650 yard shot on elk

hitmancustoms

Wanted to share with you guys on my son and I's first rifle elk hunt. My son shooting a custom 300wm shooting Berger 205 elite and myself a custom 7 SAUM shooting Berger 168 elites.
My son had the first clear shot at 650 yds and doubled on both hits first high and second double lunged but a little high broadside. The elk then turned to go down hill and that's when he dropped him with a frontal thru the throat shot at the shoulder height and dropped him as he brought his head up. What an experience and our first long range shot on an animal.
All those times of being at the range and reaching out to a mile targets. The load work ups on both rifles for the extreme temp changes paid off. Thanks for all the help and on-site that this site helps with. Using a lot of your info at the range paid off. Trigger time is so much easier and fun that I will continue to hone my craft as best I can.

Attachments

• 0136913B-62DA-4152-A5E2-A950E0CE5B26.jpeg
    0136913B-62DA-4152-A5E2-A950E0CE5B26.jpeg
    374.6 KB · Views: 649
Last edited:
Awesome hunt!!!! Love reading the stories. Especially the ones with family. Thanks for sharing it and the pic. Great Elk Too👍

I need to write my Elk Hunt with NTO this year up, but that a different thread.
Congrats Again !!!!!
Congrats on a successful hunt and great shooting ,enjoy while you can the older you get the colder it gets I sure can't take that cold like I used too.

Wanted to share with you guys on my son and I's first rifle elk hunt. My son shooting a custom 300wm shooting Berger 205 elite and myself a custom 7 SAUM shooting Berger 168 elites.
My son had the first clear shot at 650 yds and doubled on both hits first high and second double lunged but a little high broadside. The elk then turned to go down hill and that's when he dropped him with a frontal thru the throat shot at the shoulder height and dropped him as he brought his head up. What an experience and our first long range shot on an animal.
All those times of being at the range and reaching out to a mile targets. The load work ups on both rifles for the extreme temp changes paid off. Thanks for all the help and on-site that this site helps with. Using a lot of your info at the range paid off. Trigger time is so much easier and fun that I will continue to hone my craft as best I can.
Awesome, and now your lucky, Elk roast for Thanksgiving, yummy Congrats.