6mm options

stifle

I just purchased a new 6mm barrel from lilja 1 in 8 twist 29 in. I have a rem 700 short action that was previously chambered in .243 win. I am planning on chambering in .243 ackley unless any of you have a better (hotter) caliber that would fit into my short action. Please open my eyes.
stifle

6mmBR is popular with long range groundhog match shooters out to 1,000.

if your gunsmith has a reamer a 6mm- 284 would give you more powder capacity. if that is what you are looking for.

I really like the 6BR I have in a slow twist barrel and recently purchased a fast twist 6mm barrel and am seriously considering chambering that in a 6mm Dasher. Hope to get 150 fps more than if I chambered to the BR. Same brass with just some easy fireforming to do. Good barrel life. Will decide in the next two weeks but leaning heavy to the Dasher at this point. I would have considered the Ackley however I plan on spending alot of time in the PD towns with it as well as some paper punching for 600 yd league so barrel life is a concern of mine on this project. I think the Ackley would make a great choice in a coyote setup.
1kstr

With a rem. short action you are kinda limited. The biggest you could proly go with is 243ai. That is if your gonna use the factory box mag. For a single shot you could proly go all the way up to 6x284. The only reason i say this is so you can have plenty of room to seat ur bullet out to the lands and it still feed right. The dasher to me is more appealing than the br, but i like the extra umph the 243ai packs. I've heard people push the 243ai to velocites over 3500fps with bullets up to 87gr. To me that is fast enough. your gonna burn alot of powder to acheive faster velocities outta other calibers. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Am about to take delivery of my second .243 AI . Will be a 27 inch , 3 groove , 9 inch twist Lilja on a Stiller Predator action .
I couldn't get anywhere near 3500 FPS with 87gn V Max in my last rifle . 3350 was more like it with H4350 , H4831SC or Reloder 22 .
Could have chosen a different 6mm this time around as it is a new action . .243 AI works well though and has the legs for 1000 yards .

Stifle, if your going to build a single shot, go with the 6x284. My last 6x284 pushed the 87grn V-Max at 3730 fps out of a 30" pipe. I would think your 29" will do the same. The 6x284 will shoot all bullets much faster than the 243, 243AI, 6MM, and 6MM AI. If you want speed and accuracy, go with the 6x284 it's a great combo for varminting. If you want the most accurate 6mm, go wih the 6BR. Have fun with your project.

my 243 ackley will pop 107 gr sierras at 3230 fps. I have shot some 80 Nosler Ballistic tips as a fireforming load and had them going 3300, this was w/ reg 243 win brass, so I'm sure I could get to at least 3400 if not 3500.

Hope this makes your decision a little tougher. LOL...

6mm chambergin

I agree with Wildcat. I had a 27 inch Shilen that shot 87 grain V-Maxes at 3600 FPS very accurately, as in 1.3 inch groups at 540 Yards. The drawback is singular, 1,000 rounds of barrel life.

I couldn't get anywhere near 3500 FPS with 87gn V Max in my last rifle . 3350 was more like it with H4350 , H4831SC or Reloder 22 .
quote]

What length barrel did you have? Just curious cuz I am planning to build mine with a 24", but havn't done anything yet still tring to get figure out what i want.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.