6.8 Western

There is no way your numbers for the 270 wsm are correct .
I run your velocity at altitude on my app and have numbers no where close to what your claiming with your load !!
I get 1753 FPS and 887ft/lb at 1000yards with your load.
What your saying you get with your load beats my 270 wby shooting 140 classic hunters @ 3390 FPS 🤔 not likely
I ran a 130 Berger CH at 3089 fps at 7500 ft 40 degrees 25% RH and a 23.0 baro. What it was the last time I was in WY last fall. Just ran it again. Its correct. AB dont lie

Attachments

• 20210209_220717.jpg
    20210209_220717.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 88
I think it's cool and at least they don't seem to be lying about it as much as Hornady does... It is a straight lie that they say it's better than the 7remmag (Hornady also said the 350leg was better than the 30-30 and the 6arc hit as hard as a 308) it is a fast twist 270 that shoots heavy bullets off the shelf, that's about it! Oh and it fits in a short action. You can also have anything you want better than any cartrige up for discusion if you have your own machine shop or a gunsmith on speed dial.... This does it off the shelf.
That being said I've always had a facination for the good ol 270win as I read lots of Jack 'Oconnor books when I was a kid. The only thing that would be nice is a regular 270 with a fast twist barrel and heavy bullets.
So the sad thing is that previously there just weren't any heavy bullets in 270cal. So if you want that you really have to go to a 280/280ai or a 6.5-06 because there just are not many bullets available in 270 outside of the 85-150g range (I know there are some but it's not like 6.5 or 7bore.
The cool thing is this, although we may not need another cartrige but this gives Nosler, Federal, Speer and Hornady a reason to make bigger longer 270 bullets that we can all put in our wildcat projects. Like how about a fast twist 270 win set in a big weatherby action that's 3.6" long. Or being able to shoot a 165-175g eldm/x out of a 270wsm?
Right, like they lied about the Creed too. Good thing you have such extensive testing facilities to prove them wrong

So, how about how poor the timing is that they 277 sig fury and the 6.8 western are launched right on top of each other, and both of them fill a hole that didn't really exist. I think some of you nailed it, they are just praying to be the next 6.5cm. They are hoping for the equivalent of "going viral" in today's nonsensical world of cartridge marketing. The 6.5 caliber is exhausted for mass marketing, so they had to move on to thr next probable diameter opportunity.

Next year 4 companies will make .25 cartridges with awesome marketing names, and that is the culture we have now..
So all the ammo and gun manufacturers should all sit there and never have a new idea? I welcome the new cartridges and ideas. The exceptional cartridges will survive and I see that as a good thing.

So all the ammo and gun manufacturers should all sit there and never have a new idea? I welcome the new cartridges and ideas. The exceptional cartridges will survive and I see that as a good thing.
You should have read all of my comments in this thread. I agree and said so. But I will point out that cartridge survivability has nothing to do with being exceptional. Many exceptional cartridges are obscure or not even in production anymore, meanwhile (and under normal circumstances), your local gun store shelves are filled with mediocrity. Dedicated marketing make cartridges survive, not their exceptionalism.

Those people probably shouldn't be taking shots on animals at LR in the first place so what's the point?
I've taken many cow elk out to 800 yds with my $500 off the shelf 6.5 creedmoor rifle & off the shelf hornady ammo with 0 wound loss but apparently I have no business doing that[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I'm not sure where people are coming from on saying the 6.8 Western offers nothing. I do not know of any other 27 caliber cartridge that you could potentially buy an off the shelf short action rifle with off the shelf ammo and shoot a 165 ABLR at 2970 fps. If so please tell me cause I'd be interested in it

It will be interesting to see if those numbers prove out in the 6.8 western. The steak barely ever lives up to the sizzle

I'm not sure where people are coming from on saying the 6.8 Western offers nothing. I do not know of any other 27 caliber cartridge that you could potentially buy an off the shelf short action rifle with off the shelf ammo and shoot a 165 ABLR at 2970 fps. If so please tell me cause I'd be interested in it
270 wsm fits in a short action and has better performance. What caliber is the 6.8 western built on? 270 wsm

270 wsm fits in a short action and has better performance. What caliber is the 6.8 western built on? 270 wsm
I know plenty about the 270 WSM I own one but you aren't going to find an off the shelf 270 WSM with a barrel with fast enough twist to stabilize a 165 grain or heavier long range bullet & you surely won't find any ammo on the shelf loaded with a 165 grain or heavier long range bullet.

I know plenty about the 270 WSM I own one but you aren't going to find an off the shelf 270 WSM with a barrel with fast enough twist to stabilize a 165 grain or heavier long range bullet & you surely won't find any ammo on the shelf loaded with a 165 grain or heavier long range bullet.
Well, for the 9 people who have a 270wsm that know enough to care about having a faster twist barrel, that haven't already done it on their own, this should be a big deal.

For the 99.99% of hunters out there, the difference in those 165's and a 150 from a 270wsm will make zero difference.

You obviously don't research ballistics. They **** near identical, but you want to argue. Get that high dolled ammo from the latest and greatest. I will reload the better of the two.