60* or 90*, preference? One better than the other?

Oh my, I know a lot of people grew up on 90 degree bolts, get used to them, and shoot far better than me with them, but in my personal experience, once you experience a 70 degree Tikka bolt, or a 60 degree Browning X-Bolt or Sako bolt, you can't go back to a 90 degree bolt.
I absolutely won't touch a 90 degree bolt now that I am used to the Tikka/Sako actions. For me, they are much quicker, require a better hand position, etc. Then, of course, I started hunting with the Blaser R8, and that's a straight pull. (The Sako/Tikka bolts are smoother though, so not convinced the Blaser is much faster yet., but I'm new to the system).

Straight pulls give me pause. I know it isn't really relevant to this discussion but I have a Steyr Mannlicher M95 carbine which I don't shoot because I feel like the bolt is going to fly out the back of the action and separate the hemispheres of my brain. I am sure Blaser and Merkel make fine weapons but I won't be lining up to find out.

I'm sure PRETTY wasn't in the design...just know it works far better than most....could be just me though....maybe I should try a Savage? Oh yeah....I did that...nope still like Weatherby!😊
It was designed for all 9 lugs to have even contact and distribute the load, but they don't. The last one I checked only had 3 lugs making partial contact and 6 making zero contact. If you think that's better than most, have at it and enjoy your WBY's.

It was designed for all 9 lugs to have even contact and distribute the load, but they don't. The last one I checked only had 3 lugs making partial contact and 6 making zero contact. If you think that's better than most, have at it and enjoy your WBY's.
Curious and want to learn, I think I have it pictured in my mind. How do you verify something like this with a barreled action?

Would Dykem be useful for something like this?

Thanks Darryle

Personally, I find a 60 degree bolt lift to be a little faster to cycle, and to provide better clearance with the ocular (as I mentioned, above). But, bolt lift is just one of many aspects I consider when choosing a rifle. For example, I am a big fan of the Model 70's, despite that action being a 90 degree bolt lift. In general, for me, if the rifle is not a 60 degree'er, it needs to bring something else to the table for me to be interested, such as being controlled round feed, be especially smooth to cycle, be chambered in a unique cartridge, be extremely accurate, etc. Otherwise, I am going to default to the 60 degree option.

JMHO

Last edited:
Gunwerks and savage are the only two thinking outside of the box when it comes to actions lately. Make it three, Bat Vampire. The rest are just playing around carving away at weight with same ol' thought process. Maybe actions have evolved as far as that can go?
Hopefully not.

Last edited: