6mm AR turbo 40

rcoody

Well my Robert Whitley 6mm turbo is on the UPS truck for delivery. Been waiting for this day for some time.

Rain all weekend so I will be necking down a couple of 100 rounds of lapua 6.5 grendal brass to 6mm and loading up a bunch of berger 105's.

Hope it stops sunday at least long enough to shoot it.

Congrats! So how long was the actual wait to get it then?

they put in in in the line 7/22/15. Not bad really.

a lot less time than Krieger or Bartlein took on my bolt guns. You are looking at a year there. I am still waiting on a Krieger.

They have their system dialed. You have to fire form the brass. You have to neck down 6.5 Grendel brass. they send you 3 cases fired in your gun and tell you to set up you sizing die for a .003 to .005 shoulder bump. Then to produce the false shoulder you are fire forming they have a shim like a washer and you unscrew your adjusted die a put the washer under it, screw it back in and size your new cases. this forms a false shoulder that looks like a donut from a bushing neck die.

pretty much all your load development is already done. He tells you the powders to use and the loads that work. From what I have learned from others with the upper he is spot on. They say the fireform loads are about as accurate as the finished round. Sure do wish the rain would quit where I can get to the range.

I sized and loaded a 100 this morning ready for fireforming. No different than just regular reloading. here is a pic of the round ready to fireform. if you look just above the shoulder you can see the donut that will create the new shoulder.

Attachments

• 20151003_144000_resized.jpg
    20151003_144000_resized.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 187
  • 20151003_181637_resized.jpg
    20151003_181637_resized.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 264
I think you will like this upper. I ve had one for over a year now and am very pleased. Mine has 25 inch Kreiger. Shoots very well. Only problem was with magazines not feeding properly. Bought 2 new mags and all has been well ever since

You will love the performance from this little efficient round. The accuracy on all my Whitley uppers is superb!

+1. Just won my 4th 300 yard egg shoot competing agains bolt rifles a few weeks ago. I shoot the 6mmAR version, and at almost 1000 rounds through it I'm still on my first 100 Lapua cases at 10x reloads. Not a single failure to feed. I clean every 100-200 rounds.

+1. Just won my 4th 300 yard egg shoot competing agains bolt rifles a few weeks ago. I shoot the 6mmAR version, and at almost 1000 rounds through it I'm still on my first 100 Lapua cases at 10x reloads. Not a single failure to feed. I clean every 100-200 rounds.

I hope this one is as good.

do you load the 105 vld's jammed for you accurate loads or are you loading mag length.

I hope this one is as good.

do you load the 105 vld's jammed for you accurate loads or are you loading mag length.

I load just shy of mag length. Interestingly, I get comparable accuracy(.25MOA or better)with 105 Berger VLD's, 107 SMK's, and Lapua 105 Scenars. I use the same seating dye position for all three bullets. The lapua and SMK is within .001" seating to ogive and dimentionally the same. The Berger is .010" longer and it ends up being .010" off the lands while the other two are .020" off the lands. I would give the accuracy edge to the Lapua and SMK's. I use the SMK's mostly because of availability, price, and 500ct packaging. My go to load for competition is 28.2gr of R15, BR4's for 2750FPS. ES 10FPS. I could beef the velicity up 50FPS with another half grain but it does so well, I'll take the lower stress on the brass.

I load just shy of mag length. Interestingly, I get comparable accuracy(.25MOA or better)with 105 Berger VLD's, 107 SMK's, and Lapua 105 Scenars. I use the same seating dye position for all three bullets. The lapua and SMK is within .001" seating to ogive and dimentionally the same. The Berger is .010" longer and it ends up being .010" off the lands while the other two are .020" off the lands. I would give the accuracy edge to the Lapua and SMK's. I use the SMK's mostly because of availability, price, and 500ct packaging. My go to load for competition is 28.2gr of R15, BR4's for 2750FPS. ES 10FPS. I could beef the velicity up 50FPS with another half grain but it does so well, I'll take the lower stress on the brass.

I am with you. I am not one of those seeking out max loads. I am looking for the accurate loads. Now I will do some 105 vld jammed max loads for our local 1000 yrd range but for every day shooting and shorter ranges it seems the more accurate loads are not close to max.

Match Kings are much easier to get to shoot than the Bergers. The new Berger Hybrid is like the MK. Seating depth is not so critical. I have thrown up my hands on several guns trying to get the VLD's to shoot consistently.

I really like RL15. It has been accurate in several of my other guns. Right now I am following directions. 27grs. 4895 for fire forming. Thanks for that load I am putting it in my logbook to try. Of course I will start low and work up to it.

Have you heard of the bob sled. It makes single loading so much easier.

hope one day soon I can say I shot a quarter inch group with an AR. Up till now that has been an unattainable goal.

I am with you. I am not one of those seeking out max loads. I am looking for the accurate loads. Now I will do some 105 vld jammed max loads for our local 1000 yrd range but for every day shooting and shorter ranges it seems the more accurate loads are not close to max.

Match Kings are much easier to get to shoot than the Bergers. The new Berger Hybrid is like the MK. Seating depth is not so critical. I have thrown up my hands on several guns trying to get the VLD's to shoot consistently.

I really like RL15. It has been accurate in several of my other guns. Right now I am following directions. 27grs. 4895 for fire forming. Thanks for that load I am putting it in my logbook to try. Of course I will start low and work up to it.

Have you heard of the bob sled. It makes single loading so much easier.

hope one day soon I can say I shot a quarter inch group with an AR. Up till now that

has been an unattainable goal.

I have not heard of or used the Bob Sled, but I will check it out.. ..

Interestingly I have found that shooting tight groups with my Whitely, as well as my other target grade AR's is that my shooting form is very different from my bolt rifles. To shoot high precision groups I exert very little if any cheek pressure, or do I pull the butt stock into my shoulder. Very mild hold, and support the pistol grip with my off hand. I like the Hyoerfire trigger with the 2.5#springs and for bag shooting, I use the screw on bag riders for the forearm and standar AR butt stock that Richard Whitely supplies for AR's.

I have not heard of or used the Bob Sled, but I will check it out.. ..

Interestingly I have found that shooting tight groups with my Whitely, as well as my other target grade AR's is that my shooting form is very different from my bolt rifles. To shoot high precision groups I exert very little if any cheek pressure, or do I pull the butt stock into my shoulder. Very mild hold, and support the pistol grip with my off hand. I like the Hyoerfire trigger with the 2.5#springs and for bag shooting, I use the screw on bag riders for the forearm and standar AR butt stock that Richard Whitely supplies for AR's.

yep

I found out about how much any pressure you put on these ar's changes groups.

J have the bag rider installed.

I am in the process of building a dedicated lower for this upper. Magpul PRS stock and a High Speed national match trigger. Cheek weld is a problem with these guns compared to a bolt gun. straight stock with a high scope compared to the roughly 1 1/2" drop with the bolt gun. I find AR's awkward. I was torn between the PRS and a straight stock. We will see.

Well it is blowing like stink and wet as hell but the range opens at one and I am going. Got to get through the barrel breakin and fireforming. Wish me luck. I will post a report.

Range Report

Mu God! this thing shoots like a bolt gun not an AR. Functioned perfectly. I am impressed. Should have done this a long time ago instead of trying to get my home made precision AR to shoot.

I loaded up 50 100 gr berger boattail targets and 50 108 gr berger targets. Loaded mag length really just for fireforming.

Did the old Kraiger barrel breakin. 1 shot and clean for 5 shots. patches were hardly dirty. Then a 5 shot group and clean. Still very little fouling. Then 25 and clean. This time wet patch, brush and let it soak. I use boretech eliminator. It has a copper solvent. No blue on the patches after soak.

Sight in with the 100 gr. First shot 4" left and 2 inch high. Dialed in the correction and the next shot was bullseye. Put the other three in a one hole group. I shot more one hole groups today then I have the entire time I have had my other AR.Should have took some pics but just didn't think about it. I know it is going to get even better.

the 108's weren't as good.

Did have some equipment issues. Nothing to do with the gun. I need a wider bag for my front rest that will fit the bag rider. It was binding up sometimes. My present stock does not work well with a rear bag. I think the PRS will correct that. When the gun rested on the bags and allowed to free recoil it shot the best but with these issues that was hit or miss. Just getting dialed in. Was pleasantly surprised that my brass catcher worked great even with the side charger. I like the side charger but there is one thing about it you have to remember. I took my entire cleaning kit out there. Went to pull the bolt carrier. OOOPS!! had to search through my truck and luckily had a set of allen wrenches.

Spent about 4 hrs out there. I was lucky the weather got better. I was the only one there. Shot my deer rifle while I was letting the turbo rest. Have berger hybrid hunting and hunting vld's loaded up. Want to make sure I am sighted in for that cold bore shot. Both bullets shoot to the same POI at 100 yrs. wish we had a 300 to 500 yrd range. I am a member of a 1000 yrd range but that is all they shoot.

Anyway I am stoked! I have a bunch of fire formed cases. Reminds me. As much research as I did prior to this purchase one thing slipped right by me. That Grendel brass has a small flash hole. My habit is I have a Partner press with a lee universal decapper on my picnic table in the yard. When I come in from the range I decap all the brass before even coming in the house and then dump them in the ultrasonic. Got to get a small pin die.

Now the real work begins. Load development. Got a bunch of berger 105 vld's, berger 105 hybrids, 105 Amax and tomorrow I will get the SMK's and Lapua scenar.

I have plenty of RL15, h4895, N140, CFE223 and 8208 XBR
got varget too but they say not to use it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts