6mm 115 grn vld

chickenman

Thinking about building a 6mm 284 to shoot the 115 vlds,do any of you have any experience shooting this combo,and what kind of speed can I get.

Hi use the 115gr DTAC's but do not even try the 115gr Bergers they will blow up every time at those velocities. The 115gr DTAC's will stabalise fine in a 1 in 8 twist barrel.

Cheers Bill
Australia

[ QUOTE ]
Thinking about building a 6mm 284 to shoot the 115 vlds,do any of you have any experience shooting this combo,and what kind of speed can I get.

[/ QUOTE ]
hogslayer,
to me you have a recipe for disaster with this combo.
the 115dtac was designed by david tubbs for use in his over the course guns using 6xc and similar cartridges that have far less powder capacity than a 6-284.
a 6-284 is an amesome cartridge but is tempermental enough with 105-107gr bullet's.
do your self a favor if you want to use this high of a B.C. of bullet and use a smaller case or step up to a 6.5-284.
dont under any circumstances get suckered into a 3 groove, I could never say anything bad about a krieger 4 groove or a 5 groove "r" or "C" rifling. IMHO the 115grdtac is not intended for a 6-284.
UB

screech,
it stands for David Tubbs Across the Course. when he shoot's in long range competitions. he is sponsored by Sierra and they make a bullet to his specs the 115gr DTAC.
UB

[ QUOTE ]
screech,
it stands for David Tubbs Across the Course. when he shoot's in long range competitions. he is sponsored by Sierra and they make a bullet to his specs the 115gr DTAC.
UB

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi sorry DTAC actualy stands for David Tubb Advanced Concepts i have the shiny piece of paper fron Superior shooting systems and that is what the advert says so i will believe it.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Oops I meant to say mine is a 6-284 1-8 5C Broughton barrel and all I have ever shot in it is the 115 D-Tacs. It has worked great on a deer @ 353 yards and it has also nailed a PD @ 1590, but the MV's are lower as it is in a Rem XP-100 specialty handgun.

In all the 6-284s I have built I have learned a few things. First off, if you want a fast twist 6-284 you will need to build the rifle very specifically to get it to perform well.

First off, conventional wisdom will tell you you need a 1-8 twist for the heavy bullets. That may well be for the velocities that all these types of bullets were designed to be used at, that being 2600-2800 fps for the most part, especially the Berger J-4 based bullets.

What I have found however is that with the 6-284 you actually have more gun them most of these bullets can handle in a traditional wisdom 1-8 twist. Some will work, some will tear bullets apart.

For the 105-107 gr bullets, I have long ago learned that the best twist range is a 1-9 and even more importantly for getting max velocity especially with the 105 gr Berger and Hornady A-Max is to use a rifling design with as thin a land as possible. 6 groove Liljas work great in my experience and that is what I use.

A 3 groove Lilja on the other hand will be very hard on thes two 105 gr pills because the lands are so wide in these barrels. Great for long barrel life, very bad for high velocity, heavy for caliber bullets in fast twist barrels.

For example. In a 30" Lilja 1-8 3 groove, you can get around 3250 fps with the 105 gr Hornady A-Max or Berger and thats about it before accuracy really drops off and in many cases you have complete bullet failure.

The 107 gr SMK on the other hand can be drive to much higher velocities because of its thicker jacket. I have driven them to +3550 fps in a 1-8 3 groove Lilja with fine accuracy. This is a hotter load then you should be using, I was just attempting to make this bullet fail in the 1-8 3 groove barrel.

Switching to a 1-9, 6 groove barrel, the 105 gr Hornady A-Max and Berger can easily be driven to 3450 fps which in my opinion is about the max the 6-284 should be loaded to in a 30" barrel.

With the 115 gr pills, I would stress that you will need a rifling design that is very gentle to the bullet. The thinner the land and shallower the groove the better to a point anyway.

I would go with the Sierra(D-Tac) 115 over the Berger.

Problem is that the 6-284 is simply more round then the current batch of bullets are designed for. When you take a bullet designed for the 6mm BR class of velocity and drive it out of a much larger 6-284, special considerations need to be taken to get the rifle to shoot well.

If you want to load to fullpressure loads, I personally would recommend building the rifle to shoot the 107 gr SMK and if you want more BC, jump up to a larger caliber that will be more user friendly as far as consistancy is concerned.

Just my opinion,

Kirby Allen(50)

308 Nate was using 47 grains fo RL22 to get 3175 fps with the DTAC.

I am running much more weight than that of RL 22 behind the 115 Berger in a 240Wby which has the same case capacity as the 6-284 and 6-06. A lot depends upon the chamber and what the smith has done to your action. Some of it depends upon whether you are sane or just a little goofy like me.

It is my understanding that the DTAC is in fact built on the same J4 jacket as the Berger but has a little different profile (according to my crude measuring techniques).

My chamber is minimum SAAMI with no freebore but a 30 inch barrel and the bullet is jammed hard. Barrel is 1-8 twist. I have no chronograph so I just make up what ever lie I want to about the velocities I achieve. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The gun has been shot in at 1k several times and the drops are always the same so I am happy that it is pretty fast.

If you wait until your antelope is standing in front of a big flat rock outcrop the 115 Berger will actually blowup nicely on the rocks after punching a big hole out the far side of the antelope at obscenely long range. Usually I have a hard time getting the Berger to blowup because of the trouble in manuvering the antelope into a positon in front of a rock.

I guess I must be lucky with the combo I have. I have never dusted a Berger bullet yet and have shot the 95vld up to 3600fps. Right now I am using the 105 Berger with a 6 groove Hart 9 Twist. I am shooting the 105 Berger at 3340fps with 52gr of R-22. Accuracy I can shoot 3 shot groups and almost cover them with a quarter at 600 yards off the bipod. Infact I have yet to see a 6-284 not shoot 1/2 moa or less with a 6 groove barrel. Kirby is right about acouple of things. First you do not need a 8 twist a 9 twist will handle even the 115gr. Make sure you get a 6 groove 9 twist and you will be fine. The 105 A-max will dust on you after 3200fps. I would look at the 95 Berger VLD, 105 Berger VLD really seems to shoot or the 107 SMK. If you are going to use it on game I would look at Bergers as the SMK seems to be a really hard bullet.

[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to use it on game I would look at Bergers as the SMK seems to be a really hard bullet.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 107's i shoot out of my 6-284 didnt seem to be all that hard. Most would just blow up inside the chest cavity like the bergers did. I was pushing them to 3500, but then slowed them back down to 3320 with the same on game results. these were deer and hogs to 250lbs the longest was 550 yards.

d-a

I shot 3 whitetail does between 600 and 1000 yds. with a 107 SMK starting at 3150 fps. All were 6 mm holes in and out. I had good shots (luckily) and recovered the deer but wouldn't use this bullet again at these ranges. A friend of mine shot two does at 300 and 350 yds with my rifle and had the bullets blow up in the chest cavity with a bang flop on both.
Lance

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.