6BR Varmint Rifle, Bullet Choice Opinions

TheReeper

Hello all, I just had a new custom 6BR built for varmint hunting out to 600 yards. I went with a 1-8 twist barrel, and I am wondering what bullet you guys would recommend for varmint killing. I have heard the 105grn A-Max is probably my best bet for both BC and expansion. What about the 95grn or 105grn VLD Berger? how would they work for varmints. I would like to get your opinions on what bullet you guys think would work best. In the past I have used all varmint type bullets V-Max, Ballistic Tips and Blitz Kings, shot at high velocity. But after one of my hunting buddies had a 223 built to shoot the 75grn A-max and 80grn MK, I knew I needed to build something to shoot the high BC bullets too. The .22 cal, 75grn A-Max does a real good job on blowing up squirrels and Pdogs. Will the 105grn A-Max do the same, shot out of a 6BR, at let say around 2850fps? My barrel is a 1-8 twist, 28" Bartlein and it was throated to shoot the longer bullets. Any help or thoughts would be great.

Thanks

Isn't there anyone out there using a 6BR with knowledge regarding the bullets in question. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

TheReeper

Shoot the one that is the most accurate. The 105 Bergers will work fine, I built mine to use the 105 and it worked fine. I took several G-Hogs over 500 yards. I never got the 105 to fully settle in. I switched to 107 SMK's and never looked back. The longest I went was 726 on a G-Hog. I've also killed a bunch of deer with this combo. I took my buck the last day of the season at 500 yards he went about 30-40 yards. I'ts no laser but you get some decent kills, once in a while it will launch a g hog:)

If the 87 or 95 are accurate I would 2nd that for what you want it to do.

I like the 107 for its accuracy and performance on deer also.

If it is anything like the 6X47lapua 115 dtacs work well. Not sure I have never had a br before.

Brent

If you shoot a 6BR and want to shoot 115s, you'll need at least a 1:7 twist, you could get away with a 1:7.5 twist.

Each gun is going to be unique and maybe 107s will work, or 105 Amax, or even 105 VLDs will work. Some 6BRs can shoot 87 and on up grains and some don't like anything under 105 g. You'll just have to experiment to find out.

If it is like the 6X47lapua which I have a 1:8 twist in my repeater and a 1:7.75 in my competition rifle. The 115's work awesome at 3050fps.

why does it stablize in the lapua so well and not in the br? Just curious

Brent

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts