Advice on 1000 yard elk hunting rig?

There is no 7 mag with a 195 gr bullet comparable to
A 338 Lm with a .818 300 grain Berger when it comes to foot pounds of energy at 1000 yards. I'm not even going to run the numbers through a ballistic calculator. It's really pretty simple.

It all depends on how one values penetration. Same 'ft-lbs' does not mean same performance.

Energy comparisons favor faster, lighter bullets.

Penetration favors heavy bullets.

I'm not looking to change anyone's mind, just stating facts.

Identity in equipment is often indicative of inexperience.

Its one thing to hit something and its another to have a clean kill most caliber mention above, would do the job but i would stick to a 30 Cal and a 300RUM would be my pick.

You really should build the rifle around the bullet. I have gotten more bad feedback on the 195 than all other bergers combined so I no long consider it for hunting. Pencils and blow ups. Most of my customers have went to the 175 and 180s in their 28 nolsers and have been happier. The 215 has a very good reputation and is my first choice for an elk bullet. The form factor and killing ability of the 250 berger is excellent as well and I think it gets overlooked because every one wants to shoot the 300.

If bigger is so much better..Everyone should just get a .50 BMG bolt gun and be done with it? Why not use what you shoot best? A 7MM through the heart works better
than a .338 through the guts?

700 gr (45 g) Barnes 2,978 ft/s (908 m/s) 13,971 ft⋅lbf (18,942 J)

Last edited:
Its all great, but maybe just get a little closer instead of on the edge of ability. We never hear of the dismal shots and outcomes. Just like going to Vegas the stories are of the wins not the losses. We could learn a lot more from the losses. shoot what works for you and above all practice practice practice

You really should build the rifle around the bullet. I have gotten more bad feedback on the 195 than all other bergers combined so I no long consider it for hunting. Pencils and blow ups. Most of my customers have went to the 175 and 180s in their 28 nolsers and have been happier. The 215 has a very good reputation and is my first choice for an elk bullet. The form factor and killing ability of the 250 berger is excellent as well and I think it gets overlooked because every one wants to shoot the 300.

Thank you for your explanation around the distance limitations you use. Also my 28 nosler loves the 195s. It was the easiest bullet I have ever loaded, but based on reports from you and others, I decided not to use it as a hunting round.

My choice would be .30 or bigger. If you're recoil sensitive shoot a few first and try to find some suitable ways to reduce it. I went with a 300WM. The smaller calibers can kill them just fine but I think they are slightly less forgiving. Listen to gentlemen preaching practice. This is key. Good luck to you with your build.

If bigger is so much better..Everyone should just get a .50 BMG bolt gun and be done with it? Why not use what you shoot best? A 7MM through the heart works better
than a .338 through the guts?

700 gr (45 g) Barnes 2,978 ft/s (908 m/s) 13,971 ft⋅lbf (18,942 J)

Indeed it does!!! a 7mm in the heart is better then a .338 in the guts.

Now the flip side is this. a .338 in the guts (bad shot) will kill quicker and do more damage then a 7mm in the guts again a bad shot.

Another thing people over look is the fact the bigger caliber make a bigger hole in and out. AND displaces more tissue AND hold more mass for deeper and bigger wound channels.

I am not against the 7mm. I just happen to use 30 cals.

But we have to be honest a 7mm regardles if it has the same ftlbs @1000 yards it will not have the same killing power as a .30 or .338.

The old saying of "theres no replacement for displacement" comes into play.

Not to mention the guys that guide and see 50 plus elk harvested a year (hundreds over the last 4 or more years) with the 7mm .30 and .338. Most agree same shot placements the .30 and up do a better job. Even with a "perfect" shot.

Indeed it does!!! a 7mm in the heart is better then a .338 in the guts.

Now the flip side is this. a .338 in the guts (bad shot) will kill quicker and do more damage then a 7mm in the guts again a bad shot.

Another thing people over look is the fact the bigger caliber make a bigger hole in and out. AND displaces more tissue AND hold more mass for deeper and bigger wound channels.

I am not against the 7mm. I just happen to use 30 cals.

But we have to be honest a 7mm regardles if it has the same ftlbs @1000 yards it will not have the same killing power as a .30 or .338.

The old saying of "theres no replacement for displacement" comes into play.

Not to mention the guys that guide and see 50 plus elk harvested a year (hundreds over the last 4 or more years) with the 7mm .30 and .338. Most agree same shot placements the .30 and up do a better job. Even with a "perfect" shot.
Good points for sure.
Here are a few pics of the penetration that I got on my 940 yard bull with the 147 6.5 ELD-M.
The pic of the hole is through the ribs with the shoulder removed, the bullet hit high center mass in that shoulder and shattered it.
the shot was at a 25 degree upward angle and shattered the spine as well.
I wish I had a pic of the lungs and shattered spine.
20181020_090706.jpg
20181020_102433.jpg

Thank you for your explanation around the distance limitations you use. Also my 28 nosler loves the 195s. It was the easiest bullet I have ever loaded, but based on reports from you and others, I decided not to use it as a hunting round.
I know, the 195 shoots awesome! And I have killed an elk with it, no problems. But the reports are real and from solid guys. A lot of times someone will never recover the animal and blame the bullet when shot placement cant be verified. Thats not the case here. Too bad because everything else about it is great. I am starting to think its a lot to lot thing. If you have a lot that works your good, if not your going to have problems. Problem is you have to wound something to find out.