6 Dasher question

wasskeet

Curious here. I have been shooting a no-turn neck (.275") 6 Dasher with Peterson brass. Seems to be working pretty well. But who here doesn't want to try something different. Lapua 6BR brass is tough to come by. But loaded 6BR ammo with Scenar 90 or 105 is available. Has anybody here just shot factory Lapua 6BR in a Dasher to fire-form? Or is that not possible without jamming?

you cannot fireform br in a dasher chamber without a false shoulder or a hard jam. you can pull the bullets and then make a false shoulder or do a hard jam when you reseat the bullets. the dasher shoulder is just too far forward to form like an ackley chamber.

There's a ton of movement going on there, you'd have to pull and reseat, maybe even resize the necks down to get a hard enough jam. It's not an AI, the neck/shoulder junction moves so like he said ^^^ you need something (false shoulder or jam) to hold the case against the bolt face. Not saying you'll for sure get a hangfire, but the chance goes up significantly if the case can chamber deeper.

I've gotten a lot of shots on the same brass. Have you noticed a capacity difference with Peterson brass? I haven't been able to get anywhere near the capacity that Hodgdon load data said, I could without seeing signs of pressure.

Curious here. I have been shooting a no-turn neck (.275") 6 Dasher with Peterson brass. Seems to be working pretty well. But who here doesn't want to try something different. Lapua 6BR brass is tough to come by. But loaded 6BR ammo with Scenar 90 or 105 is available. Has anybody here just shot factory Lapua 6BR in a Dasher to fire-form? Or is that not possible without jamming?
I use Alpha Munitions 6 MM DASHER factory brass in my 6 Dasher, .272 No neck turn reamer 104 freebore 28" M24 Bartlein 5 R 7.5 twist 4 ounce trigger ..no fireforming, just mandrel neck, load, and shoot your hotest load, the first time. I have supper accuracy loads and accurate high velocity loads like 107 gr SMK at 3136 fps, 110 gr SMK at 3085 fps a LR steel load or 115 DTAC at 3020 fps.
Varmints ....58 Vmax at 4100 fps, 70 gr Noslers 3700 fps.

I've gotten a lot of shots on the same brass. Have you noticed a capacity difference with Peterson brass? I haven't been able to get anywhere near the capacity that Hodgdon load data said, I could without seeing signs of pressure.
All I have used so far is Peterson. Presently 32.0gr Varget & 105 hybrid. This is possibly on edge as it is cratering primers at 2920-2922.

I use Alpha Munitions 6 MM DASHER factory brass in my 6 Dasher, .272 No neck turn reamer 104 freebore 28" M24 Bartlein 5 R 7.5 twist 4 ounce trigger ..no fireforming, just mandrel neck, load, and shoot your hotest load, the first time. I have supper accuracy loads and accurate high velocity loads like 107 gr SMK at 3136 fps, 110 gr SMK at 3085 fps a LR steel load or 115 DTAC at 3020 fps.
Varmints ....58 Vmax at 4100 fps, 70 gr Noslers 3700 fps
I'd be interested to see what those pressures are 😳.

OP has gotten some good info as it's not wise to shoot factory BR ammo from a dasher as they are different dimensions.

If you want to try something different I'd suggest the alpha dasher brass. They have that cartridge pretty much figured out. If you're looking for more of a challenge first try finding Lapua, then go through the process of jamming a bullet along with a false shoulder. On second thought, just buy the Alpha brass and try a different bullet if your bored.

Another potential problem with improving factory ammo is that you don't get a chance to pre-anneal it.
Could get some cracks.

Back it down to 2850 and enjoy tiny groups.
If you're happy with the results where you're at now, that is fine...but Besides Varget, RL 15 108 Berger have become one of my favorites and are very accurate in my rifle slightly lower single digit S/D and higher velocities. Also H4895 with 115 gr shows remarkable accuracy with certain bullets at 2800 plus fps area, and imr 4064 has a nice velocity increase shows promise in the 107 to 108 gr area. For High Speed LR steel the 110 SMK at 3085 fps is nice.

Another potential problem with improving factory ammo is that you don't get a chance to pre-anneal it.
Could get some cracks.
Lapua BR is annealed from the factory.
If you're happy with the results where you're at now, that is fine...but Besides Varget, RL 15 108 Berger have become one of my favorites and are very accurate in my rifle slightly lower single digit S/D and higher velocities. Also H4895 with 115 gr shows remarkable accuracy with certain bullets at 2800 plus fps area, and imr 4064 has a nice velocity increase shows promise in the 107 to 108 gr area. For High Speed LR steel the 110 SMK at 3085 fps is nice.
I have yet to see a SD above 10 in my last 3 BRA barrels or any dashers that my buddies run no matter what speeds they are running.

Honest question, what does that high speed gain you on long range steel? Have you ever shot this rifle in the rain?

I thought the same thing about a dasher barreled action I just picked up, then said let's just look for dasher brass. I found Alpha 6dasher brass without any problems actually more available than br brass. I have both chamberings so I figured why bother having misstamped brass.