6 years too long to wait for rifle?

Cool! What is it chambered in? etc

Steve

338-300 WSM, rock creek barrel m24 contour 1:10 should have finished 26-27" range, Holland qd brake, Holland recoil lug, Jewell trigger, Wyatt's magazine box, NF 20 moa base pinned on, badger ordinance m16 extractor, McMillan adjustable HTC sniper fill. That is his test scope, I have a Zeiss 3-9x50 that I sent. I have really come to like some extra features in a scope, so although I recall that Zeiss being amazingly clear and bright I will probably have to get another SHV to put on this rifle.

I know that lots of people are slinging mud in this thread, some with experience some with out. Did things go wrong with this build? Absolutely. Has he worked with me in the past couple weeks to get me my rifle? Absolutely. And to the people thinking I should have gotten a free cerracoat job or whatever, all I ever wanted was the rifle that I supplied parts and labor cost for. Am I happy that it has taken this long? No. Do I get that sometimes **** goes south and things are over looked? Yes. I really don't think that my experience has been exactly what can be expected from Kirby. I do however think he might need to employ some streamlining or organization strategies to his business model.

Do you have experience that Kirby has lost his ability as a good gun smith?

Steve

If this is directed to me, I never said he lost any ability as a gun smith. I have never used his services and never will. I just said he has good competition these days and doesn't have a lock on the business, if he ever did. I think this thread speaks volumes on his business practices and additude toward his customers. Waiting 2 plus years doesn't buy you a magic wand. And its not an investment either, you will never sell it for more than you paid for it. Good grief.

338-300 WSM, rock creek barrel m24 contour 1:10 should have finished 26-27" range, Holland qd brake, Holland recoil lug, Jewell trigger, Wyatt's magazine box, NF 20 moa base pinned on, badger ordinance m16 extractor, McMillan adjustable HTC sniper fill. That is his test scope, I have a Zeiss 3-9x50 that I sent. I have really come to like some extra features in a scope, so although I recall that Zeiss being amazingly clear and bright I will probably have to get another SHV to put on this rifle.

I know that lots of people are slinging mud in this thread, some with experience some with out. Did things go wrong with this build? Absolutely. Has he worked with me in the past couple weeks to get me my rifle? Absolutely. And to the people thinking I should have gotten a free cerracoat job or whatever, all I ever wanted was the rifle that I supplied parts and labor cost for. Am I happy that it has taken this long? No. Do I get that sometimes **** goes south and things are over looked? Yes. I really don't think that my experience has been exactly what can be expected from Kirby. I do however think he might need to employ some streamlining or organization strategies to his business model.

That should be a fun one. I can't wait to hear how that chambering works.

Steve

You would think he would have thrown in a free cerakote job or something for you. Looks like he did nothing more than what your dollar bought.

He's not much of a businessman is he? He has lots of competition and there are several smiths who do BETTER work and do it sooner these days. The business survives on a perceived image from days gone by and gullible souls.

I wouldn't wait 2 years for one of his rifles. Wouldn't give my money to a business like that. He has no respect for his customers, for up to a certain time he had them by the balls, but no longer.

You said there are others who do better work, implying that his is inferior. I thought maybe you had first hand experience with poor workmanship.

Always fun to jump on the pig pile.

Steve

You said there are others who do better work, implying that his is inferior. I thought maybe you had first hand experience with poor workmanship.

Always fun to jump on the pig pile.

Steve

Maybe should have said I feel others can do as good or better. I think you get what you pay for with a lot of custom rifles these days. There are some very highly regarded custom gun makers with stellar reputations.

I would though consider his business practices inferior considering statements in this thread are truthful.

And I am not jumping on a f****** pig pile and I don't appreciate the comment.

Listen he is not waiting on other people to get to work he was waiting on dies. Something that most other smiths order also. Since it's a cartridge of his design and low volume they pushed him back and decided to not fill the rest of the orders. And having dealt with a situation similar it can take a lot to get straight. I agree many smiths can do a good job. Again people wait because of his proprietary cartridges. Can't find many that match the performance of his. So I don't need to buy the crap it's all reasonable. I also would not wait that long for anything but his hot rods. I actually had 4 built since I ordered by other great smiths. I will not wait 2 years for a everyday cartridge but I will for one of his.

Again six years is crazy and your rifle looks great but six years is to long no matter who does it. But for the most part he tells everyone two years and usually delivers. He has said he would do my other rifles but until he gets his builds back down to a year I can't do it unless it's a design of his.

I know that lots of people are slinging mud in this thread, some with experience some with out. Did things go wrong with this build? Absolutely. Has he worked with me in the past couple weeks to get me my rifle? Absolutely. And to the people thinking I should have gotten a free cerracoat job or whatever, all I ever wanted was the rifle that I supplied parts and labor cost for. Am I happy that it has taken this long? No. Do I get that sometimes **** goes south and things are over looked? Yes. I really don't think that my experience has been exactly what can be expected from Kirby. I do however think he might need to employ some streamlining or organization strategies to his business model.[/QUOTE]

I think you are absolutely correct. Should not have taken this long. Also he may need some help. I know he l build them all himself which is why I went with him. Because I have two rifles done by very well known smiths that people swear by and had such a horrible experience with that I will not go back. One took several trips back on my dime to get it right. They also lost my rifle for a year. So I didn't save a ton of time and was not happy. When talking with them it was an employee thing. I had several smiths in his shop working on my rifle. So yes I got it done in about a year but also had a hard time getting it back and done right. Never did get my double rifle case back. I also got charged twice and had to prove I paid them twice to get refund. Now the trod is great and I love it but I think it was a one off deal with the smith. So I have a hard time bashing a smith or business on a one time deal especially if they are not a holes in the process.

I would not wait no time for a 338 from Kirby. There's one in the classifieds for sale with no wait time but shipping or driving to pick up. Its just got the bolt on the wrong side.
Allen Precision Shooting APS Raptor repeater in 338 Allen Xpress for sale

That's what's great about America, we still have plenty of choices to choose from and decide on. As long as the end-user can live with the decision they make and the consequences associated with it, I say go for it! :):Dgun)

lightbulbCheers!lightbulb

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.