means is that I can shoot a little farther with the expectation of knocking one down. ( It used to shoot three shots that all touch each other at 100 yards, and I didn't kill any more deer with it when it still shot like that.) That is because most of the deer I've shot with the rifle have been pretty close, and in the neighborhood where I hunt with it you can't often see more than a hundred yards in the woods. That's about twice as far as I usually shoot them. I still like my tight-grouping rifles for shooting other animals at longer ranges, but in the brushy country where the whitetails live, having a rifle that points like a fine shotgun is far more important. That's probably how your Grampa's old Remington feels, isn't it ???

A rifle that shoots groups the size of a deer's heart ought to put a lot of deer in the back of the pick-up. My old rifle is good for groups around 3", and all this means is that I can shoot a little farther with the expectation of knocking one down. ( It used to shoot three shots that all touch each other at 100 yards, and I didn't kill any more deer with it when it still shot like that.) That is because most of the deer I've shot with the rifle have been pretty close, and in the neighborhood where I hunt with it you can't often see more than a hundred yards in the woods. That's about twice as far as I usually shoot them. I still like my tight-grouping rifles for shooting other animals at longer ranges, but in the brushy country where the whitetails live, having a rifle that points like a fine shotgun is far more important. That's probably how your Grampa's old Remington feels, isn't it ???

Exactly! First deer I ever shot was with a borrowed 30M1 carbine, next few all came from Grandpa's old .270. We bought him a Browning A-Bolt when I was about 18 and that old Remmy came under the Xmas tree that next year!
Now they both are back together and both still killing deer.

I am on the way to the range with some test rounds for this 22-6mm....wish me luck!

Exactly! First deer I ever shot was with a borrowed 30M1 carbine, next few all came from Grandpa's old .270. We bought him a Browning A-Bolt when I was about 18 and that old Remmy came under the Xmas tree that next year!
Now they both are back together and both still killing deer.

I am on the way to the range with some test rounds for this 22-6mm....wish me luck!

I'll bet that first deer you bagged with the 30 carbine was just as dead as the rest of them. Best of luck at the range - I hope it all comes together quickly for you. It's probably getting a little hot over there to be spending long days at the shooting bench.

I'll bet that first deer you bagged with the 30 carbine was just as dead as the rest of them. Best of luck at the range - I hope it all comes together quickly for you. It's probably getting a little hot over there to be spending long days at the shooting bench.

You know, none of them have ever said..."could you please shoot me with a nicer rifle?"

It was 104 on the dial today, summer has come to Texas. Too hot to work but just right for shooting :)

Had a super successful range day, I'll post results in a few

So, the Swift 75's shot so-so out of this 788. But I am impressed with these Noslers seem like the ticket. I would like to thank you guys very much for the RL22 heads up. I saved a lot of time, $$ and barrel wear. Hope I can repay the favor some day fellas.
I am going to see if I can get on a pig in the morning. I'll post results if I do.

This load seemed the best for me today and definitely MOA antelope. I didn't have batteries in my Chrony. I'll post FPS tomorrow.
IMG_2939.jpg

So, the Swift 75's shot so-so out of this 788. But I am impressed with these Noslers seem like the ticket. I would like to thank you guys very much for the RL22 heads up. I saved a lot of time, $$ and barrel wear. Hope I can repay the favor some day fellas.
I am going to see if I can get on a pig in the morning. I'll post results if I do.

This load seemed the best for me today and definitely MOA antelope. I didn't have batteries in my Chrony. I'll post FPS tomorrow. View attachment 137124

Is that the Partition ? If so, I think it's going to be pretty hard on a pig - even a big one. If you're cooking up your loads in 104 degree heat, they may behave differently when it's freezing outside. It sounds like that isn't going to happen any time soon in your part of Texas. Good luck with the hogs.

Is that the Partition ? If so, I think it's going to be pretty hard on a pig - even a big one. If you're cooking up your loads in 104 degree heat, they may behave differently when it's freezing outside. It sounds like that isn't going to happen any time soon in your part of Texas. Good luck with the hogs.

Yes those are the partitions.
I kept the rifle in the AC for 20-30 minutes between strings and ammo stayed in a cooler at about 55 degrees.

I think we got a total of about 8 days below freezing this last winter......

I blew a case in a 270 about 3-4 years ago, cooked up the load in fall, shot a hog in August....whole different experience. Got the hog, rifle was ok. But I was out 1 pair of white Hanes!

I will get up early and see about some feral control

Yes those are the partitions.
I kept the rifle in the AC for 20-30 minutes between strings and ammo stayed in a cooler at about 55 degrees.

I think we got a total of about 8 days below freezing this last winter......

I blew a case in a 270 about 3-4 years ago, cooked up the load in fall, shot a hog in August....whole different experience. Got the hog, rifle was ok. But I was out 1 pair of white Hanes!

I will get up early and see about some feral control

I've never used Partitions in .224 diameter, but I shot the 180-grain Partition in 30-06 for years. A MOST EXCELLENT BULLET. I shot a bunch of animals with I, and it worked great every time. It was the Federal Premium "High Energy" load, and I wish that I had bought a case of the stuff. They don't make it anymore, but it was really good stuff. Advertised velocity was 2880 fps, and that is exactly what I got in my rifle. It also shot tiny little groups, which guys used to say was not typical with Partitions. I have to disagree - any that I have loaded shot plenty well for my purposes. I never got velocities like that with my handloads, but the accuracy level with that bullet is always good.

I've never used Partitions in .224 diameter, but I shot the 180-grain Partition in 30-06 for years. A MOST EXCELLENT BULLET. I shot a bunch of animals with I, and it worked great every time. It was the Federal Premium "High Energy" load, and I wish that I had bought a case of the stuff. They don't make it anymore, but it was really good stuff. Advertised velocity was 2880 fps, and that is exactly what I got in my rifle. It also shot tiny little groups, which guys used to say was not typical with Partitions. I have to disagree - any that I have loaded shot plenty well for my purposes. I never got velocities like that with my handloads, but the accuracy level with that bullet is always good.

I run the 180's in my 300RUM a most excellent bullet for hunting purposes for sure. I've been thinking about dusting off the '06 and using it this year for deer. It's been a while. Got a pig this morning with the 22-6mm and the 69gr partition load, posting results.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.