6 mm Dasher

JWgroups

Hey fellows,
I am pondering the idea of building a 6 mm Dasher for target shooting. My local range only goes out to 400 yards and want a really accurate 6 mm for 400 yards but occasionally will drive to 1000 yard range. Will the Dasher handle the wind shooting across mountain tops in eastern Kentucky out to 1000 yards? Please let me know your thoughts on this caliber and suggestions for a 6 mm caliber.

If your planning on mostly 400 your more than fine; but being from the mountains of NC the bigger your bullets the less wind movement and drift at 1000. I personally have 2 6mm br's and occasionally shoot one at 1000 if it's a good day, but mostly use 300 rum and 338 edge at 1000 and beyond.

Thanks Kevin, yes mostly 400 yards will be what I shoot. I do have 6.5 CM, 300 WM, and 308 for longer ranges.

I built a 6mm Dasher, and it runs just 50 FPS slower than my 243, on almost 10 grains of powder less. I love mine and think that it is probably the best practice rifle for working on technique. Feeding can be an issue, but is easily overcome with the mag mod kit from Primal Rights. I'm running Varget and 105 Berget Hybrids out of Norma brass (no fire forming).

I don't want to talk you out of a Dasher, but you are basically shooting heavy 6mm bullets at 2900 fps. Wind is never your friend, neither is spotting impacts unless on barren ground.
It may be the most fun case you'll ever shoot at 400 yards though. I just pulled one barrel, but have been loading for 4 Dashers for the last yr and a half. There are days where there is a line in the sand that cannot be crossed with any efficiency, unless you like wasting ammo. I'll probably always shoot 1 Dasher, or a 6 BRA though.

That's what I'm sorta looking for. I have read that several of the top shooters in competition world shoot the Dasher. They are shooting out to 1000 yards I would think but could be mistaken.

That's what I'm sorta looking for. I have read that several of the top shooters in competition world shoot the Dasher. They are shooting out to 1000 yards I would think but could be mistaken.
They do, but the dasher is slowly being replaced by the 6 BRA case, an even smaller yet more efficient case. If you are going off 1K comps alone, research it a little bit more.

Thank you!!! This is the kind of info I'm looking for and will do some more research. I'm not looking to compete but want an 6 mm that is efficient and known for its accuracy.

Thank you!!! This is the kind of info I'm looking for and will do some more research. I'm not looking to compete but want an 6 mm that is efficient and known for its accuracy.
Like I said, dasher a fun rd, and I did well to 1500 in little or constant winds, 1600 was pushing it. But I was on flat terrain for the most part, not in the mtns. Both mine did well with a 110 Sierra, and both ran at 2920fps with 26" barrels.
All things change when bullets get bounced around by wind, and you know this.

Understand, but I won't know until I try. I have other 1000 yard ranges that I can go to if conditions are to much shooting across mountains in the old coal fields. Winds are not very forgiving but yet fun to try and overcome. Googled the 6 BRA and really like what I'm reading. Thanks for the info!!

Understand, but I won't know until I try. I have other 1000 yard ranges that I can go to if conditions are to much shooting across mountains in the old coal fields. Winds are not very forgiving but yet fun to try and overcome. Googled the 6 BRA and really like what I'm reading. Thanks for the info!!
Sorry if I made it sound like I was trying to talk you out of one, both BRA and Dasher awesome. We shoot 5" plate regularly to 1K, and it is a hoot. Some days we are kings, others we stink up the joint.

Two friends here in MT have shot World records with said round in 1000 bench light gun,Penn rules. They competed with the 300 wsm also

I put together a 6 dasher hunting gun this fall. I also went with the Norma version as I didn't want to fire form. I'm currently shooting 103 eldx at 2905 FPS out of a 22" benchmark. 32 gr of Varget gets me there. Very fun gun to shoot and practice with. I only practice out to 500 yds with the dasher. But it's capable to shoot much farther.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.