Best choice for .223 varmint bullet/load

Once this elk season is over i'll be looking into working a load for my .223 i want it to be a shoot for fun gun also varmints and stuff. Id like a well priced bullet bit also accurate and gets the job done? Seriously looking into the berger. But im curious about the a-max, does anyone shoot this bullet for varmints? I know its not a "hunting" bullet but im curious how it performs on impact?
I've shot the v-max for a while out of the 223 and really wouldn't mind staying with that either. Just curious what everyone else is using these days?

There are many ways to look at your question.. But all in all I'd say, if you looking at a walking yote rifle, in the 22" to 24" barrel range, in .223 Rem. You might consider; Sierra 60gr HP Varminter bullet, I believe the code #1375 It's a flat base bullet design after their match and bench rest bullet design, only for varmint application. I've shot them for years in my bolt rifle .223; there super accurate and hammer yote's way the hell out there.
As for the load, well I think you'll need to name the rifle first.
Good luck.

I have a slightly different perspective. When I went to Wyoming for a PD shoot we went thru 250 to 300 rds per day.
95% of the shots were less than 200 yds.
On top of this there was the constant wind and the need to hold into the wind for each shot if the range was beyond 150 yds.
Because of this, a basic 10 shot 3/4 moa load was more than sufficient.
With that in mind, and since I was loading for two shooters for a 3 day shoot, I loaded up 1,800 rds.
I used Surplus 5.56 LC brass, Remington 52gr HP bullets, Benchmark Powder, and Remington Benchrest Primers. The loads were economical and the performance on PD's was fantastic (2 ft of air no problem). :D
If you are looking for lower volume shooting scenarios then go with the high grade reloading components.
I have yet to try my PD load on a Coyote. I stopped and looked at Sierra 45 gr Blitz bullets today and thought very seriously about purchasing them.

I just got into the new Zombie bullets from Hornady. I think they are the same as the Vmax. Midsouth sells them for a darn good price, 58 bucks for 500.

They shoot exactly the same. I think it was a market ploy in an already saturated zone.

I use the 40 grain at higher velocities because I like explosive aerobatics.

My Savage (9 twist) likes the 50's so I will be carrying 2 different loads on the next trip. Varget, 2230, and N133 are fine choices.

My 10 and 12 twist guns love 4198, RX7, and 2200 for the 40's. Groups under a half inch are common. The Shilen barrel shoots in the 3's and the others less than a half. These are all at max or near max loading.

I love the 223's to the point of neglecting my other guns. Practically all the loads are full case capacity, and brass is plentiful.

Best choice: 40 grain Vmax, 24.5 of 2200, any primer.

HM

I use Nosler 55gr Varmaddon's pushed by 27grains of Varget. The average 5-shot group at 100 yards is .468 MOA. The rifle is an AR with 20" Yankee Hill barrel with 1 in 7 twist.

I use the 40 grain at higher velocities because I like explosive aerobatics.

Best choice: 40 grain Vmax, 24.5 of 2200, any primer.

HM

Is this with the original lots of 2200 powder or the new lot.....Does it matter?
Have been useing the original lot of 2200 with 55SPSX with great results but had trouble getting velocity with the 40s or groups with anything but a CCI 450 primer.
Have you put the 24.5 load of 2200 through cronagrph?

Back to the original post. The SPSX bullet has proven to be a great cheap bullet out to 300 yards for me over the years and even the cheap 55 grain SP from Midwy and Midsouth have been great killers even though they lack little in the acrobatics department. The 40 grain Vmax has proven to be a great performer for the videos with Tac,BM and H335 and Like 1/2mile said the new 40 grain Zombie bullets apear to be a Vmax with a puke green tip:D

I shoot the 40g nosler bt with 28 g of TAC the book says 3700fps and it shoots 1/4 out of my remmy. My Ar with 1in9 twist likes the 53 grain vmax. They have almost as high a bc as the 69 mk but more velocity

All 2200 is the same. use loads on reloaders nest or on the accurate site listed under "data powders".

You can push the accurate site loads some.

I had best results for SX bullets with 748, YMMV.

Story: One spring I decided to add a half grain to my 748/SX load for more velocity and better splat factor. They shot fine at the range.

Out on the dog town, I was having problems and asked Johhmny Boy to spot for me. He sez "your low, 15 ft ahead of that one". Next shot had 2 impacts, figured out the SX were fragging.

My shells were sitting in the sunlight on the truck bed and were warm whe I put them in the gun.

Put the rounds in the soda cooler an they shot fine.

Those were the days, 1K shots a day, nice big moist 200 yard dogs all over the place, SX bullets at 7 bucks a box........

HM

Tried Nosler 40gr BT Sierras 50gr Blitzking & Hornadys 53 V-Max. The Noslers 40 gr fast but not the accuracy I wanted the Sierra shot well with H 335 but not the speed I wanted but with VV-133 powder WW case & Hornadys 53 V-Max I was able to Duplicate Hornadys Superperformace load a guy on predator masters turned me on to this load. I am getting .77 inches groups at 200 yds. On prairie dogs worked great & I like the higher BC in the wind. Only bullet in .223 Rem for Me

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.