what do u think ?

+2 to mudrunner 300 rum good but to much for the little Gane and I like the 7rm.
I'm still trying to deside on the barrel for my stainless 700 and good smith's u guys can recommend on the east cost was thinking about a rem/age barrel what's the thought about them

Look into Bartlein, Brux, Lilja, Benchmark, Krieger, or any of the well-known brands, and you should be happy. As for the barrel nut design, I'm not really a big fan...Some folks really like it, but I don't. I prefer to use the original 700 design.

I've never shipped a rifle out to have one smithed before, but I have heard that Kevin Cram @ Montour County Rifles does very good work.

Caliber doesn't make any difference as to whether the barrel's throats are properly cut. A faulty/dull reamer can cause an improperly cut throat, and that can happen to any rifle in any caliber. Especially a rifle that was factory chambered in mass quantities (regardless of brand).

As for "properly finished", I am not aware of any factory rifle barrel that will have a polished throat when it leaves the factory, unless it is a custom shop rifle and the barrel was hand-lapped. That's what breaking in a barrel, and/or hand-lapping a barrel does, it polishes and smooths out the imperfections from the machining processes to drill and rifle the bore. That dealer obviously has no idea what he's talking about.

And as many rifles as Remington produces, if one run of rifles in a particular caliber DID have a bad throat in it, that reamer that was used to cut those chambers is most likely LONG gone by now.

As for the action screws, I use factory Remington action screws, and have had zero problems.

As for the caliber, that "nice dealer" sounds like a supporter, and just wanted to sell you a bigger caliber to sell you more expensive ammo, and more powder (RUM's use ALOT more powder than a 7mmRM), etc... Not to mention all that smoke he was blowing was most-likely just to get you to buy his favorite caliber.

Just sharing what I heard, he told me his action screws broke when he looked at the bedding. And I have also read other people on this forum having issues with their 700 lr's in 7mm as well as elsewhere on other forums. Could easily be fixed much like you stated but doesn't mean that all of them have sold.. As for the guy being a fan boy of the 300 RUM, he might be, but I would have to say that I kind of am myself as I have shot both the 7mm and a 300 RUM.. definitely wouldn't be buying factory ammo for either of them. Definitely more horsepower in the 300 RUM. Not saying the 7mm is a bad caliber as I will more than likely own one someday.

Just sharing what I heard, he told me his action screws broke when he looked at the bedding. And I have also read other people on this forum having issues with their 700 lr's in 7mm as well as elsewhere on other forums. Could easily be fixed much like you stated but doesn't mean that all of them have sold.. As for the guy being a fan boy of the 300 RUM, he might be, but I would have to say that I kind of am myself as I have shot both the 7mm and a 300 RUM.. definitely wouldn't be buying factory ammo for either of them. Definitely more horsepower in the 300 RUM. Not saying the 7mm is a bad caliber as I will more than likely own one someday.

I'm glad you did not take the tone in my post as negative or condescending...As it was not intended to be that way. I was just simply stating what I know about that situation and what would most likely be the root-cause of the issues he mentioned.

All but 2 of my 700's are Devcon bedded, and the factory action screws torqued to 65 inch-pounds. You don't need anymore pressure than that to a 700 action in a pillar bedded or aluminum bedded stock. My 700's with wooden stocks that have been glass-bedded I use 45 inch-pounds. Not a single action screw has broken.

My guess as to his action screw issues, is that he is either not using a torque wrench, or if he is, he is torquing WAY beyond recommended torque specs.

that is ver possible, he seemed knowledgeable about what he was talking about and actually talked me out of a new sendaro sf ii. Some things like the stock forensa and Palm swell just wherent what I was looking for. But he could have over tightened them or just got the lemon action screws. I assumed that would be a non issue for most people but figured I should mention it since I had heard it

that is ver possible, he seemed knowledgeable about what he was talking about and actually talked me out of a new sendaro sf ii. Some things like the stock forensa and Palm swell just wherent what I was looking for. But he could have over tightened them or just got the lemon action screws. I assumed that would be a non issue for most people but figured I should mention it since I had heard it

I would have opted for the Sendero (i like stainless/jeweled 700's), then sold/swapped the stock on here. Those factory Sendero HS Precision stocks sell on here quick, and bring a premium price along with them, especially new take-off stocks.

Also, from what I have been told, you can send that stock back to HS Precision, and they can re-shape the palmswells, or remove them and refinish the stock, but I don't know if they charge for that, or how much it costs or how long it takes... No personal experience, just heard that from several people, so that's something you could always check into in the future, incase you were interested in getting a new Sendero SFII. I don't like the palmswells either, so all of my Senderos have the older HS stocks with no palmswells.

although I don't have the particular rifle that interests you, I have and have had plenty of Rem700s. All of them have performed well right out of the box. Regardless of their performance, I've torn all the factory barrels off of them and used the actions for custom builds. That's one of the beauties of Rem700s though. They are highly customizable and everyone works on them and make aftermarket parts for them.

I agree with this guy. That is the reason I sold my Steyr- not able to get any after market parts for it.
If you change the trigger go with a Timney. The product is great and so is the customer service. I found them to be considerably less than a jewel too....
Good luck....

What u guys think is a good scope of under 1000 buck I was looking at the vortex lr in the hire power or a pst

The Vortex Viper HS LR is a good one, they're $899.

Vortex 6-24x50 Viper HS 30mm Rifle Scope | SWFA

I have read numerous times that this scope is one of the best you can buy (even compared to premium German optics), especially for the money...

SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope | SWFA

For under $1000, I have been told this is an excellent option...

SWFA SS 3-15x42 Tactical Rifle Scope | SWFA

I have one of these on my 700 5R Milspec .300 WinMag (target rifle only), and these are awesome scopes for $299... If this scope is what you are looking for, and you plan to use the rifle for LR hunting & shooting, I'd probably go with a fixed 10x or 12x with the Mil-Quad reticle.

SWFA SS 20x42 Tactical Riflescope | SWFA

I have to look at them what's the story on the swfa scopes where they are made and warranty ? Thanks for the info guys

Best commentary I have seen on the SWFA scopes:

The Vortex are a very good choice too. They have the forever transferable warranty that is hard to beat. Also, a big plus, is that if the version of Vortex scope you choose doesn't meet your needs. They are very easy to sell so you can get the one you want. Just take a look at how many Vortex PST and scopes are listed and sold in the classified section of this site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.