6mm BRX the ultimate 'yote round?

Cutty

6mm BRX the ultimate \'yote round?

I'm about to built a 6mm "light varmint" (under 10 pounds) rifle, primarily to hunt 'yotes in MT and WY, but also to practice reloading and learn some basic gunsmithing. Any suggestions for 6mm calibers? Also, my budget will be about 1000 dollars without a scope (give or take a couple hundred) so what do you guys think about using a Hoya or CZ action? I won't need .20 MOA accuracy or anything, but I'd like less than .5.

Thanks. Love the forum.

Re: 6mm BRX the ultimate \'yote round?

6mm BR would be my first choise under 600 yards. The 243 AI or 6/284 for longer shots. I would use a Rem action.
Crow Mag

I don't have any experiance with the CZ actions but I do have a rifle built on a Weatherby Vanguard which is a Howa action , the action is very strong and a good smith blue printed it and instaled the barrel , it is chambered for 6mm-06 Ai , with a 1-8 twist 26" Hart tube it pushes the 105gr A-max out at just over 3400 fps with devistating results out to 700yds.
If I were gonna do it again I'd build another 243Ai with a 26 barrel , would probably get close to the same velocity and longer barrel life

I am currently shooting a Win. action with a VERY light barrel chambered to 6mm-284. So for I have not found any faults with this round. If I do my part coyotes and deer are in serioud trouble out to about 700 or so. I am not often impressed with a rifle or new round but this is one rig I will never part with.

That said I let a 6br get away from me a few years back that was without a doubt the most accurate rifle I ever owned. We shot 75 gr noslers at 3500 fps and it also was hell on the song dogs! Both are great rds. Whichever you choose have some fun

I'm anxious to get out since the weather has been so warm. Just going to take my 7mm Rem Mag and load it with 110 speer hollow points at just under 3500. Do you think I'll get an exit hole over 300 yards? I'm thinking that the HP won't hold together, but I know it doesn't take much to go through a song dog. Any suggestions for cheap 7mm bullets that will go right through. Don't want to waste Match boattails.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.