Advice on 1000 yard elk hunting rig?

Food for thought. I have a 300 Weatherby, Mark V Terramark, with a 26" barrel. I shoot Berger 215gr. Hybrids @ 2965FPS. This load is surprisingly easy on brass for me. If I do my part, this load shoots 1/2 MOA out to 800 yards. I haven't tested it further yet. Within the ranges I shot all I can say is this load is an absolute hammer. With the addition of an Accubrake the recoil is no more than a .308.

Now to respond to the post with a little more weight... I write this with tears, because of a new job I could not partake in "The Annual Elk Hunt" this year.

On Saturday, a friend of mine harvested a big 5x6 at 750 yards with a 300 Weatherby shooting a 210 Accubond LR. One shot DRT.

Sunday morning another friend of mine harvested a nice 6x6 @ 650 yards with a custom Hart barreled/ short throated 300 WBY shooting a 180gr Nosler Accubond @ 3230 FPS. One shot and the bull took a snow nap DRT.

Monday evening my friend's father harvested a 5x5 yesterday at 480 yards with a 1980's Mark V in 300 weatherby shooting box Nosler Custom 200gr partition @ ~2850FPS 1 Shot DRT.

I am impressed with all of the builds /chambering from various member within this forum. As far a myself and my hunting buddies, we are partial to Weatherby. In my experiences hunting and shooting from 50 to 1,300 yards I have not found a reason not to seek another cartridge.

Long live the belted magnum. And yes, you can bet your paycheck that this is the last hunting trip I miss!

Food for thought. I have a 300 Weatherby, Mark V Terramark, with a 26" barrel. I shoot Berger 215gr. Hybrids @ 2965FPS. This load is surprisingly easy on brass for me. If I do my part, this load shoots 1/2 MOA out to 800 yards. I haven't tested it further yet. Within the ranges I shot all I can say is this load is an absolute hammer. With the addition of an Accubrake the recoil is no more than a .308.

Now to respond to the post with a little more weight... I write this with tears, because of a new job I could not partake in "The Annual Elk Hunt" this year.

On Saturday, a friend of mine harvested a big 5x6 at 750 yards with a 300 Weatherby shooting a 210 Accubond LR. One shot DRT.

Sunday morning another friend of mine harvested a nice 6x6 @ 650 yards with a custom Hart barreled/ short throated 300 WBY shooting a 180gr Nosler Accubond @ 3230 FPS. One shot and the bull took a snow nap DRT.

Monday evening my friend's father harvested a 5x5 yesterday at 480 yards with a 1980's Mark V in 300 weatherby shooting box Nosler Custom 200gr partition @ ~2850FPS 1 Shot DRT.

I am impressed with all of the builds /chambering from various member within this forum. As far a myself and my hunting buddies, we are partial to Weatherby. In my experiences hunting and shooting from 50 to 1,300 yards I have not found a reason not to seek another cartridge.

Long live the belted magnum. And yes, you can bet your paycheck that this is the last hunting trip I miss!
I could be wrong but I"m thinking you may want to reword this.

I could be wrong but I"m thinking you may want to reword this.

You are correct! Unfortunately when I attempted to edit the post, a window popped up and stated there was an error.

So here is the edit!

I have not found a reason to seek another cartridge.

Regards,

Brandon

You are correct! Unfortunately when I attempted to edit the post, a window popped up and stated there was an error.

So here is the edit!

I have not found a reason to seek another cartridge.

Regards,

Brandon
I figured that's where you were heading.

There's a limit on edit time on posts that have been responded to, I'm not sure what that time is though.

Before this year, I thought long range hunting was 500 yards for elk and deer using numerous .264 caliber guns.
I then went to Colorado and shot my buddy's long range custom 300 WM and took a nice six point bull at 902 yards. Watching that vapor trail and then the shock wave through the elk was incredible. Now I need my own true long range elk gun.
His gun is a modified 7mm Ruger M77 with a 30" bull Douglas barrel shooting 210 Nosl LRAB at 2887fps. This gun weighs in at 15#. This combo was devastating and dropped the bull on the spot.
I have quite a few potential 30 cal "donor" guns to customize but I thought I'd pick people's minds as to their input.
I'm in fairly good shape and condition and don't mind packing a 15# gun a few miles and I'm waffling between sticking with a heavier 30 cal bullet or asking a gunsmith to put me together a good 28 nosler throated for heavier bullets (195 Berger?).
Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Whatever you do you need to shoot alot if your interest is shooting elk at a grand. Hit it right is the key most important thing.