6 Dasher or 6 Gt?

509TrophyHusband

I'm looking to build a rifle to shoot long range, deer hunt, coyote hunt, in the 6mm caliber, and use less powder than the 243 and 6mm rem. What I'm really looking for is pros and cons with the dasher and gt. Also what is everyone running for brass, primers, powder, bullets in each? And what results are you seeing ?

I really like my 22" dasher shooting 105 Berger's. I still need to tweak it as said above for feeding issues. Such a fun gun to shoot. I went with the Norma brass version, so no fire forming. Brass seems good. But think next time I'd go lapua.

For hunting go GT. Like LongBomber said, you really need to add a spacer to magazines to get the Dasher to feed reliably. Once you do that you've got a dedicated magazine that can't be used for other cartridges unless you remove the spacer.

Or, go 6mm arc and avoid the feeding issues. The velocities will be very close with the same barrel lengths, and I think you'll get significantly better barrel life from the arc. Plus there is the option of cheap and available factory ammo.

Once again to echo what other have said. Feeding can be an issue unless modified mags are used most of the time. I just had my second dasher built and I built one for varmints and other for deer hunting. The dasher built on the sajo 85 feeds just fine and never had an issue but the other needs some mods to make it feed. Both are super accurate! Here is the "hunting" version.
20211120_160243.jpg
I am running Pererson brass that I fireformed and haven't got past fireforming. Shot 2 deer with 103 eld x fireforming loads.

Once again to echo what other have said. Feeding can be an issue unless modified mags are used most of the time. I just had my second dasher built and I built one for varmints and other for deer hunting. The dasher built on the sajo 85 feeds just fine and never had an issue but the other needs some mods to make it feed. Both are super accurate! Here is the "hunting" version.
View attachment 319118
I am running Pererson brass that I fireformed and haven't got past fireforming. Shot 2 deer with 103 eld x fireforming loads.
What kind of velocities are you seeing? What barrel length? Powder? Primer?

It's a proof 16.5" 1:7 5 twist. I haven't worked up any full power loads with hunting bullets yet. The only load I've worked up so far is for predators this winter. I'm using H4895 br-4 primers with 80 grain Berger flat base and running 3113 fps.

The only contribution I might make would be toward the build. I put together a 6 GT last night. It took less than 4 weeks from ordering parts to having rifle together. My last 2 builds are bughole shooters built by GAP. The drawback is that it took 6mos to a year as with almost all good gunsmiths. I went with Impact actions. There are now other actions being built so consistently that you can build shouldered barrels that are pre-fit. Defiance has a model and I believe there are others. Maybe Kelby? This is shouldered prefits, not a barrel / nut system.
Good luck on your decision. It seems like it's hard to go wrong as one is a proven performer & the other is doing awesome & winning many tournaments. The pics are from last night.

Attachments

• 44613641-BDD7-4C4C-BAF3-C7DC0342B6CD.jpeg
    44613641-BDD7-4C4C-BAF3-C7DC0342B6CD.jpeg
    705.5 KB · Views: 255
  • 38033E36-AA8E-457E-8506-22E399F6C8C2.jpeg
    38033E36-AA8E-457E-8506-22E399F6C8C2.jpeg
    430.9 KB · Views: 177
I shoot a 6GT for PRS competitions and load my own 105 Berger, Hornady Brass, CCI 400, Varget 33.xish and get 2950 FPS (35g gets me 3050 FPS).

GA Precision is selling loaded Hornady ammo now (pre-order for Feb) for about $33-34 a box. Loaded with 109ELDM.

If you have an action that accepts pre-fits, lots of companies are selling them now.

Good luck!

Is there a reason, other than 8gr less powder consumption, you don't want to go 6CM?

I get 3200 w. 105 Hyb in my 24" 6CM w. 42.0gr H4350. You can always load a 6CM DOWN to 2950-3000fps for steel/targets. But can load them hot for hunting.

Is there a reason, other than 8gr less powder consumption, you don't want to go 6CM?

I get 3200 w. 105 Hyb in my 24" 6CM w. 42.0gr H4350. You can always load a 6CM DOWN to 2950-3000fps for steel/targets. But can load them hot for hunting.
I'll second this. My prs load is somewhat mild shooting a 109 berger at 3093 fps. Could easily shoot much faster but I want to to try to save on my barrel life.

Recent Posts