6 Dasher hydroforming

BigDaddyRay

I just received my hydroforming die set in the mail yesterday, now I have to get some 6br brass to form. Can anyone give me any tips or tricks seeing as this is my first crack at working with wildcats and case forming. I have read about people forming with oil, water or alcohol....I'm gonna try the alcohol, I don't want to make a mess with using oil. If anyone else is reloading 6 dasher, please pass the knowledge ......thanks

I just received my hydroforming die set in the mail yesterday, now I have to get some 6br brass to form. Can anyone give me any tips or tricks seeing as this is my first crack at working with wildcats and case forming. I have read about people forming with oil, water or alcohol....I'm gonna try the alcohol, I don't want to make a mess with using oil. If anyone else is reloading 6 dasher, please pass the knowledge ......thanks

any of the liquids mentioned will work, as liquids cannot be compressed. I personally can't ever see using strait water, but yes it'll work. The lighter weight viscosities will probably form more accurately, but will also need more pressure. I think I'd try Mobil DTE24 or even DTE21 synthetic hydraulic oil. Strait up mineral seal with a little bit of light machine oil added might be better yet. I'm thinking of rust and other things happening with the forming die here. All steels are somewhat porous, and it's going to happen sooner or later with water. Then with alcohol you are faced with the same issue from another direction. What interests me is whether or not you still have to fire form the case after hydroforming. Looks to me like you still will.

If you use oil to form your cases with, you can first give them a bath in mineral seal or even brake cleaner, and remove what remains in boiling water with a little soap in it.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.