Favorite Varmint Bullet

budlight, you should put this is the Coyote section...…….. 👍
I just did.

What's your barrel twist ... and ... do you care about saving fur?

If you're an 8twist barrel - you'll likely have better results sticking with the 70gr and up bullets ... Personally, I like the 75g VMAX - it is a groundhog eliminating laser beam out of my 6mmBR.

I also like the 87g VMAX but for whatever reason, my rifle just didn't seem to want them ... I gave my remaining 87's to my dad and he is using them in his 6BR with exceptional results.

If you want to minimize pelt damage to save fur, a varmint bullet may not be your best option - unless you go Uber light and Uber fast so they enter and blow up internally ... 55g Nosler's at 3600 and up will do this as will 58g VMAX ... if you can't get the velocities you need for those (and it will be tough with an ARC at 18" length) you may need to go to a target/match bullet known for punching "pencil holes" instead.

I don't plan on saving the fur. Im just interested in a good kill. My barrel is a 7.5 to 1 twist. I like the 87s as they have a good BC, but i probably should consider the 75s

Might want to double check with Hornady on the 75's in a 7.5twist ... I used to not worry about it until I was intermittently spinning apart 50g vmax's in a 223 with a 7 twist ...

"probably" are ok with the 75 (and almost for sure with the 87's) ...

If memory serves me correctly, Sierra also has a 85g blitz that should do quite nicely on unwanted critters.

I had poor accuracy with the 87 grain bullet in a 9 twist 6mm Remington. I was shooting at around 3200-3300 fps if I recall, tried a couple different powders. Should work fine for coyotes if your rifle likes them.

I used to use 58 grain V-Max's out of a Kimber .243. It was the only bullet I could get to shoot well out of that finicky rifle. Accuracy was .6 moa. I was getting right at 3800 FPS. That load was a sure killer on marmots out to 500 yards and frangible enough to kill coyotes without ruining the hide... most of the time.

The other bullets I use in my bigger varmint rifles, 6.5-7mm, are Berger hunting VLD's. These bullets have turned marmots inside out at 800 yds and expanded sufficient for quick kills to 1400 yds.
I like the Hunting VDLs , but seems like one could get similar results for half the price with other brand bullets, no? Since I enjoy practicing, so I could shoot at less cost when choosing other bullets.

I really like VMAX's for a true varmint bullet. But I've heard great things about Speer TNT's. But this week my favorite is Berger 55gr Flat Based match. It's the only bullet that will shoot in my burned up 22-250. Took a chuck at 583 yards with it this week.

I like the Hunting VDLs , but seems like one could get similar results for half the price with other brand bullets, no? Since I enjoy practicing, so I could shoot at less cost when choosing other bullets.
Are Bergers really that expensive? They have always seemed (non pandemic) in line with or pretty close to most cup and core options to me.

Bergers are more expensive. I like to shoot a lot also so I try to factor in the cost. For me I justify my use of the Berger 55gr Match Flat Base bullets this way. It's the only bullet that consistently shoots sub moa in my 22-250 now. I found this out by accident. So I could buy a new barrel for this season, which I would prefer to do, or shoot this one using the Berger. Since the first box of 100 got me dialed in on my load and confirmed dope out to 800 yards it's cheaper to use them than getting a new barrel and working up a load. I think they are around 15% more expensive than the vmax's in a 22 cal.

So in the 22 cal (55gr bullets) and 6mm (87gr bullets) there is about a $9 difference in price, so yes that's a pretty big jump in price. Would I normally choose a vmax? Yup I already have. But in this particular barrel I burned up now only shoots Bergers. So in a barrel whether it's old or new if that barrel only likes a particular bullet the choice is either buy the bullet, or pull the barrel.

Me I like what are affectionately called "Kangaroo" bullets the 6mm are 55gr and in 22 they are 50gr they are in a league
of there own. And no "Dog Town" bullets are not the same the closest to the Roo's are they Hornady SX bullets but they are only available in 22cal 55gr. Boo Hoo

Dean

I'm a fan of V-Maxes for a lot of years, very good accuracy! I've shot the most in 22 caliber but wouldn't hesitate to recommend for varmint or pest control especially at long range :)