6mm For Whitetails? What d'ya Think?

iSnipe

Many years ago a neighbor used a 6mm Rem for deer hunting. I just didn't know what to say. Matter o' fact, back then I didn't know what the heck a 6mm was. LOL!

My brief studies of it show it similar to a .243 but with slightly more power and fps, but not by much at all. It recoils slightly more; most likely not enough to even feel the difference by most people.

For whitetails, how far do you think this caliber is good for? 400 yards? 500 yards? I look for broadside shots usually low in the heart/lung area.

What bullet do you recommend I use?

How about the weight of the bullet?

One other question: What 6mm are people referring to when it comes to target match shooting?

Thanks,

iSnipe
icon7.gif

I had a 6mm Remington and shot a few Blacktails out here with it.
It was very accurate and I shot 95 gr ballistic tips out of it. It did a good job on deer. My farthest deer was around 350 yards and it smoked him.
It was a great rifle and didn't wreck much meat.

I've dropped a few nice mulies with a model 788 Rem in 6mm. 90 grain corelockt was my factory load of choice IIRC.
It did a respectable job, but most of that was due to it's accuracy.
I would think you'd be fine out to 400 or so on a mid size white tail.

If you know where you're hitting, a 95gr NBT should do the job!

My experience with the 6mm's is somewhat limited so take any statements here with a grain of salt.

I have harvested a few deer with the 243 win. The 6mm remmy as you stated is a tad more potent so that is a plus. My overall impressions are that (like with any caliber) with the right bullet and placement it would be a suitable 400-600 WT rifle. 600 may be stretching it a wee bit especially due to the strong will for a WT to survive but with proper weight, construction and expansion properties it would get the job done despite not being optimum. There was guy that use to hang out here that claimed to take antelope out to 900+ yards regularly with a 6mm AI or 243 AI. I dont know if he really did or if it was embelished a bit but suppose it is do-able.

Killed my first deer with a Hornady 100 gr BTSP from a 6 mm Rem. Out of an sporter weight rifle, I would say that it would kill whitetails as far away as you could accurately place your first shot. Next time I hunt with mine, I will probably go with Nosler Partitions. One of my good friends killed a big farm country doe with a 243 and the same Hornady 100 gr that I used. He shot her facing almost square on right in the brisket. The bullet blew up and only fragments of bullet and bone penetrated the rib cage. Definitely killed her but I would want a tougher bullet next time. Maybe even a Barnes TSX. BT's would work fine behind the shoulder, though.

My biggest whitetail to date was with a .243 from just shy of 200 yards. The corelokt bullet went in just behind the shoulder (deer angling away) traversed through the chest cavity into the neck and exited about halfway up the neck.

My experience with the 6mm is very little, but from what I see from running some data on it, I would say 400-500 depending on load, bullet, etc. for deer.

I know it would be good to 550ish still retaining 1300 ft lbs of energy. I shoot a 243 AI a good deal and would figure the 6mm would be very close. My longest kill on a whitetail with the 6mm was 588 shooting 115s. Any perceived lack of pop is made up for by my confidence in its accuracy.

I'm going back to my Mod 7 Rem in a 243. I have loaded up some 95grn SST's that will knock'em down out to 450yrds easy. I currently have a load shooting at 2850fps using 37.5grns 4064. It's a hot load so you will have to work up to it. It works well in my rifle.

Tank

My neighbor built a 6mm06..this rifle went every place out west, he never shot a bear or Elk
but it was death on Deer and antelope. anything out to 500yards had no chance.

What's a guy to do when he wants to buy about 5 more rifles this year, but realistically should only get 2 more? LOL! That's where I'm at now. :D

IMO, ie, in my opinion, it's a very good deer caliber; just unsure how far I should push it. ??

While I'm going to get a Remington .22, I'm not counting that as one of my rifles this year. LOL! I think I may go with another .308 as I sold my M77 years ago. Now that I've been familiarized with the Rem. 700, I can't see myself using anything else at the moment.

I thought it(6mm) an interesting question to ask because I don't see it talked much about here. I can understand why as it's a smaller caliber; nothing really to be used under long distance ranges...500+ yards. That's why I have my Rem. 700 .270.

Most likely I'll get a 6mm. We'll see. Thanks for the replies and opinions.

iSnipe

I have a good friend who only uses a 6mm-284. Im actually going to Co. this year with him. He has killed 21 bull elk since 1978 with this caliber using a 100 gr. bullet. He is a very top notch off hand shooter. His theroy which i have believed in high vel and a bullet that blows up inside. He doesent want an exit ;et the bullet do the job. He has taken elk out to 750 yards and several 700 yard kills. His opinion on 7mm's and 30's are some of the crippling guns he has seen. For deer he uses an 85 grain.
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.