Speer varmint bullet

I have had excellent results using Speer bullets for Prairie Dogs. I've shot thousands of both the Varmint soft points as well as the TNT hollow points. I run them in everything from 15" TC Encore pistols in 223 and 308 up through AR-15s and 26" heavy barrel bench guns. I would say the TNTs have a slight edge when it comes to splat factor and red mist with both giving minute of Prairie Dog accuracy. Both bullets disintegrate well on first contact, minimizing ricochet dangers. I've been buying mine through Vizards Guns and Ammo. They have really good pricing and reasonable shipping. Several of the Varmint SPs and TNTs are available in 1000 count value packs which brings the price per bullet way down compared to mainstream varmint bullets like Ballistic Tips or VMAXs. Can't beat the Speers for high volume varmint shooting.

Been shooting TNTs for 26 years in calibers from 22 to 30. They are one of my favorite bullets, and very accurate in most rifles I have used them in. I just wish Speer would crank more out. Along with most other companies, their availability accept for 22 cal has been sporadic to low.

50 grain .224 1029 Any body shooting these bullets for prairie dogs or ground hogs.

Yep. For about 30+ years we have been using the TNT's and other in .224, .243, .257, and .308 calibers. I have about 4-5k sitting on the shelf now, and over the past 3 decades, I would guess we have shot well over 10k++(After thinking a moment, it is probably much higher). Mostly in the .224 and .243 diameters. I never have any trouble finding a very accurate load with them, and one season, I had a 222 Remington load that was so accurate I used it in a few BR matches.

P-dogs hate them! Here are a few bulk boxes I could quickly get pics of. The top opened box by the Bergers and not showing the label is a .224 50gr TNT's also.

Attachments

• IMG_0180.jpg
    IMG_0180.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0181.jpg
    IMG_0181.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0182.jpg
    IMG_0182.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
50 grain .224 1029 Any body shooting these bullets for prairie dogs or ground hogs.
I use them exclusively for urban coyote and bobcat work. The load I use is fast enough in my 16" barreled rifles to not overpenetrate on broadside bobcats inside 50 yards and will not overpenetrate on body shot coyotes out past 200 yards.
They are supremely accurate in all my .223 caliber rifles.
It is my bullet of choice for calling coyotes within 300 yards.

Ed

Thanks guys that's what I wanted to hear. I will order some and work up a good load for 222 Rem. and 223 Rem. I am planning on dropping the hammer on a few thousand Wyoming PDs first of June. Might get lucky and throw a couple at a coyote too . Looking for an alternative bullet from the higher price ones

Yeah, I'm a sucker for factory seconds & whatever is on sale, frangible of course. Just a few years ago I bought a fair amount under $10 a 100.

If someone asks, Blitzkings are about my favorite, but at 1/2 the price, the cheapies get-R-done.

I shoot the 50g TNT, 55g TNT, in 22 caliber, and the 70g TNT in 6mm. A guy would be smart to stock up on these bullets, they shoot tiny groups, verified in 5 different 22 PPC's that I have owned, and MANY 6 PPCs and 6 BRs. In the 12T Hart barrel 243 AIs, we shot the 70g at 3850 fps and never had a bullet blow up prior to hitting the target.